Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G# on GC Pokerwork  (Read 1306 times)

Stephen D

G# on GC Pokerwork
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:08:13 AM »

Greetings all. I am trying to learn La Discrete of Stephane Delicq on the GC box. It's pretty easy and straight-forward except for.....

There is a point in the song where there is G# while the E chord is supposed to be played.

On all the videos online, mostly of French folks, they push for the G# and push for the E chord.

Am I trippin? On my Pokerwork, an on all online GC fingering charts, you have to pull for the G# and push for the E chord!! What the heck!!

I play it anyways without the chord, but it is driving me crazy!! Do the French boxes have the G# on the push?

I've seen old topics about G#, but i didn't notice one about the GC. Why would they have a G# not on the same direction as the E chord?

Is it easy to switch the reeds around?

:D  ;D  :||:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: G# on GC Pokerwork
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:09:05 AM »

The standard accidentals set-up which Hohner seem to always install on their instruments has Bb push and G# pull. This is not particularly useful, as you have discovered, particularly for French music. It's far better to have the G# on the push, which will then go with the left-hand push E bass and chord. Most melodeons made in France or Italy have the accidentals this way round.

Fortunately, it is not difficult to swap the the Hohner accidentals from Bb/G# to G#/Bb. It is simply a matter of flipping over the two reed plates. Any reed technician will be able to do this for you in a matter of minutes. There may be one near you. Where are you located?

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

c2aminor

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:55 AM »

My first accordion was a pokerwork, and I had the same problem, because I played so many tunes in A minor which required a lot of G# on both push and pull. I put a drop of solder on the tip of the A# reed to drop it down to G#. You'll probably need to file that solder to fine tune it. Since then I've gotten a Castagnari and Mengascini two row, and asked the makers to put G# reeds on both push and pull. It works out much better to play in A minor this way, and I hardly ever miss the A#.
--- Rich

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »

My first accordion was a pokerwork, and I had the same problem, because I played so many tunes in A minor which required a lot of G# on both push and pull. I put a drop of solder on the tip of the A# reed to drop it down to G#. You'll probably need to file that solder to fine tune it. Since then I've gotten a Castagnari and Mengascini two row, and asked the makers to put G# reeds on both push and pull. It works out much better to play in A minor this way, and I hardly ever miss the A#.
Hmm...
OK, if that's what you personally prefer, but I wouldn't normally recommend that approach. I think it's far better for most people to keep the option of the Bb (A#) on the pull. There are times when you need it. Conversely, if you're playing in A minor, having the G# on the push is OK for just about all the time. and in my opinion it is not worth sacrificing the pull Bb just for the odd occasion when you might want a pull G#. Also, although adding solder to the reed tip change the pitch is one way of doing it, the down side is that the reed will be fractionally more sluggish to start.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mick

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:35 AM »

The standard accidentals set-up which Hohner seem to always install on their instruments has Bb push and G# pull. This is not particularly useful, as you have discovered, particularly for French music. It's far better to have the G# on the push, which will then go with the left-hand push E bass and chord. Most melodeons made in France or Italy have the accidentals this way round.

Fortunately, it is not difficult to swap the the Hohner accidentals from Bb/G# to G#/Bb. It is simply a matter of flipping over the two reed plates. Any reed technician will be able to do this for you in a matter of minutes. There may be one near you. Where are you located?

Awesome suggestion, Steve.  Total "doh!" moment.  I'm going to get after this right away.
Thanks!
Mick

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »

That's the way I have my instruments set up (pull Bb - useful for G min, F, and D min - all available as pull chords, well for no thirds chords anyway) and G# for E chord on the push). But then all I play is French stuff.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »

That's the way I have my instruments set up (pull Bb - useful for G min, F, and D min - all available as pull chords, well for no thirds chords anyway) and G# for E chord on the push). But then all I play is French stuff.

Same story here.

I can see the G# being useful on pull as well, though, but i use the Bb more than i would use that.
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Stephen D

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »

Ah!! Ok! Interesting! I am located near Seattle. I will take it to the Petosa accordion shop to have the reed plates flipped.

Thanks for the information
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal