Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018  (Read 44870 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »

Swaledale has for many years had an event for concertina players called 'The Swaledale Squeeze", which seems to be popular and successful - although I've never attended it. It has been in the back of my mind for sometime that there might be sufficient interest to make a similar event for melodeons in Wensleydale worth organising - a northern version of Melodeons at Witney in beautiful scenery. I've not done anything about it because I didn't want to put Dave Townsend's nose out of joint. However, if the general feeling is that the Witney Super-Squeeze is not what melodeon players want, then a 'Melodeons in Wensleydale' event might be worth considering. However, I would be inclined to see how the Witney Super-Squeeze goes this November before considering whether to organise an alternative event.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:41:37 AM by Theo »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

It has been in the back of my mind for sometime that there might be sufficient interest to make a similar event for melodeons in Wensleydale worth organising - a northern version of Melodeons at Witney in beautiful scenery. I've not done anything about it because I didn't want to put Dave Townsend's nose out of joint. However, if the general feeling is that the Witney Super-Squeeze is not what melodeon players want, then a 'Melodeons in Wensleydale' event might be worth considering. However, I would be inclined to see how the Witney Super-Squeeze goes this November before considering whether to organise an alternative event.

Oh Yes Please!  (:)
Just do it please, Bob! I'm sure Dave Townsend would not object. If it was in the spring time it wouldn't clash with Witney, yet still be early enough not to clash with the big festivals.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

i would love an excuse to visit the Dales (not that I really need one), one of my favourite parts of the country.
Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »

considering whether to organise an alternative event.
Additional rather than alternative, surely!

If it was in the spring time it wouldn't clash with Witney, yet still be early enough not to clash with the big festivals
Presumably "spring" would be after Melodeons & More?

As an aside - I play D/G "socially" but am increasingly wanting to get into/improve playing more in G/C: are there any events catering for G/C in the UK, or might there be scope/a market for some G/C provision at one that's primarily D/G? I haven't spotted any, but have met a couple of people who're playing French music on D/Gs "because I have to be able to play with people".

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »

D'you know there have been mutterings about putting Melodeon Playgroup on a more formal and commercial footing but I have resisted these thus far as I feel it would  rather ruin the spirit of playgroup.  This makes me think again - if Super Squeeze isn't doing it for us as a group then maybe there is a gap in the market for an alternative/additional event.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »

Great idea Bob. The first melodeon weekend at Halsway two weeks ago was really good - I'm hoping that it will become a regular event - but obviously it's a long trek from the north.
I really enjoyed the two Witney weekends I've been to - and was looking forward to this year's event, brightening up November as it does. I do wonder whether the p.a and concertina players have similar misgivings about the super squeeze...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »

D'you know there have been mutterings about putting Melodeon Playgroup on a more formal and commercial footing but I have resisted these thus far as I feel it would  rather ruin the spirit of playgroup.  This makes me think again - if Super Squeeze isn't doing it for us as a group then maybe there is a gap in the market for an alternative/additional event.

Mind reading again

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

We seem to be burying the event before it's had time to die  :o   although the discussion does look to have a "self-fulfilling" air about it.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »

considering whether to organise an alternative event.
Additional rather than alternative, surely!

If it was in the spring time it wouldn't clash with Witney, yet still be early enough not to clash with the big festivals
Presumably "spring" would be after Melodeons & More?

As an aside - I play D/G "socially" but am increasingly wanting to get into/improve playing more in G/C: are there any events catering for G/C in the UK, or might there be scope/a market for some G/C provision at one that's primarily D/G? I haven't spotted any, but have met a couple of people who're playing French music on D/Gs "because I have to be able to play with people".

Yes - M&M in Mendlesham is at the end of March, and just for one day. A weekend Melodeons in Wensleydale could usefully come at the end of April or early May.

it would be nice to get some alternative tuning sessions/workshops going on - several times I have tried to persuade Dave Townsend to run a G/C workshop as part of Melodeons at Witney, but he didn't think there would be enough takers. Maybe it would work 'oop north' - perhaps get Emmanuel Pariselle or Christian Maes as tutors?

We seem to be burying the event before it's had time to die...

No, not burying, just thinking about some alternative/additional options.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:44:14 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

I play D/G "socially" but am increasingly wanting to get into/improve playing more in G/C: are there any events catering for G/C in the UK, or might there be scope/a market for some G/C provision at one that's primarily D/G? I haven't spotted any, but have met a couple of people who're playing French music on D/Gs "because I have to be able to play with people".

Find a local French music/dance group that runs music workshops? They seem to be happening all over the country.
For example on the rare occasions when I manage to get to a Cam-French meeting, it's a chance to get my G/C box out.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

Swaledale has for many years had an event for concertina players called 'The Swaledale Squeeze", which seems to be popular and successful - although I've never attended it. It has been in the back of my mind for sometime that there might be sufficient interest to make a similar event for melodeons in Wensleydale worth organising - a northern version of Melodeons at Witney in beautiful scenery. I've not done anything about it because I didn't want to put Dave Townsend's nose out of joint. However, if the general feeling is that the Witney Super-Squeeze is not what melodeon players want, then a 'Melodeons in Wensleydale' event might be worth considering. However, I would be inclined to see how the Witney Super-Squeeze goes this November before considering whether to organise an alternative event.

you can put me down for it NOW!
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »

And me too.

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »

Me too.  I have never been to Whitney, the long motorway drive has always put me off but I would be up for tootling up to the Dales.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »

We seem to be burying the event before it's had time to die  :o   although the discussion does look to have a "self-fulfilling" air about it.
I know what you mean, but it may partly be in hope that the changes aren't made, or that we can add something else to the calendar - and further north too.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »

Having just looked at the map.....further north is ok but somewhere relatively central would be more accessable for a majority of people.
Q
realising how far Wenslydale is, and how far Bob came when I last saw him!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »

Having just looked at the map.....further north is ok but somewhere relatively central would be more accessable for a majority of people.
Q
realising how far Wenslydale is, and how far Bob came when I last saw him!

Like Bretforton for example? >:E

Barnful of Boxes anyone?  :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »

I would avoid May.  If you're involved in Morris it can get quite hectic after May Day.
Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:01:28 PM »

I'm taking note of the comments and thinking seriously about it - weighing up the practicalities. IF Melodeons in Wensleydale is to be anything more than a pipe-dream, a number of issues need to be addressed. Firstly, the question of whether southerners would come. A fairly high proportion of the attenders at Melodeons at Witney come from the north, but some of the comments already posted here suggest that southerners might not be as willing to travel north as northerners seem to be to travel south. If that is the case, then it would not be viable.

If the event were to take place further south, then I don't think it would work in Bretforton. It works well for Melodeon Playgroup, but I don't think there are enough teaching spaces or a large enough assembly area for a larger event. It also has limited parking and B&B facilities, whilst accommodation for motorhomes and caravans is also problematic. That is not to say that somewhere else in that area (e.g. Evesham or Upton) would not be feasible.

Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »

Wensleydale is 90 miles south from me. Witney's an EXTRA 200 miles. But I chose to live here.
I understand the uphill thing, my family think it is so much harder to come north than go south.
Keep it brewing Bob. There must be an app to find where central is. But actually, I guess it would be wherever is most convenient for you, if you're considering it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lyra

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »

What would be uber cool would be to livestream one of the sessions. Not the whole thing, obviously as that would miss (much of) the point of the weekend, but one workshop I would gladly sit up for and (fork out for) as 200 miles is a stretch but umpty thousand is a non-starter.
I realise it's just a pipe dream/workshop envy but still. Maybe one day ....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal