Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jig Dolls  (Read 5377 times)

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Jig Dolls
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »

Thank you will try tomorrow.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »

Nick that number I think has a didgit to many ? can you check it a PM will do. Thanks
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

triskel

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »

Otherwise, the email address, on the website, is chris@jigdolls.co.uk.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »

I made several of these in the '70s. My first doll look almost the same as this. I used cocktail sticks for joints. This worked well for the first week after which the legs fell off. I replaced the joints with metal pins fashioned from bent nails. the dolls I made using this method are stored in the loft, but still work and have not needed modification in more than 40 years.

I made one, in about an hour. modeled loosely on the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQ39LxHRio
My jig doll body is made of pine with hardwood for the feet for better sound and 1/4 plywood dancing board.
It can be simple in construction and still sound good. I used toothpicks for pivot points( just because they worked) and cut slots for legs with a table saw. cut out body with jig saw, easy to do.  The kids that come by love it!
I did it all "by eye" as for dimensions but could give you what i did if needed.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

My first attempt was using oak for the body, it was to heavy and I didn't leave enough room for movement in the joints. It didn't last long, but the new one is going strong after a couple years.
I looked at the EAMT web site that Steve posted, great looking dolls but I doubt they would sound much better. I was reading where they say the doll is " jigged up and down.
Would that be need if tapping the board? I see that that's what is happening with the foot operated one, but find I only need to when I want more arm action.
My arms could be better fitted and could benefit from a hand attached at a right angle to add to the movement, I think.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Stig Bubblecard

• synthesize cross-platform deliverables
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »

Cigar Box Nation posted some very rudimentary plans (from 1935) recently referring to them as 'Limberjack' plans.

If I've done this right you can find them here.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/1935-limberjack-plans-free-download?utm_source=July+25+NATION&utm_campaign=CBN+July+25+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Hohner Erika C/F, Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb, Hohner Preciosa Bb/Eb, Hohner 2915 G/C, Hohner 1930's A/D, Pariselle D/G 2012, Morse Ceili Concertina C/G, AC Norman G/D Concertina, Wolverton G/D Concertina

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »

I made several of these in the '70s. My first doll look almost the same as this. I used cocktail sticks for joints. This worked well for the first week after which the legs fell off. I replaced the joints with metal pins fashioned from bent nails. the dolls I made using this method are stored in the loft, but still work and have not needed modification in more than 40 years.

I made one, in about an hour. modeled loosely on the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQ39LxHRio
My jig doll body is made of pine with hardwood for the feet for better sound and 1/4 plywood dancing board.
It can be simple in construction and still sound good. I used toothpicks for pivot points( just because they worked) and cut slots for legs with a table saw. cut out body with jig saw, easy to do.  The kids that come by love it!
I did it all "by eye" as for dimensions but could give you what i did if needed.

We made a number of these back when were trading as "Rannygazoo Puppets". The problem we had was with the joints; it's easy enough to make a sound reliable joint if you're doing it for your own use, but H&S considerations meant that, as we were making them for sale, sharp metal objects were off the agenda!  In the end the line was abandoned, as it was simply too time-consuming and expensive to produce a reliable and durable child-safe joint which still worked properly and could be sold at an economic price. Nails are the best answer, by the way, if H&S doesn't apply!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »

Thanks all a pair of jig dolls arrived from Chris today and they are indeed very fine.
Many thanks
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

Pictures, Mark?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »

here
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »

Thanks, they look like a lovely couple.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal