Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018  (Read 44865 times)

heartshaped1

• Good talker
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »

I'm taking note of the comments and thinking seriously about it - weighing up the practicalities. IF Melodeons in Wensleydale is to be anything more than a pipe-dream, a number of issues need to be addressed. Firstly, the question of whether southerners would come. A fairly high proportion of the attenders at Melodeons at Witney come from the north, but some of the comments already posted here suggest that southerners might not be as willing to travel north as northerners seem to be to travel south. If that is the case, then it would not be viable.

If the event were to take place further south, then I don't think it would work in Bretforton. It works well for Melodeon Playgroup, but I don't think there are enough teaching spaces or a large enough assembly area for a larger event. It also has limited parking and B&B facilities, whilst accommodation for motorhomes and caravans is also problematic. That is not to say that somewhere else in that area (e.g. Evesham or Upton) would not be feasible.

Bob you could count me in, Wensleydale would be absolutely great and I imagine out of high season has lots of different accommodation to offer.  If coming North is a real issue for some, then maybe somewhere with reasonable transport links?  As you know I've always used public transport to get to Witney with no real issues (except the time when the driver of the bus I was on fell asleep at the wheel...)
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »

There must be an app to find where central is.
I've just come home from Stepping Stones Folk Festival. The week before I stayed in Haltwhistle which is half way along Hadrian's Wall and claims to be the geographic centre of Britain. Wensleydale is south of this. I'd certainly be interested in attending.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

There must be an app to find where central is.
I've just come home from Stepping Stones Folk Festival. The week before I stayed in Haltwhistle which is half way along Hadrian's Wall and claims to be the geographic centre of Britain.
Nobody should get to Haltwhistle and not make it to Hexham - about a 20 minute drive, and whilst I don't want to put Haltwhistle down, Hexham is lovely.
I'd drive for around 3 hours each way to get to something akin to the Witney weekend.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »

Nobody should get to Haltwhistle and not make it to Hexham - about a 20 minute drive, and whilst I don't want to put Haltwhistle down, Hexham is lovely.
I'd drive for around 3 hours each way to get to something akin to the Witney weekend.
Didn't get to Hexham, but did like Corbridge. There is probably much more accommodation available in the towns that around Haltwhistle. But Wensleydale would actually be more convenient for me as I live in the Peak District.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:51 AM »

I think the whole point about the putative Melodeons in Wensleydale is that it would be a northern thing and hence would not clash geographically with Witney. Bretforton, Evesham, etc., are too close to Witney. There could well be a fair number of northerners who are put off going to Witney because of the distance involved, but who would welcome the chance of a northern gathering. To the southerners who think Wensleydale is too far and in the territory of polar bears and 'here be dragons', I would just say that it's definitely worth the effort of a bit of travelling. The north of England is friendly and lovely.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »

I like the idea of Melodeons in Wensleydale, but I've heard that the tunes can get a bit cheesy.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »

I like the idea of Melodeons in Wensleydale, but I've heard that the tunes can get a bit cheesy.
[/quot]

TEE HEE.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 07:15:42 AM »

Groan. But as some people seem cheesed-off with Witney...
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:29 AM »

I'd put a blanket on Whitney ......

Yes it makes sense to give the north a chance for something, as wherever you centre it someone is faced with a long trip. I'd have to think seriously as I'd be looking at nearly a 6 hour trip and about 350 miles so I'd need to tie it in with a holiday of some sort if possible.

Steve 'Here be Dragon' signs are positioned at the Devon border to remind us when we leave!
Apparently the M5 is cobbled this side of Bristol....wherever that is  :o
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »

I think Steve is right,  it would be good to have some sort of northern meet on similar lines to Melodeons at Whitney and Melodeons and More.  I don't even think there is anything for Melodeon players at the Adult Folkworks Summer School this year?  You may be on to something Bob!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »

"Apparently the M5 is cobbled this side of Bristol....wherever that is"

Very good!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »

Find a local French music/dance group that runs music workshops? They seem to be happening all over the country.
For example on the rare occasions when I manage to get to a Cam-French meeting, it's a chance to get my G/C box out.

Thanks Anahata, I'm only in Bedford - it's crossed my mind, but having once been to DanseHerts near Hitchin as a dancer to scope it out last year, real life has persistently gotten in the way of going again. Whenever as now I remember or am reminded of CamFrench it's to find I've just missed something and nothing shows in the near future - plus I want to improve my G/C at an "event" before subjecting innocent bypassers to it!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »

I think that any future discussion of Melodeons in Wensleydale should be in a separate thread, so I shall start one and hope that Theo or Clive can transfer the relevant posts from this one to the new one.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

This is split off from the "Witney Super Squeeze" topic.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »

I have just come back from the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes, which I think would make a suitable venue for a Melodeons in Wensleydale weekend (or should we call it Melodeon Hawes?!?) The DCM is also an information centre for the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It has a reasonable size lecture theatre/exhibition area, which would be ideal for a Friday night session and Saturday night tutors' concert. It could also be used for one of the workshops. There are two other rooms that could be used for workshops and an open area on the mezzanine floor of the museum itself, so that provides four areas for workshops. There is no bar, but there is a small café serving drinks, snacks and light meals. There is a large car park and motorhomes may be able to park there overnight (I would need to check that). However, there is a Caravan and Motorhome Club site 300 yards away and two other caravan and camping sites within walking distance. Hawes also has four pubs (two of which have held sessions in the past), several other eating establishments and more B&Bs than you can shake a stick at!

The premises are booked quite heavily for art exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other events, so the only suitable dates next spring that would be available would be the weekend of 18-20 May (I have reserved it provisionally). Alternatively, we would be looking at September/October, which is getting rather close to the Witney Super-Squeeze and to the Festival des Panards, where I am heavily committed, so I wouldn't be keen on organising something then.

I don't think there would be a problem booking tutors - I already have some in mind, so there are two issues to resolve before making this a firm commitment.
     1. Will enough people commit to it to make it financially viable? Clearly, I don't want to catch a financial cold (or pneumonia!) over this.
     2. I am not willing to organise it entirely on my own. I would need others to share the burden. Any volunteers?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »

I will attend and volunteer to help before and during this weekend. 

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »

The premises are booked quite heavily for art exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other events, so the only suitable dates next spring that would be available would be the weekend of 18-20 May

That's a real shame. That'll be one of the busiest weekends of the morris season then :(

Edit: just to say that if it were to be September/October I'd be more likely to support it. May is just too busy for us morris tarts, this is a real shame because I quite fancy attending Melodeon Hawes (can I have a t-shirt please?).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:39:36 PM by Helena »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »

I would certainly attend and am happy to assist in organising the event.
Steve from Wakefield

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »

I would attend and anything I can do admin wise from Sheffield, happy to help.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

I will attend and would be willing to help out with admin and during the weekend itself.  September/October or 18-20 May is fine for me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal