Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reed slow to sound  (Read 1039 times)

nigelr

• Respected Sage
Reed slow to sound
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »

My Dony was retuned recently and, having got it back from the fettlers, Mel Biggs did me the honour of showing me what it sounds like when it's played properly at the weekend (:)  One thing she noticed is a reed that is slow to sound - it's on the Bb4 accidental (not that that matters) and one reed sounds immediately but the other doesn't sound until more pressure is applied, so there is a tremolo "lag".  She suggested giving it a bit of welly to see if there was some foreign matter in there that needed dislodging.  This hasn't worked so was wondering if the collective knowledge could suggest any other things I could try?  Thanks. N
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:17:20 PM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Reed slow to sound
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »

The most common cause of this is the reed tongue being set slightly too high.  The cure is to bend the reed tongue a tiny amount to put it in the optimum position.  If its just the one reed then it is a job that will take only a few minutes for someone who understands the process.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »

I've got a similar problem at the moment with a reed on my favourite Pastourelle - not really out of tune but less tremelo and slow response. It's really irritating to my sensitive ears -just when I need to put in hours of practice for a charity concert this Saturday. I can guarantee that if I try to sort it myself it'll just get worse...
Hopefully the audience won't notice... And then I can call an expert...

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »

Yes, and good reed setting is possibly even more of an art than tuning.  Some years ago I had a box which I had played too hard for too many years, but some fettlers who took a look at it said they could see nothing wrong.  Over the intervening years skills have been honed and said box was up for sale.  It went to Theo who brushed up the tuning and reset the reeds - it had even response throughout, lovely regular tremolo and increased dynamic range.  Wish I hadn't sold it now...

Another plug.  I bought a DB Binci second-hand that Steve Freereeder had done a reed job on.  It is so good I have to padlock it to avoid anyone swapping it for a close cousin.

I know from their work that our leading fettlers have acquired these skills, but it seems to be the last one to develop.

Rob

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »

It's a shame as I was hoping not to have to send it away again.  I'll probably just live with it for the time being.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal