Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting bellows corners  (Read 1473 times)

911377brian

Fitting bellows corners
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:30:48 PM »

I don't want to hijack mselic's post on fitting bellows corners so I've started this. In my never ending quest for finding ways to reinvent the wheel I'm fitting leather gussets to a child melodeon. I should mention that before setting out on this venture I tried to get a set of bellows made but Igor can't make a set small enough. Anyway, while I'm on the job I thought that new corners would be nice, but after seeing mselics video and all the equipment he uses I'm beginning to lose my bottle. Corners are between 50p and 60p and I need 56 plus a few in hand to cover the cock ups so that's about 30quid. It would be unwise to invest that if I wasn't pretty certain of success so I'm hoping the Melnet hive brain can can come up with something.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Fitting bellows corners
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »

Thanks John. Have you tried them?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »

Crimping pliers might be a solution

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-crimping-pliers/573831-1000

Sir John

They are unsuitable.  If you use pliers you need some with wide and flat jaws.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

I've wrongly attributed the OP as mselic. It is of course Diatonix. My apologies....

diatonix

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »

Don't let my video discourage you!  Unfortunately, there is no such thing as perfect bellows pliers. However, a type I find quite useful is the following:
https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&page=group_detail&groupID=1500.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »

I don't want to hijack mselic's post on fitting bellows corners so I've started this. In my never ending quest for finding ways to reinvent the wheel I'm fitting leather gussets to a child melodeon. I should mention that before setting out on this venture I tried to get a set of bellows made but Igor can't make a set small enough. Anyway, while I'm on the job I thought that new corners would be nice, but after seeing mselics video and all the equipment he uses I'm beginning to lose my bottle. Corners are between 50p and 60p and I need 56 plus a few in hand to cover the cock ups so that's about 30quid. It would be unwise to invest that if I wasn't pretty certain of success so I'm hoping the Melnet hive brain can can come up with something.

Brian, when I'm home tomorrow I'll offer up my selection of Charlie supplied corners to see which is the best fit if that is of any help.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »

... I need 56 plus a few in hand to cover the cock ups so that's about 30quid. It would be unwise to invest that if I wasn't pretty certain of success so I'm hoping the Melnet hive brain can can come up with something.

Once you know the size, assuming Charlie has it, you could buy just a few to try out. I assume you are leaving the white calico stuff in situ as that will affect the width.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

911377brian

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »

Thanks Diatonix, I just happen to have an identical pair. Lester, very happy to accept your offer, good egg you are, Malcolm, yes,I'm going to leave the calico in place. I took one off and as you mentioned in an earlier post the glue is practically imoveable without destroying the bellows. Not much work will take place until this wonderful weather leaves us; then it will proceed at a sedate pace as befits an elderly gent....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal