Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Witney Super-Squeeze  (Read 14765 times)

Sue

• Good talker
Re: Witney Super-Squeeze
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »

I have been to the odd day at Concertinas @ W, but catering for three different concertina systems did reduce the number of useful technical workshops, and I didn't much go for band and ensemble playing.  I don't know why Dave has decided on this change but I'm rather sorry about it.  I don't live far from Witney and I have found M @ W a great help and encouragement in the past.  Ah well, wait and see what the new programme looks like.
Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »

I'm really not sure about this and my attendance will depend on who's going and what the programme looks like. I kinda like just being the melodeon crowd and don't understand why the change has taken place.  I am particularly concerned about classes being shared between melodeons and PAs as the two are just entirely different beasts with different functions and different techniques (plus I might accidentally come into contact with one which can't be good for my skin)  :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »

(plus I might accidentally come into contact with one which can't be good for my skin) 
Or your collection instinct. I can echo heart shaped. It is the only thing I've plucked up courage for, and would otherwise have been reattending.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

As someone idly cruising this thread as I was wondering about going ...... surely the impetus is driven by  simple economics?
i.e. only hiring the venue for one weekend instead of three must save money for a start?

It seems to have taken a different turn to the normal event format and now it doesn't seem as appealing as before.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »

(plus I might accidentally come into contact with one which can't be good for my skin) 
Or your collection instinct. I can echo heart shaped. It is the only thing I've plucked up courage for, and would otherwise have been reattending.

I can assure you coming into contact with PAs does not make me want to start collecting them.  >:E

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »

As someone idly cruising this thread as I was wondering about going ...... surely the impetus is driven by  simple economics?
I would suspect that age, the passage of time, and wanting to have a bit more life may have a bearing. I'm sure it's a great deal of work.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »

Yes Malcolm that too must have a bearing.
Until you step up to organising anything  you don't realise the work involved
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lyra

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »

It's a bold step - what if it turns chilly or someone suggests singing round the campfire?  8)

robotmay

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »

In theory I should probably be the target audience for this, as I currently own one of each type of instrument ::)
I'm not sure how useful I'll find concertina workshops, however, as I play Bb Maccann Duet, which is pretty obscure and means I don't even have the same fingering patterns as other Maccann players. And although I currently have a nice PA, I'm not overly interested in learning more on it.

I was debating whether to go to MAW this year anyway, as staying in Witney is pretty pricey. I've had vague plans of setting up something more affordable (i.e. involving camping) for a while, but I've been procrastinating on it as usual ;D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

New topic "Squeezing in the Dales"
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »

Dave Townsend has asked me to post the following on this forum:

A NEW WEEKEND FROM HANDS ON MUSIC

WITNEY SUPERSQUEEZE
A Weekend Music Course for
Concertinas, Melodeons and Accordions

Murray Grainger (Accordion), Robert Harbron (English Concertina), Paul Hutchinson (Accordion),
Ollie King (Melodeon), Geert Oude Weernink (Melodeon), Matt Quinn (Melodeon & Duet Concertina), Dave Townsend (English Concertina), Andy Turner (Anglo Concertina), Rees Wesson (Melodeon)

When & Where?
This new event will take place at Henry Box School, Witney, nr. Oxford, on 10th - 12th November 2017.

What’s New?
It’s a larger-scale weekend replacing Concertinas at Witney, Melodeons at Witney and Accordions at Witney. Some course units will be for specific instruments, some will be for any squeezebox, and there will be band and ensemble options as well.

What’s Old?
Like the former Hands On Music Weekends, it will  follow the same structure of course units, working with different tutors, and a concert with them on Saturday night. Music will be available a few weeks beforehand. And as always there will be top-rated tutors, some familiar faces and some less-known, all with an established track record in teaching and inspiring.

Like the former weekends, there will be detailed workshops on aspects of technique and traditional styles, as well as ensembles and accompaniment.

The weekend is non-residential, and is for adults who can already play their instrument.

When can I book?
The new website is still under construction. We’re hoping to open bookings in about four weeks’ time.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »

The Scananavian squeeze in, April, near Lund operates very sucessfully taking all manner of boxes, Anglos, EC's and melodeons … in various keys!  But there are only about 20 participants, less this year.

So for sessions etc I'd suggest that the numbers "add up" … perhaps to too many? As for courses:  I'm sure the school can take it. But can the hotel?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:04:07 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

robotmay

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »

Any word on when bookings will be available yet? I think I've come around to the idea of going, mostly just because there's a lot of nice tutors there (even if they don't all play my instruments, the band stuff should be interesting).

brackenrigg

• Geoff Wright
    • Bracken Rigg Scottish Ceilidh band
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

I am told you can now book (looked, but couldn't see where) ............................. before the courses have been finalised!!!!!
I wish DT very success with his new format.
http://www.davetownsendmusic.com/homweekends/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:46:07 AM by brackenrigg »
Bracken Rigg Band
brackenrigg@gmail.com
www.brackenrigg.co.uk

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

To book in go to the booking form page and cut and paste it into an email
I will wait until courses have been finalised to decide what to do this year
Having enjoyed Witney Melodeons over many years, since 2006, I also wish Dave Townsend success in his new format
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:32:17 AM by Barry M »

robotmay

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »

Right, I've sent my booking off. I'm curious to see what the workshops will be!
I've kinda run out of steam in going to workshops this past year, so it'll be nice to push myself a bit and try some on my ridiculous concertina (and perhaps even the PA I have lying around >:E)

robotmay

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »

Course units went out last night, and there's some really fun looking stuff on there. I was really conflicted on what to choose for nearly every module, but on the plus-side that means there's not really any bad backup choices either (:)

I'm hopefully mostly doing concertina workshops because I feel I'll probably get more out of that (I'm definitely gonna struggle if the tunes end up in anything sharper than G :Ph ), but the melodeon workshops look exciting too.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »

Course units went out last night, and there's some really fun looking stuff on there. I was really conflicted on what to choose for nearly every module, but on the plus-side that means there's not really any bad backup choices either (:)

I'm hopefully mostly doing concertina workshops because I feel I'll probably get more out of that (I'm definitely gonna struggle if the tunes end up in anything sharper than G :Ph ), but the melodeon workshops look exciting too.

Still nothing on the website than I can see - can you share the details here?

(still not sure whether to go to Witney or Thrales weekend)

robotmay

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »

WITNEY SUPERSQUEEZE 2017 COURSE UNITS

Choose one from each list, and also give a second choice in case your first choice is full
Details on Levels on the website

SATURDAY MORNING
A1 - Murray Grainger - French Music
A selection of French dance music from different traditions, with the emphasis on style and arrangement.
All Boxes (with special reference to Piano Accordion)
Level - I/H

A2 - Robert Harbron - Getting the Basics Right
A few simple tunes and the techniques needed to play them well.
English Concertina
Level - B/I

A3 - Paul Hutchinson - Spring Cleaning
How to de-clutter your accordion repertoire and brighten it up with a few simple ideas and techniques. Piano Accordion
Level - B/I

A4 - Ollie King - Right Hand Harmony
Looking at how to create chords and harmonies on the right hand of the melodeon, their musical application, and how to use them for accompaniment.
G/D Melodeon
Level - I/H

A5 - Geert Oude Weernink - Latin Passions
We will be exploring some spicy and rhythmical dance tunes from Latin America, such as Tango and Rumba.
G/D Melodeon
Level - I/H

A6 - Matt Quinn - Starting Out Across the Rows
How to make the best use of the alternative notes on the two rows of a G/D Melodeon, for fluency, rhythm, pace and harmony.
G/D Melodeon
Level - B/I

A7 - Dave Townsend - Concertina Harmony
How to make harmonies and chords sound good on the concertina. A little bit of work on how they are made, and a lot on how to use them.
All Concertinas
Level - I/H

A8 - Andy Turner - Playing with Punch
You’re an Anglo player, you've got a few simple dance tunes under your belt, now let's look at ways of making them more danceable.
Anglo Concertina
Level - B/I

A9 - Rees Wesson - One-Row Styles
Cajun, Zydeco and Irish styles which focus on the strengths of the one-row melodeon. This will be taught in D, so you can bring a D one-row or just work on the D row of your G/D melodeon.
G/D Melodeon or D One-Row Melodeon
Level - B/I

SATURDAY AFTERNOON
B1 - Murray Grainger - Accordion Basics
What you need for lively and musical accordion playing.
Piano Accordion
Level - B/I

B2 - Robert Harbron - Beyond the Dots
We will explore some trickier tunes and look at how a lighter touch on the instrument can help us play better and allow us to explore rhythm, groove, phrasing, ornamentation and harmony.
English Concertina
Level - I/H

B3 - Paul Hutchinson - Caveat Emptor
An opportunity to explore some tunes from the Keevil Manuscript
All Boxes
Level - I

B4 - Ollie King - Making New Tunes
Composing tunes for any squeezebox, working by ear  - this won’t require any knowledge of dots or anything like that. I write all my tunes by sitting down and improvising, so this will be the basis for the unit.
All Boxes, working mainly by ear
Level - I/H

B5 - Geert Oude Weernink - Tender Loving Bellows
Always wanted to play a sweet, romantic tune for your partner (to be), but you don't know how to? In this workshop we'll be playing French, Italian and other continental tunes.
G/D Melodeon
Level - B/I

B6 - Matt Quinn - Concertina Accompaniment
Exploring all the issues of harmony, balance and texture when creating concertina accompaniments,
with special reference to Duet systems.
All Concertinas
Level - I/H

B7 - Dave Townsend - Tunes from Northern England
A quick tour of  the North, from Lakeland fiddlers to Northumbrian pipers, Lancashire clogs to Yorkshire swords.
All Boxes
Level - B/I/H

B8 - Andy Turner - Playing for Dance
The full kit - rhythm, pace, arrangement, starts & stops.
All Boxes
Level - B/I/H

B9 - Rees Wesson - Blues & Cajun in F# Minor
Yes it’s for G/D Melodeon, exploring the knack of playing ‘backwards’ in the old Cajun manner, with the moody minor-key sound of the Swamp Blues. This unit is also suitable for accordion and concertina. So don’t be afraid, just watch out for the alligators.
G/D Melodeon, Concertina, Piano Accordion
Level - I/H

SUNDAY
C1 - Murray Grainger - Accordion Left Hand
How to get the best out of the standard accordion Bass layout, with different vamping patterns, adding basses together, and bass runs. You’ll need at least a 48-bass instrument to get the best out of this.
Piano Accordion
Level - B/I

C2 - Robert Harbron - Ensemble Building
Exploring techniques and strategies for playing with other musicians to create some spontaneous small ensembles within the group. We will work by ear as much as possible, using tunes which will be sent out in advance. For more confident players of all instruments. (all instruments, for more confident players).
All Boxes, mainly by ear
Level - I/H

C3 - Paul Hutchinson - Pre-Brexit Tunes
Gems such as Mikyael Turner’s Walc, Lithuanian Washerwoman et beaucoup plus   .   .   . with harmony parts too!
All Boxes (with special reference to Piano Accordion)
Level - I/H

C4 - Ollie King - Top Tricks to Improve Your Playing
I'll focus on small but simple playing techniques that can instantly improve your playing - as well as bad habits to avoid for the future.
G/D Melodeon
Level - B/I

C5 - Geert Oude Weernink - Chasing the Spider
In southern Italy lives the venomous tarantula spider. Once someone suffers a bite, they have to dance the tarantella - to the sound of an organetto and tambourin - for three hours in the baking sun to sweat out the venom   .   .   .
And that's what we'll be doing in this workshop; playing a variety of exciting dance music, with various layers and yes, with a little bit of sweat too!!
All Boxes
Level - B/I/H

C6 - Matt Quinn - Minor Chords on the Melodeon
Understanding how the minor chords on a standard G/D melodeon work, and learning where to put them.
G/D Melodeon
Level - I/H

C7 - Dave Townsend - Concertina Band: Tunes & Marches
The reply of a Lancashire concertina band veteran, on being asked what his band used to play, was ‘Tunes and marches’. This unit will re-create the sound of the concertina bands of the early twentieth century, with parts suitable for anyone who can read music reasonably well (parts will be available in advance). There will be bass and baritone English concertinas to borrow.
All Concertinas (with special reference to English System)
Level - I/H

C8 - Andy Turner - Three-Quarter Time
 - and 3/8 and 3/2 time as well! The great variety of tunes in triple rhythms, from various different traditions, for any squeezebox.
All Boxes
Level - B/I

[There is no C9]

Pow!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »

Is it just me who's teeth itched at the repeated use of "G/D melodeon"   :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal