Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chirpy cheepy wireless belt pack transmitters.  (Read 2379 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Chirpy cheepy wireless belt pack transmitters.
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »

Has anyone any experience of using gear4music's own brand  175/174.1 MHz belt pack transmitter systems? Given the the fact that they are very very cheap, is there a good reason not to use them in a situation where cheap and dirty fits the bill?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
Re: Chirpy cheepy wireless belt pack transmitters.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

I always think of cheap and dirty as 'fit for purpose'! It's when the purpose changes, you end up spending more  :( I try to think long term these days and, of course, read lots of reviews (some with a pinch of salt).

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »

I always think of cheap and dirty as 'fit for purpose'! It's when the purpose changes, you end up spending more  :( I try to think long term these days and, of course, read lots of reviews (some with a pinch of salt).

Stephen

That's why I'm asking really. I can't find any reviews of these products. I already have a QTX12 PA and a couple of microphones to match. I have found the mics surprisingly acceptable for use. It may not be hifi but it's definitely ok. I've had no problems with interferance from other sources, for instance. For less than £20 I can have a belt pack as well. The only drawback I can think of at the moment is being limited to two channels, but I've only got two channels in my PA.   
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

Stephen

That's why I'm asking really. I can't find any reviews of these products. I already have a QTX12 PA and a couple of microphones to match. I have found the mics surprisingly acceptable for use. It may not be hifi but it's definitely ok. I've had no problems with interferance from other sources, for instance. For less than £20 I can have a belt pack as well. The only drawback I can think of at the moment is being limited to two channels, but I've only got two channels in my PA.

I think the two channels refers to the number of radio frequencies available (175/174.1 MHz) and not the number of outputs to your PA system.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »

I think the two channels refers to the number of radio frequencies available (175/174.1 MHz) and not the number of outputs to your PA system.

You're quite right Rees. Sorry if I was misleading.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be the first to try these out. The only thing  worrying me is they're cheaper than chips.
Greg Smith

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:55:50 PM »

I think those belt pack transmitters work with the wireless receivers on the QTX PAs, so they are direct replacement/alternatives to the two hand held wireless mics that come with the portable PA which operate on the same two frequencies.

If you want to try to use the belt pack with something other than the neckband mic then its unclear what connector is used.

Gear4music have good customer service in my experience, so for that price, order one and try it. You've got 30 days to get your money back if it falls short of expectations.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

I think those belt pack transmitters work with the wireless receivers on the QTX PAs, so they are direct replacement/alternatives to the two hand held wireless mics that come with the portable PA which operate on the same two frequencies.

If you want to try to use the belt pack with something other than the neckband mic then its unclear what connector is used.

Gear4music have good customer service in my experience, so for that price, order one and try it. You've got 30 days to get your money back if it falls short of expectations.

I'm pretty sure it's a 3.5mm jack. Probably mono. I've asked them to clarify.
(edited to say I've found the manual on line and they're bog standard  6.3mm mono jacks)

You're right about their service and terms. I hadn't thought of that. It's not, normally, my style, but it could be this time. And, it is cheap. And nobody has turned round and said they're rubbish.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:06:16 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

According to Canford Audio 174.1 MHz is used by "legacy" equipment. The Ofcom website provides a list of licence-free frequencies and 174.1 MHz is not listed. I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy but you might want to think twice about using that particular frequency.

I haven't used the Gear4Music VHF mics but I have bought "cheap but functional" equipment from the company and it always does what it claims reasonably well.

FWIW I have used Alesis Bluetooth wireless links on stage and they work quite well but do generate horrible noise when the batteries fail, much worse than a conventional FM radio mic.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »

According to Canford Audio 174.1 MHz is used by "legacy" equipment. The Ofcom website provides a list of licence-free frequencies and 174.1 MHz is not listed. I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy but you might want to think twice about using that particular frequency.

I haven't used the Gear4Music VHF mics but I have bought "cheap but functional" equipment from the company and it always does what it claims reasonably well.

FWIW I have used Alesis Bluetooth wireless links on stage and they work quite well but do generate horrible noise when the batteries fail, much worse than a conventional FM radio mic.

Hmm. Interesting. I've been using 174.1MHz  wireless mics for the past year. I'll check back with gear4music that they're legal.

Edited to say I looked at the OFCOM site and it lists UHF  173.8 - 175 MHz as being licence free. I think I'm OK.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:34:44 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »

There's a good summary of what's legal (i.e. unlicensed frequencies) on the Canford Audio site: http://www.canford.co.uk/Technical/Article/UKLegalRadioMicFrequencies

That's probably what JD was referring to. Canford are  a respectable professional grade audio equipment supplier, and I'd expect them to have their facts right.

They say 174.1 is a "legacy" frequency that may still be used by older equipment, but should not be used by new equipment.

For new mics UHF will give you better performance than VHF and less likelihood of interference, but they come a bit pricier.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

Hmm. Interesting. I've been using 174.1MHz  wireless mics for the past year. I'll check back with gear4music that they're legal.

Edited to say I looked at the OFCOM site and it lists VHF 174.1MHz as being a licence free legacy frequency . Clearly, I OK for existing equipment.  Not sure where I stand with new transmitter for older equipment.  There are no effective dates given.   

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:37:06 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »

I think that the only problem that you might encounter stems from the unregulated use of this part of the spectrum.  I did a ceilidh in a club a couple of years ago and the bingo caller upstairs would occasionally come through the dance callers radio mic.  I have heard similar stories very occasionally of taxi radio breaking through too,  but all these things are pretty unusual.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »

I think that the only problem that you might encounter stems from the unregulated use of this part of the spectrum.  I did a ceilidh in a club a couple of years ago and the bingo caller upstairs would occasionally come through the dance callers radio mic.  I have heard similar stories very occasionally of taxi radio breaking through too,  but all these things are pretty unusual.

If this does happen I'll just have to plug myself back in, I suppose. Not the end of the world, but I do like to move around when I play.
Greg Smith

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »

Having read a bit further on the subject it appears that 174.1 MHz is ok to use with equipment that has MPT1345 or 1311 approval. If it does what you need then carry on using it.

I wonder if interference with VHF radio mics is less common now because taxi firms seem exclusively to use mobile phones. The days of badly maintained Pye two way radios are long gone, thank goodness.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »

Belt pack ordered! I'll give some feed back after I've used them for a bit.
Greg Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal