Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018  (Read 44856 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2018
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »

And superbly organised by Bob, Brian Read and Steve Dumpleton.  Everything ran so smoothly it's hard to believe it was a new event in a new venue.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »

A fabulous weekend. A big thanks to all concerned.

Sums it up from me as well ! A great weekend after the long winter.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »

Glad to hear it was a success. Sorry to have pulled out, but I'm sure you understand. Good to be playing a bit again, and hope to support the event in the future.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »

Yeah!  Really good job Bob and Steve and all the others behind the scenes who worked hard to make sure this first one was a great success.  I'm honoured to have been asked to be there at the first one.  Amazingly beautiful place too - it's one of the few parts of the UK I haven't been to and I had no idea what a gem I'd missed.

It's slightly further away for me than Witney, but I'm home safe now ... and I seem to have acquired a one-row with a Welsh accent.  Oh well.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »

Yeah!  Really good job Bob and Steve and all the others behind the scenes who worked hard to make sure this first one was a great success.  I'm honoured to have been asked to be there at the first one.  Amazingly beautiful place too - it's one of the few parts of the UK I haven't been to and I had no idea what a gem I'd missed.

It's slightly further away for me than Witney, but I'm home safe now ... and I seem to have acquired a one-row with a Welsh accent.  Oh well.

;D It was inevitable it was going to happen.  Every time you walked passed the red-dragoned bench you couldn't resist a quick poke...

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »

Everything ran so smoothly it's hard to believe it was a new event in a new venue.
Better in fact than some longer running ones, at least to my mind - heartfelt thanks both to the key organisers and to those who helped with on the day tasks like the tea!

I found Mel & John’s workshops complemented each other really well, and the G/C session a really welcome opportunity too. I hope that the event can run again, and on dates I can make :-)

RobLowe

« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »

Just writing to agree with everyone who said what a great weekend it was. With John and Issy's workshops I now have enough to keep me busy for 12 months,.. I hope I'll be able to return then for more! Thank you to Bob,  Steve, Brian, all the tutors, and everyone who made the weekend possible!  :D

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »

Fantastic event and very well organised,

I think a special thank you should go to the museum staff also,especially the lady who had to stay back whilst I got my stall down and loaded.

Please organise again
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »

I had a great weekend! It was great to meet up with old friends and make new ones.
Huge thanks to Bob for thinking of the idea in the first place and doing such sterling organisation work over the last nine months or so, especially liaising with the Dales Countryside Musuem, local businesses and others to make it all possible. It has been a privilege to work alongside him and Brian Read (website, booking system, etc.). We have got along brilliantly  (:)

Thanks also to the other tutors - John, Mel and Issy for being so inspirational; to Theo and Rees for running their two maintenance workshops, Vicky for the G/C workshop, and the traders - Pete, Rees and Murray, who all helped to make the atmosphere really vibrant.

A special mention also to my workshop participants. I threw some challenging stuff at you and you responded brilliantly! Well done!

Thanks everyone - it was a lovely weekend which I will remember for a long time to come.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »

Just to echo everyone's comments, I had an absolutely amazing time, and thanks to Bob, Steve, Brian, Jan and the hardworking museum volunteers who all helped to make it so great.

I really enjoyed the workshops I went to (John's and Mel's) and despite being ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED managed to survive leading the G/C session. Thank you to all who attended for your patience and good humour! On the Sunday I got to be terrified a second time as only three of us were available to perform Mel's showcase but we did it (with a large helping of excellence from Mel!) and I was really glad we did, it felt like a big achievement.

The venue and the town were so lovely and the Friday sessions in the Fountain were also great fun.  The concert was amazing and I was really pleased to see Rees and Theo up there too, I very much enjoyed their performances.  The whole event had a real sense of community to it with everyone pitching in helping out with moving chairs, collecting empty cups etc.

I really hope that there will be a Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019 and if there is, I'll be first on the list!

Now back to Oppland Upland and The Mallard and trying to remember a quarter of the brilliant advice from my tutors.....

Vicky.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »

I echo all the above comments - it really was an outstanding weekend, with excellent tutors, a great venue and a stunning location. A big thank you to all the organisers. Please repeat the event next year. I'll be competing with Vicky to be first on the list! I've never played alongside a harpist before, so thanks to Pikey too!
Steve from Wakefield

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »

Just to echo everyone's comments, I had an absolutely amazing time, and thanks to Bob, Steve, Brian, Jan and the hardworking museum volunteers who all helped to make it so great.

I really enjoyed the workshops I went to (John's and Mel's) and despite being ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED managed to survive leading the G/C session. Thank you to all who attended for your patience and good humour! On the Sunday I got to be terrified a second time as only three of us were available to perform Mel's showcase but we did it (with a large helping of excellence from Mel!) and I was really glad we did, it felt like a big achievement.

The venue and the town were so lovely and the Friday sessions in the Fountain were also great fun.  The concert was amazing and I was really pleased to see Rees and Theo up there too, I very much enjoyed their performances.  The whole event had a real sense of community to it with everyone pitching in helping out with moving chairs, collecting empty cups etc.

I really hope that there will be a Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019 and if there is, I'll be first on the list!

Now back to Oppland Upland and The Mallard and trying to remember a quarter of the brilliant advice from my tutors.....

Vicky.

Thank you for your leadership in the group, Vicky.  Your trepidation was not obvious, and I certainly had a good time.  In all the workshops and groups.  We were somewhat blessed with the weather, but even if it had been horizontal sleet the warmth and harmonious good fellowship would have evaporated the cold and damp.  I too shall be camping at the head of the queue to join next year’s weekend.  By then I hope to be able to play Iron Legs Hornpipe.  Even possibly Äppelbo Gånglåt.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »

...... despite being ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED managed to survive leading the G/C session.
Vicky.

Terrified? I don't believed you, as you were  relaxed and confident - you brought everyone in. I hope that this session is repeated next year. I think that there is potential for a weekend event dedicated to GC boxes!

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2018, 05:11:46 PM »

Nigel and Chris thank you both for your very kind words it was a pleasure to meet you both, I obviously hid my nerves better than I thought! :-\ I think there’s always room for more G/C sessions or events but then I am a bit biased!   (:)
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »

A fabulous weekend. A big thanks to all concerned.
Absolutely. Superb organisation both before and during the weekend. And brilliant tutors - I went to Mel's on Saturday and Issy's on Sunday.
Already looking forward to the next one.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »

Yes it was an excellent weekend, in a lovely area, and the venue was great. Thanks to all concerned, and Bob in particular. 
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »

Thanks very much for all the kind comments about the weekend. I haven't yet finished analysing the feedback forms, but we have decided to try to hold another one next year.

Subject to confirmation of the availability of the museum that weekend, it looks as though it will have to be on 26-28 April, the only weekend next year that falls between Easter and May Day. Different education authorities have their Easter holidays at different times: some will be 13-28 April; others 6-21 April and two (Sheffield and Bury) 30 March-14 April, so running Melodeons in Wensleydale in the first half of April would be fraught with problems. The weather is too unsettled in the Dales to put it back into March and once we get into May there are too many festivals, Morris gigs and other folk music events, so 26-28 April looks to be the best date. Please pencil it in your diaries.

I will confirm this as soon as (a) the museum lets me know whether they can accommodate us that weekend and (b) we have heard from potential tutors about their availability then. This could take several weeks, but I'll keep everyone posted.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »

;D wonderful, thank you Bob.  Dates pencilled in and already researching B&B's/ holiday lets ready to book the moment you give the thumbs up  :|||: ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »

... and I seem to have acquired a one-row with a Welsh accent.  Oh well.

I guess that shed will have to wait a little longer then, John  ;D

Just adding my voice to the thronging compliments that everyone is chucking out there - what a great weekend! I thoroughly enjoyed working and performing at the museum. The perfect spot for it I thought and with it being outside of school holidays, not too busy with non-melodeonists! Although I did get some curious passersby up on the mezzanine level on Sunday.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback. I was rightly chuffed with both of my workshops. Some brilliant discussion on Saturday about how to survive in sessions when we're 'out in the wild' and throwing a reasonably tricky self-penned tune at you on Sunday. Rarely have I had better hard working, diligent and polite groups to teach so thank you from the bottom of my heart!

I've already had a couple of bits of feedback that the SS skills are paying off for people in wild sessions so I think my work here is done! Glad that my tricky tune was deemed nice enough to bother persevering with by my Sunday group too. A great accolade!

Mel
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:39 PM »

Missed out this year, so just booked my room for next time!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal