Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: You say Brasso, I say Duraglit  (Read 10162 times)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Re: You say Brasso, I say Duraglit
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »

In Oz, while Brasso is advertised as a wadding polish, it is hard to find on retail shop shelves, though the liquid variety is readily available.
However, locally produced product "Brite Shine" (colloquially known with a better rhyming name), and US import "NevrDull" are readily available, the former mainly through motor accessory stores and the latter through antique traders and restorers.

Presumably NevrDull is also available retail in the US. Interestingly, the recommended additive for rejuvenation is white spirit. Is that what they call paraffin in the US?

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

ACE

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

Autosol, not to be confused with anusol gives a good finish without having piles of work to do.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »

Anyone remember Bluebell? Apart from the name, identical to brasso...

You really are a navy man Brian, and Admy Pat Kiwi boot polish.
I thought Admy Pat was a brand like Acme in the cartoons.
   Back to the op. Rog. I feel that both are good and on cleaning won't take off the plating. One thing though, don't get ammonia anyway near brass. It shines it up and then goesa  total green yuk!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 12:45:23 AM »

You must weigh up to seven tons now Richard what with all that coat getting.  >:E

Interesting observation, I'll have you know Sir Nick that I have weighed the same for the last 30 years, I climb purposefully on the antique analogue bathroom scales each day for my 'mirror mirror' moment and (regardless of coat density, mud on boots, pocket stock of nuts bolts nails etc) am rewarded with the warm feeling that consistently weighing J Salter & Co Birmingham, Patent Pending again gives (:)  Howsumever, following a recent run in with the fiendish 'electric chair' which only works in Kilos (at a recent MOT for diabolic people) prompted a hurried look at their reference chart, for the re assurance of any others, a male person weighing J Salter etc etc ought to have attained a height of 14'7", I am therefore currently looking for low carb height promoting foods, so far a diet of dried bellows, minced Liliputs (minus reeds, wax & celluloid) overcoats and fluffcakes from the drier filter appear to be having any effect, no height gain but I've lost nearly a whole Pending in weight this week  - unfortunately this prevents my normal rise and shine as yeast and Brasso are both off the menu for the time being  ;)

Back to Brasso, I tried to get hold of an old friend who was part of Reckitt and Colmans maintenance crew for years here in Norwich as he might know more about it if it was made here, it was originally a Reckitt product and they were based up in or near Hull, suspect he's on holiday but will report back if anything is forthcoming.

White spirit in the UK is turps substitute and possibly mineral spirit in the US, UK paraffin is the US kerosene equivalent, different fractions but many similarities as solvents. All rather confusing really

Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 07:39:39 AM »

Not sure of the differences between Brasso & Silvo, but I can attest that you can drink Silvo. Never did me any harm - no wait; that might explain a few things...
In my defence I was a lot younger & even dumber than I am now (I also ate a 'C' size battery  :o)
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »

You guys ... ::)...  but seriously...thanks.  I added some meths to my Duraglit and this seemed to revive it, though it now pongs a bit. I read somewhere that a few drops of alcohol would revive dry wadding. Interestingly the ceramics restorer i recently met on The Repair Shop said she struggled to get hold of pure alcohol, but that meths was a reasonable substitute. And all this because I've been cleaning up the metal ends on a Lachenal 'ten bob'. The Brasso has worked very well.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

Careful Roger, meths + Brasso = B@ileys substitute - blindness in a glass (and possible cure for MAD unless you learn to ebay in Braille)

IMS - (industrial meths)  which doesn't usually contain the purple dye or pyridine taste /smell denaturing components or iso propyl alcohol can be used if the pong is intolerable but not so easy to buy.

For unplated brass a soak in citric acid solution take some beating, although it leaves a copper rich surface, a rub over wet with ultrafine steel wool or scotchbrite takes care of that.

Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal