Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Witney Super-Squeeze  (Read 14766 times)

robotmay

Re: Witney Super-Squeeze
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »

Yeah there should definitely be some Bb/Eb stuff in there >:E

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »

Is it just me who's teeth itched at the repeated use of "G/D melodeon"   :-\

Nope, me too. Every year....
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »

Thanks for sharing the programme Rob, there are a couple of gems in there, sadly not enough to give me any desirable second choices should my favourites be full so I don't think I can risk it.  That's a shame  :(
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »

no, me to..
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

Miserable of Wendover here
B9 - Rees Wesson - Blues & Cajun in F# Minor
Yes it’s for G/D Melodeon, exploring the knack of playing ‘backwards’ in the old Cajun manner, with the moody minor-key sound of the Swamp Blues. This unit is also suitable for accordion and concertina. So don’t be afraid, just watch out for the alligators.
G/D Melodeon, Concertina, Piano Accordion
Level - I/H

I've done a precursor of this a good few years ago at Witney with Rees. It was hard work for melodeon players as it is all not at all English style so required a lot of brain work on the part of the attendees and some really supportive prodding by Rees.

Add into this some PA players and concertina players of any of 3 systems and it would seem to be a recipe for disaster.

Wish Rees every success and I'm sure it will work out, but it will be to the detriment of the players of the one true free reed instrument.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »

Piece of cake Lester, there are only five notes in the scale. It's very similar to Irish one-row style.
Sorry it isn't English style but not everything is bloody Morris dancing!
Come one, come all and let's get the blues!  (:)

PS. I hope it's for D/G melodeon not G/D as I don't have one of those!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:10:56 AM by Rees »
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »

Might need to borrow a D/G concertina.  >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

robotmay

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »

Piece of cake Lester, there are only five notes in the scale. It's very similar to Irish one-row style.
Sorry it's isn't English style but not everything is bloody Morris dancing!
Come one, come all and let's get the blues!  (:)

PS. I hope it's for D/G melodeon not G/D as I don't have one of those!

Argh there are lots of things I wanted to do on the Saturday afternoon, your module included; it sounds like a lot of fun ;D
I've gone for Matt Quinn's one as a first choice though because I could definitely do with some harmony work on the concertina.

After seeing the module options I'm excited for this year's Witney; the evening sessions should be good fun and there's always something to learn from other instruments.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »

Whose.  Who's the pedant now? 😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »

Just had my confirmation for Super Squeeze
Looking forward to A4 Ollie King, B9 Rees Wesson and C6 Matt Quinn
Agree with robotmay lots to learn from other instruments
Should be an interesting weekend and concert

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »

Dave's just been on the blower, wants me to record some tunes for the workshops and provide the dots. Aaaaaaargh!
Doesn't he know I'm an artist?
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »

The link to Music for the Supersqueeze and MP3's has just been mailed out  - plenty of learning time!

Simon

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

It's good that Witney Super Squeeze mail out the sheet music and sound files in advance
Dave Townsend's email on the 19th indicated that places were still available
Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:43:46 PM by Barry M »

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »

This thread echoes thoughts about our own "North East Sqeeze In". 
But this side of the Pond, we really can't help it, hard to get a quoroum for melodeon "only", so we are used to the "free reed" concept. 
I don't know what yours will be like, ours is VERY concertina heavy, surprising (to me, anyway) how may PA's; probably button accordions (½ Irish and ½ not) only slightly more plentiful than CBA (!).
The concertina people seem to love it.  The rest, I think, show up.  Fun in a folk festival kinda way....
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »

Supersqueeze successs.

Got back late last night after what appeared to be a very successful weekend organised by Dave Townsend
Obviously I was there in a non playing capacity as a Trader but I saw no stand offs and instruments at 10 paces.

Everyone seemed to really enjoy the weekend and the concert was about the most entertaining one I have been to over the last few years.The concert highlight however which totally stole the show was a duet between Rees Wesson  on melodeon and Paul Hutchinson on piano accordion,brilliant.

Next year don't be put off by the mix of instruments,you just may learn something new from each other.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Peter Morris

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »

Dear Melodeon players I did go to the supersqueeze this last weekend but with great apprehension. I went because I wanted to work on the different tunes Rees and Geert were offering but I thought it would be weird working with accordion and concertina players.

My first impression was they (non melodeon players) don't have horns and didn't worship the devil.  Seriously though there were positives and negatives. The negs first. I couldn't understand what accordian and English concertina players would get from Rees' F#m workshop,its just another key to them,  but Rees did a great job of including them. I missed a lot of you to chat with, swop melodeon stories, discuss how to do this and that, relative merits of three voice, two voice, three row, two row, one row etc and I missed the collective energy of lots of melodeons playing.

However the workshops on  tunes offered by Geert on mazurkas, tango, Italian tarantellas and the like were excellent for both melodeons and accordians, because it was about how to play the tunes and the accompanying bass chords in order to play these pieces successfully, so both instruments were equal in that. But the concertinas players needed to be fairly advanced to get a lot out of these workshops. 10 out of 10 for Geert for getting the best out of the different instruments. However melodeon players needed to be well prepared to get the most out of these tunes as the notes were more difficult for a box than an accordian. On the positive side the collective energy of so many instruments playing well carried you along even if, like me, you missed a few notes or bars.

Whilst I missed a lot of melodeons it was really interesting to see how accordians tackled the intricacies of the tunes and meeting new players was some compensation for the loss of the melodeons at Witney.

I left on Sunday afternoon feeling I want to go to a melodeon only weekend but I  will go again to the supersqueeze if it offers the balance for tutors and workshops matched to the instruments. I'm not so immersed in melodeons that I can't see the benefit of experiencing other instruments playing the same tunes. So yes I missed Melodeons at Witney but if it has to be supersqueeze then it's ok and an interesting experience.
Peter Morris DG player

robotmay

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

I'd say that's the best Witney event I've been to. The type of classes seemed to be more geared towards playing technique rather than just playing a few tunes, and the ensemble/band workshops on the Sunday seemed to work really well. Ollie's class on writing music produced a really nice tune!

I spent most of the time on my concertina as I have more to learn on that, but I think a lot of people missed out by not going because of the introduction of other instruments. You'd never normally have been able to do a class on the melodeon with people like Rob Harbron, who actually had a lot of great tips and techniques for all types of instruments. Some of the exercises in that class were really challenging. The duet concertina harmony workshop was er, compact, being just three of us including the tutor Matt ;D, but otherwise the classes seemed to be well attended and it was really good to get a chance to play with people on various instruments in the classes.

Definitely agree with Pete that the concert was great; it was a much better format than that of previous years. The Friday session in the hall was awkward as usual but we had a nice follow-up session in the New Inn.

I found more interesting things in the market this year too, which resulted in me buying a rather elderly Castagnari Dony ::)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:15:57 PM by robotmay »

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »

Nice to see everyone in my capacity as someone trying to sell you things!  It was interesting to see the results and talk to Ollie about the tune-writing workshop as I did a similar day-long workshop for Soundpost in Sheffield on the Saturday.  I have to say that I was fairly nervous about being asked to teach that at first, but actually it proved very successful and on the way made me think in really interesting ways about how I actually write tunes myself!

I also found more interesting things on the the market and ended up going away with an old miniature one-row in "B-ish"!  There might be another thread about that soon.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

robotmay

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »

I also found more interesting things on the the market and ended up going away with an old miniature one-row in "B-ish"!  There might be another thread about that soon.

I will be very disappointed if I don't see that in a session next year >:E

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:34 PM »

I left on Sunday afternoon feeling I want to go to a melodeon only weekend but I  will go again to the supersqueeze if it offers the balance for tutors and workshops matched to the instruments. I'm not so immersed in melodeons that I can't see the benefit of experiencing other instruments playing the same tunes. So yes I missed Melodeons at Witney but if it has to be supersqueeze then it's ok and an interesting experience.
You could always come to Melodeons in Wensleydale next April! It's filling up fast but there are still some places left.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal