Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade metal-filler  (Read 5375 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Homemade metal-filler
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »

Urine's not bad compared to dog poo for tanning leather. Unbelievably it was called Pure. 👀

true   recycling!

And all natural and organic.   (:)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »

Urine's not bad compared to dog poo for tanning leather. Unbelievably it was called Pure. 👀

true   recycling!

''peecycling''?

And all natural and organic.   (:)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »

It seems to be a passable alternative...
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »

[snip] then wetted to a stiff paste before application (urine was supposedly best)
While intellectually I know there are 1001 legit uses for urine ranging from compost activation to a mordant for dyes and beyond, an emotional part of me shudders at the thought of someone peeing in my melodeon.

In the days of rust joints, urban water was a short cut to illness and why mix your compound using beer before it had been enjoyed  :o I doubt you are alone in your uncomfortable feelings but as Nick rightly notes, leather tanning was not the nicest of processes, likewise the old glues were pretty noisome to make and use.

I'm sure if needed these days Lyra, our modern fettlers would ensure that only the finest wines, caviar & confectionery were used to prepare the solvent - but fortunately triskel has circumvented this with his superglue discovery  ;D

As a general rule, when it came to urine based receipts, is seems 'night rates' were considered better than overtime.............
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »

Ah... Nick beat me too it.
A belt maker in Dartington uses traditionally tanned leather, left to stew for a year or more in such a mixture apparently.

What always intrigues me is - who on earth thought it up?
How do you work out that urine and dog poo will tan leather?
...or pee into plaster to set it hard?

I suppose in years gone by, they got bored with no tv or Internet forum  :-\
A baffled
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

911377brian

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »

And the brains of the animal rubbed into the skin to soften and preserve it..amazing how far one can go off piste without getting shouted at......

triskel

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »

..amazing how far one can go off piste without getting shouted at......

RIGHT! Time to drag us back (almost) on topic.  ;)

I tried Googling "wire wool and superglue" to see if anybody had thought of mixing the two before me. I could only find one reference to a mechanic using it for a patch on an oil leak, but it seems the fumes from the reaction can be used in "fuming" fingerprints, to preserve them, in gathering evidence...   :o

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 09:13:26 PM »

Superglue is a cyanoacrylate, so the fumes might be a Cyanide derivative.... though my chemistry isn't quite there.
Whatever it is, it won't be very nice so take care!
Q
being sensible for a change.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:39 PM »

Superglue is a cyanoacrylate, so the fumes might be a Cyanide derivative.... though my chemistry isn't quite there.
Q
being sensible for a change.

I use super glue for various crack filling jobs on melodeons, especially floating soundboards in old Pokerworks etc, and I always wear a mask otherwise I wheeze for days.

triskel

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:02 AM »

I use super glue for various crack filling jobs on melodeons, especially floating soundboards in old Pokerworks etc, and I always wear a mask otherwise I wheeze for days.

Breathe easy, from what I understand cyanoacrylate is an irritant but not toxic. Apparently the burning in the eyes and throat/sinus is not ultimately bad for you, just bothersome...

"Cyanide" isn't a chemical in itself but a chemical form, and Super Glue's base is in cyanide form, but it is not based on (the poison) potassium cyanide.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »

I get asthma like symptoms after exposure to superglue fumes which can last several days.   It may only be "irritant"  but you can become sensitised to it, so if you plan to use it more than very occasionally take steps to avoid the fumes.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »

I'd love to see a manufacturers safety data sheet on it, might do a bit of digging at work.
It's not particularly nice as the fumes indicate!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Broadland Boy

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »

You would not learn much Q :( While I have kept most ISO standards in 'e' form against future use most of our COSHH / MSDS sheets were hard copy.

The main 'enlightening' fact I recall from superglue was that it cannot be regarded as poisonous due to bonding body tissue almost instantaneously (i.e. you can't swallow enough) 

Lucid moment = have checked with Henkels website and it appears they are a little more accessible these days, given our parsimonious natures liquid Lidl may be the best mach to check but they are much of a muchness.

http://mymsds.henkel.com/mymsds/DS.do?bu=UT,UA&internet=true

Other than the large surface areapresented by powder, dust and wire wool its affinity for such substances is not evident but there is an exothermic warning now.

Enjoy - although this is one glue not to try sniffing or sipping!
Richard A

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »

hmmmm.... quote from msds:

Potential Health Effects

Inhalation: Exposure to vapors above the established exposure limit results in respiratory irritation, which may lead to difficulty in breathing and tightness in the chest.  Skin contact: Bonds skin in seconds. May cause skin irritation.   Cyanoacrylates have been reported to cause allergic reaction but due to rapid polymerization at the skin surface, an allergic response is rare. Cyanoacrylates generate heat on solidification. In rare circumstances a large drop will burn the skin. Cured adhesive does not present a health hazard even if bonded to the skin. Eye contact: Irritating to eyes. Causes excessive tearing. Eyelids may bond.  Ingestion: Not expected to be harmful by ingestion. Rapidly polymerizes (solidifies) and bonds in mouth. It is almost impossible to swallow. 

Yep, impossible to swallow cos it solidifies!
It looks like the effects on breathing several of us report is recognised as an irritant. In my experience of labwork it is quite an irritant to continue the effect after removal from exposure, but seems to produce no lasting effects thank goodness.

So.....if risk assessing making a home made metal filler 'ensure good natural ventilation, wear safety specs and avoid fumes....'
Q
bringing work into the playground.

Thrupenny Bit

Mutt

• Melodiate
  • Good talker
  • D/G Saltarelle Infeno, D/G Club IIb, A/D Pokerwork
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »

Wear appropriate gear.
George Knight
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, brrrrrrr!

Broadland Boy

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »

Yes, wouldn't want to make his eye water  :o Although their immunity to just about everything harmful makes for a delightfully laidback H & S environment within Gru (Evil) Industries plants.

Now a Minions tuning video would make for interesting watching !
Richard A

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »

Moisture accelerates super glue hardening, the steel wool you used the first time may have picked up some moisture from handling.
 The "vapor" that come s from fast hardening is actually unhardened glue boiling off from the heat. When it touches something like you sinuses or eye the moisture makes it kick. I suspect this is where the irritation comes from.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

tirpous

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

Could it be useful for filling larger gaps in the slots of reeds that have been "clipped" shorter (to raise the pitch of the reed) I wonder?

I tried this approach recently while retuning a reed up by one tone (from A to B).  The tip was getting rather thin by the time the pitch was at Bb, so I decided to file the reed shorter to get it up the rest of the way to B and then fill the end of the slot using the method Triskel describes.  I used more filler than necessary and carefully reopened the slot until the reed tip would clear.  A bit laborious, but overall it worked very well.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal