Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweet Hesleyside  (Read 3257 times)

press on regardless

Sweet Hesleyside
« on: December 27, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »

Would just like to recommend this beautiful tune which can be found on the Folkworks at Sage CD and book of dots volume 111. It's in G and described as a Northumbrian slow air but seems to work at faster tempo's too. There's loads of opportunity for a novice to experiment with bass harmonisation etc and its just a wonderful haunting tune. Can't find any history about it, would be very interested if anybody knows.

Happy new year,

Paul   

PS IMHO its a great shame more sessions don't go for some slower tunes.

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
Re: Sweet Hesleyside
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »

There is a lovely version of it (played on Northumbrian smallpipes) on Kathryn Tickell's On Kielder Side LP and CD. I've started several impromptu sessions at the Northeast Squeeze-In by starting to play Sweet Hesleyside, Crooked Bawbee or Da Slockit Light at a very low tempo. They make a nice change from the frenetic pace of so much of the other music on the weekend.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 05:05:51 PM »

What a nice tune! I discovered I have the notes for it in
Pete Loud's Collection of Northumbrian etc Tunes for the Fiddle
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:07:26 PM by wgwy »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »

It's also in The Northumbrian Piper's Tune Book, which is where I learned it from.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal