Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 1/2 row layouts?  (Read 1208 times)

lefthandsqueezer

2 1/2 row layouts?
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

Hello All. Forum wisdom time again. Those lovely people at Castagnari have given me the option on several lefthanded boxes, a couple of 2 rows and a Mory. If I go for a Mory it's a question of what layout. Standard castagnari or Andy Cuttings layout. Wondered what the opinion is on both? At a glance it looks to me as if Andy's system would allow easier playing in the keys of F,C,G,D & A Major. I play English trad. Looks like Andy's would allow one to get down lower in the scale.
Anyway would be interested to hear what you all think.
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
Re: 2 1/2 row layouts?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »

Be careful that the current Castagnari standard layout might not be what you think it is (ie it's not the one that is on this site under the layout examples).  See this thread:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19250.0.html

You might also want to consider Steve_freereeder's layout which I think is very good (again see the thread).  I decided on a slight variation of this layout in the end that was more "2 voice friendly" to put in some more low notes and am really pleased with the results.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »

Thanks for the heads up there nigelr. Got to consider carefully Casta want to know within 2 weeks as they are starting a Mory production run then. Just for general interest they say they can mod 2 row instruments reletively easily but the Mory has to be made lefthanded from the begining.
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »

I'd advise against the Andy Cutting layout, at least on the left hand. It's my understanding that he's got two pull A's, one major one minor, and I think somewhere I've seen him talking about how he'd likely not do that if he could go back and start over. Not the best use of real estate in my opinion.

Bob Ellis has a nice 2.5 row layout that he put together for his Guais. Perhaps he will chime in.

Thanks,
Baron
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal