Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018  (Read 44895 times)

Sue

• Good talker
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »

I would love to support this, but that date in May is not easy as there are so many Morris commitments in May.  I do hope you can make it work.
Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

Bob - the proposed date is not so good. PM sent.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »

Hi Bob - I've booked a hotel in hope.  I coming up from the South by Public Transport.

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »

In principle I'm up for it, but find it hard to commit fully on limited information - a circular problem given it's hard to develop the event and give full information without commitments!

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »

(:) have asked OH and he's happy to come along and carry melodeons for me  :|||: will pencil it on the calendar for next year  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »

I'm not committing myself to anything yet, but following this with interest, as by that time I should be enjoying my retirement* in Riddlesden only about 50 miles away.

*a.k.a. full time job with no holidays...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »

A few people have indicated that May is not a good time due to Morris events and other commitments. There isn't a lot of wriggle room at the museum which would be the venue for the event because we would have to fit in around their exhibitions and other commitments. However, an alternative that is available is the weekend of 20-22 April. Easter Sunday is on 1 April next year, so the weekend of 20-22 April would be after children (and teachers) have gone back to school. However, it is very close to St. George's Day, which would be the day after the melodeon weekend would finish. It will be impossible to fit in wit everybody's commitments and preferences, but would 20-22 April suit people better than 18-20 May?

Initial discussions about the format of the event are tending in the direction of something along the lines of how Melodeons at Witney used to be before it changed a few years ago: four tutors (provided there are sufficient participants) each providing one workshop throughout Saturday and another one throughout Sunday with music circulated in advance. There would be two workshops at basic/intermediate level and two at intermediate/advanced level each day. Basic level is defined as the next step on from the various Melodeon Playgroups that cater for beginners. There would be a session on the Friday evening and a showcase concert on the Saturday evening followed by a session in a local pub. We would also hope to have an instrument repairer on site and at least one trader, although this can't be arranged until we can confirm the date. It is too early to determine the cost yet, but we hope that it will be no greater than Melodeons at Witney and hopefully a bit cheaper.

Comments would be appreciated. We won't be able to please everybody with the date or the format, but we'll do our best.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »

(:) April would probably be easier for us, will pencil those dates in too  :|||: ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »

I'd be interested to support this but my priority is Melodeons and More and the Morpeth Gathering. Fortunately next year the Gathering is on early April...6 to 8, but the dates shift around. So count me in for the first one, provisionally.
Mike

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »

I'd like to be involved.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »

Hi Bob
Would certainly like to be involved as a trader at the event.

Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »

Hi Bob
Would certainly like to be involved as a trader at the event.

That's two for starters  (:)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »

I'm also ok for any of those dates, and would be happy to help, I am "reasonably" local (West Lancashire), so could be there before (and/or after) for on-site help and also happy to help on the email/IT etc side remotely. (email lists, website, facebook pages, etc).  Also although I'm not qualifed to teach how to play a melodeon, I do have a few years experience of running a "slow and steady" session for people who are not comfortable in a full session.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:41:17 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »

Thanks very much for the positive responses so far. I'll get round to PM-ing everybody who has offered to help, but please be patient. There's a lot to do and I'm still trying to get my head round what needs doing and in what order. I'm also trying to fit this in between finding a new venue for the Euro-sessions for Whitby FolkWeek (Chris Nash and I are going over there for three days next week to inspect potential venues), clearing up after a major flood when an expansion tank exploded in our loft, preparing my workshops for Sidmouth and Whitby, liaising with Sidmouth Rugby Club over the Loose Knit Band sessions, working on my book on Dales tunes, oh! and trying to get on with other aspects of my life!

Steve_freereeder (who has generously offered to help with the planning) and I have discussed the format, which gave rise to my previous post, and we have begun to contact potential tutors, technicians and traders. We'll be in touch further as developments unfold. It is looking increasingly likely that this event will go ahead, but we need to consider it from all angles before making a firm commitment.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »

Bob you could count me in, Wensleydale would be absolutely great and I imagine out of high season has lots of different accommodation to offer.  If coming North is a real issue for some, then maybe somewhere with reasonable transport links?  As you know I've always used public transport to get to Witney with no real issues (except the time when the driver of the bus I was on fell asleep at the wheel...)

This reminds me that some people might be under the mistaken impression that you can't get to Hawes by public transport. You can - quite easily! Take the train to Garsdale and then the Little White Bus the final six miles to Hawes. The Little White Bus is timetabled to meet most trains into Garsdale and can be requested (at no extra charge) to meet the ones it isn't timetabled to meet. People will just need to let me know nearer the time the train on which they are arriving and I can ensure there is a bus waiting for them.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »

What would be uber cool would be to livestream one of the sessions. Not the whole thing, obviously as that would miss (much of) the point of the weekend, but one workshop I would gladly sit up for and (fork out for) as 200 miles is a stretch but umpty thousand is a non-starter.
I realise it's just a pipe dream/workshop envy but still. Maybe one day ....

We could look into it. I can't promise anything more than that at this stage.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »

Good for you and the others who are committing to helping. I can only say that I will do my best to make it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2017, 10:47:04 PM »

A couple of people have asked about the possibility of a G/C workshop. It's possible, but we would need to know that there were sufficient people committed to it to make it feasible economically. If enough people PM me saying that they would be very likely to attend one, then we'll see what we can do.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »

April dates are god for me.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »

Perhaps we shouldn't be bringing religion into this, Nigel?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal