Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows breckin time and that hohner sound  (Read 778 times)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Bellows breckin time and that hohner sound
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »

Hi guys have finally !!! decided on my layout and setup ,and having acquired yet another liliput ,a Bb/Eb
I had unfairly based my slightly critical judgment on a dryer tuned flappy Bb/Eb darren has ,but my new one is that original lovely hohner wash tremolo and has become my instant favorite.

I,m assuming (never assume anything) all lilliputs have the same bellows card thickness,density,construction but all mine play slightly differently. I,m thinking the bellows break in over the years and the two lilliputs that are virtually unplayed have that tight castagnari lilly feel because of lack of use? all my liliputs are airtight using the tongue test lol but the fettled one very played, has a much looser feel.

Also does the card just naturally degrade over the years,can one just buy a new set of quality bellows for a liliput
thanks 

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Bellows breckin time and that hohner sound
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »

IMHO>Never had a liliput with bad bellows they do very widely in feel I really like lose and well played.Some come unplayed. I have a few and the sound and feel varies a lot.But not the hohner trem unless reworked. I think the history especially how they are stored if they are moved regular or stay in one position for sixty years or what they were made off and were makes the difference and like all hohner they can get the well played fast feel with out airloss. The valves leather or plastic make a bid difference especially old leather best to replace if they honk.The reeds will fall out as wax fails as will leather valves.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
Re: Bellows breckin time and that hohner sound
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »

Many thanks ,all the bellows seem in excellent condition perhaps as three of my liliputs were cased and one had a piece of greaseproof like paper ,probably bought and just put under a bed.
I like the shabby looser feel one, its the most used so as you say probably well broken in.
I,m actually just playing now and deciding on the two keepers to get fettled ,my head has just about stopped spinning from my
layout conundrum lol     
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal