Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigini NY Modello P'Mico  (Read 2128 times)

Brazilianscopel

Gigini NY Modello P'Mico
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »

Hi. I am interested in this melodeon http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-German-Made-Squeeze-Box-Accordion-Mother-Of-Pearl/322570303698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649, but couldn't find anything about it, except that P'Mico was a brand name for collegiate instruments (specially stringed ones). Can somebody help me? Thanks!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Gigini NY Modello P'Mico
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »

Interesting air button configuration.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

That looks like the same box that I've often lusted over on eBay, these past two years or so. It seems to come up quite regularly, could be the self-same one, who knows?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »

Looks to me like a Koch from the late 1920s, with a bit of "badge engineering".
I don't think the air button is original.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

triskel

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:17:47 AM »

Exactly!

Neither did Nils Nielsen when he fettled a Koch "Mira" for me 30 years ago, so he hot-rodded it and put in a plastic button for a windkey. I was livid because it was perfectly original the way it was, and easier to use...  >:(

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »

I'm voting for the Koch too. Typical Koch's body with roses,according grill. Seems to be one of modifications similar to these
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

bellowpin

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »

the presswood grill is a nice touch. don't think I've seen that before. the face seems to be wearing a priests/clerics hat.
          brian..
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »

Exactly!

Neither did Nils Nielsen when he fettled a Koch "Mira" for me 30 years ago, so he hot-rodded it and put in a plastic button for a windkey. I was livid because it was perfectly original the way it was, and easier to use...  >:(

OK, I accept your view, Stephen, though it does give me a warm glow to think that I was of the same opinion as the much respected Nils.... 8)
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

triskel

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »

OK, I accept your view, Stephen, though it does give me a warm glow to think that I was of the same opinion as the much respected Nils.... 8)

Oh Nils was well-able to cock it up, even when his mind was (relatively ;)) still sound...

Another time I got him to convert a pre-WW1 Hohner Vienna accordion, with nifty spring catches (that catch in your best Aran sweater!  ::)) holding the bellows on, to concert pitch.

Now, for a start I should never have done it because the original tuning was WONDERFUL, and I should have respected that and left it well-alone, but I wanted to be able to play it with other people. The trouble was, it was in old German pitch (half a semitone flat), and he'd assumed it must be in old English high pitch (half a semitone sharp) so (to rub salt into the wound!) it was tuned to C# when I went to collect it. "Oh, it doesn't say it's in D" he said - and then I flipped it over and showed him a very large letter D stamped in the accustomed place. "Oh," he said "I'd better do it again then!"  :o

Then there was the Club 255 that I asked him to convert from C/F to D/G - and he tuned it DOWN instead of up...  :-\

He did a wonderfl job of it mind you and it did sound pretty amazing, and (fortunately) my friend Andy Holderness (who used to play for Ilford Morris) took a great liking to it and bought it off me - phew!  :Ph

911377brian

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »

(:) (:) (:).

Brazilianscopel

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:47 PM »

I agree with you about the appearance, but that air button/lever seems to be original IMHO.
Now you pointed that, It really seems to me it is a Koch built for P'Mico brand very similar to that round metal corners Concertones. Thanks!

Brazilianscopel

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »

the presswood grill is a nice touch. don't think I've seen that before. the face seems to be wearing a priests/clerics hat.
          brian..

It reminds me an Aztec god!  :D

penn

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »

I think it's been satisfied that the air button is probably original, fwiw, my Koch has the same air button.
Steve

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »

2 row Concertone (= Koch) air button
sold on eBay one year ago
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Brazilianscopel

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »

2 row Concertone (= Koch) air button
sold on eBay one year ago

WOW! Beautiful bass panel!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal