Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mylar or Leather Valves  (Read 2202 times)

stevejay

Mylar or Leather Valves
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »

Hi

My 2 row Pokerwork will go to a different shop (again! - It's a long story and somewhat humorous). Should I request leather valves over mylar? I want good valves, and if leather will make a significant difference, I'd be willing to spring for it. I suspect this is a matter of opinion... "Stock" and original condition means little to me, but tone, reliability and playability do..

It's a CF, I wish it had more tonal possibilities, but it's mine now, and I might as well make it play the best it can for what it is. Melodeons are just awesome to look at, they are cool items to display. Something so old world about them :||:

Thanks!
Steve

PS - Any other upgrades I might inquire about that will significantly improve? I trust the repairperson, but curious to hear what others think. Sorry, this sort of topic is probably beaten to death, I just preferred to ask in my own way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:22:19 PM by stevejay »

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: Mylar or Leather Valves
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »

I once asked a clerk in an auto parts shop what the difference was between liquid and paste car polish. His answer was: liquid wax cleans better, paste gives a better shine...  ???

So, for the valves, I would say: leather sounds better, mylar lasts longer!!!  ::)
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »

Personally I think only a bat on speed can really tell the difference, and as my friend states: 'Mylar lasts longer'. Leather for an older box perhaps yes. Leather for a better quality box (with all due respect) maybe yes. The Pokerwork is a very functional box - and you can't get much more functional than mylar valves. They're cheaper too.
AL

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »

I recently installed italian reed sets in two boxes, they all came with Mylar, and they're all fine.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

Leather valves are only really necessary on larger reeds. e.g. the bassoon voice on a 3 or 4 voice instrument. Mylar valves tend to chatter on big reeds.

A Pokerwork is fine with Mylar throughout.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

stevejay

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »

Thanks-

I felt mylar was the way to go before I started this thread, and will be the way I will go. The repairman uses mylar, and this will keep things simple.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 04:40:19 AM »

My boxes that still play well have some sort of plastic valves.

Most of my older boxes have the dreaded curled leather that used to be valves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal