Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music camp in Quebec--Melodeon players' heaven this year!  (Read 2795 times)

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
Music camp in Quebec--Melodeon players' heaven this year!
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »

I'm taking the liberty of posting information and the website (http://www.mareemusique.com/) for a wonderful music camp in Quebec in August.  This year really is melodeon players' heaven! Instructors include: Raynald Oullet, Steve Jones, Gaston Nolet, Sabin Jacques, Denis Pepin, Susie LeMay and Kevin DesRosiers.  All stellar players, all steeped heavily in the Quebcoise musical tradition with the added bonus of the Irish musical influence in the playing of Denis Pepin, Susie LeMay and Steve Jones. I've attended this camp for the first four years and have come home tired and inspired. I think that Raynald Oullet seldom hosts a master class anywhere so this is a rare opportunity to listen to and learn from a true legend and icon of Quebecoise traditional music.

Special note to US residents:  the currency exchange works to our favor this year!  Take advantage of it this year!

DaveCottrell

• Good talker
Re: Music camp in Quebec--Melodeon players' heaven this year!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »

How much non-musical activity is there for spouses?  I'm trying to convince my wife (a good dancer) to go!

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:49 PM »

Plenty!  Normand Legault will be teaching Quebec step-dancing in workshops during the day. I don't know about this year but in the past years there have been couples' dance workshops.  And, there have always been camp dances each night. During the final night students' concert there is the opportunity for your wife to sign on to present a solo dance performance, of course with you playing accompaniment! And, the final afternoon each class presents a short performance of what they have learned during the session.

My best recommendation is to contact Rachel Aucoin directly at the camp email or call her directly at the number listed for more information. Rachel is fluent in both English and French and is always happy to answer questions about the music and camp.

I hope you can go!

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »

I'll have to note this for future years.  What key'd instrument do you usually take?
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:54:34 PM »

Since it is Quebecois you probably should have one with a D row. One-, two- or three-row melodeons or even piano or chromatic accordions are all fine. Mainly you'll see single rows in D.  Other instruments are piano, fiddle, guitar, flute this year for the first time. This is a fine camp to not only improve your playing (and your French! but don't be afraid because almost all the instructors speak English and most if not all the campers speak English) and immerse yourself in the Quebecois music and dance tradition.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

Really a great little camp, musically and socially. Like Ken, I have attended every year since the start and it only gets better. A high point of the year for me and my kids. This year, for the first time, it will last a full week - thereby addressing the sole complaint my daughter could find to make about the event, i.e. that it was too short. You can come for the first four days, the last three, or all seven.

Raynald Oullet, Steve Jones, Gaston Nolet, Sabin Jacques, Denis Pepin, Susie LeMay and Kevin DesRosiers.  All stellar players...

The instructors Ken lists are most certainly stellar - except that I don't belong in that company. I'll be teaching the beginner group for the first four days - something that either I have a knack for or nobody else wants to do.  (:)

Gaston Nolet and Denis Pepin in particular are top-notch 3-row players, and Denis and Susie are also strong advocates of the D/C# system. There will probably be classes or at least workshops on these systems along with the one-row melodeon classes. Sabin Jacques is a genius, as is his wife Rachel (piano), the main organiser and the heart and soul of the event. So come - it's a fine way to round off the summer. 

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »

Looks great.
Unfortunately too late for this year.

I have family in Toronto and my wife's family come from Montreal. I'm sure we could make a Canadian road trip out of it. Maybe next year.

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »

Of course, Steve just is being modest about his ability to teach. At last year's final day student performance Steve's beginning class was poised and showed a steady and knowledgeable instructor's hand at the helm.

But, yes to all his other remarks. For this side of the Atlantic the melodeon staff doesn't get any better.

Ken

Kim B

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:54:22 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this info. Because of it,  I am now booked to go and so excited. I feel like a child....going to camp!

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »

Congratulations! Go with an open mind, the desire to learn and a willingness to play at every opportunity. Sleep when you return home.  ;)

Kim B

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:46:16 PM »

Really a great little camp, musically and socially. Like Ken, I have attended every year since the start and it only gets better. A high point of the year for me and my kids. This year, for the first time, it will last a full week - thereby addressing the sole complaint my daughter could find to make about the event, i.e. that it was too short. You can come for the first four days, the last three, or all seven.

Raynald Oullet, Steve Jones, Gaston Nolet, Sabin Jacques, Denis Pepin, Susie LeMay and Kevin DesRosiers.  All stellar players...

The instructors Ken lists are most certainly stellar - except that I don't belong in that company. I'll be teaching the beginner group for the first four days - something that either I have a knack for or nobody else wants to do.  (:)

Gaston Nolet and Denis Pepin in particular are top-notch 3-row players, and Denis and Susie are also strong advocates of the D/C# system. There will probably be classes or at least workshops on these systems along with the one-row melodeon classes. Sabin Jacques is a genius, as is his wife Rachel (piano), the main organiser and the heart and soul of the event. So come - it's a fine way to round off the summer.

I attended the  Kamouraska music camp in Quebec in August, and would like to share my experience so that others may consider going in the future.

My experience at camp was wonderful. I learned so much, including about music camp itself. This was my first experience at a music camp, and it has certainly inspired me to continue on my learning journey. I enjoyed my beginner accordion lessons with both Steve Jones and Normand Legault. They were great, and attentive to the variety of learning levels in the class.

I do not speak French; however, everyone was sensitive to that and helped me throughout my stay. I had fun while enjoying the challenge of learning and experiencing new things. Most of all, I felt the warmth and kindness of everyone, and I felt like I belonged to the group.

Joanne, Rachel's mom was my camp "mom" and friend. A lovely lady that could be seen everywhere, enjoying, participating, and helping. An inspiration!

I availed of ukulele lessons, step dance class, bodhran lesson, and a harmonica lesson (Thank you Ray Lambert for your time, and book!).  Joined a camp band! Picked blackberries by the swimming hole...yummm.  Danced circles at the square dance. Enjoyed the nightly concerts, dances, and jam sessions. The accommodations in the dormitory were great. The food was plentiful with healthy choices, and good. Lots of practice huts available. The children/youth at the camp were very involved, and had amazing talent.

It was lots of fun, and a great experience! I will return.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »

I attended the  Kamouraska music camp in Quebec in August, and would like to share my experience so that others may consider going in the future.

It was great to meet you Kim and I'm glad the experience was so positive. You did great work in class, anyway, and I saw you slipping into a practice hut at 6:30am! I look forward to your next visit.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »

I've posted on the facebook melnet group a video of all the camp teachers playing some tunes to finish the final concert. Gives an idea of the atmosphere that reigns all week. Thanks to member "tirpous" for permission to share it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/301716979854351/

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

Hello Kim,

I'm happy you enjoyed yourself as much as you did. Going to Camp de Souches is not only going to a musical camp but it is becoming a member of a musical family. When you sadly leave the final day you take with you plenty of great music, a few new dance steps, wonderfully long-lasting memories and a whole new group of sisters and brothers.  You were doubly blessed to have had Joanne, your camp mom, watching over you.  She is a special person, for sure.

Hope you can get there in 2018.

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal