Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost the ability to play MIDI files and from websites such as ABC converter  (Read 1439 times)

Ga

• Good talker

Hi all,
just on the off chance there's a PC expert out there.......

My PC was fine, no problems at all, (other than the obvious usual built-in Windows "issues") running XP Pro.
Within the last week I've noticed an inability to play MIDI files from websites - playing MIDI files stored on my own PC are fine.
This is particularly problematic with the ABC converter from the good people at Concertina.net.   The ABC files convert to PDF, no problem, but then the MIDI file won't play from the website.
I've not intentionally changed anything.  There have been a couple of auto-updates from Microsoft, which may or may not have mucked things up.

When trying to play a midi file from a website, almost Immediately after clicking the "Play MIDI" button, the window clears to blank, and the bottom left corner status bar bears the legend "Done" with an exclamation mark.  No music ensues.  Volume settings are fine.  When I click on the exclamation mark, I get a pop up window saying "Problems with this website might result in it failing to display correctly or function properly.....etc etc etc". When I click on the "details" button, I get the report:-

"Line:1
Char:1
Error: Object Expected
Code:0
URL: "www.whatever_website_I_was_looking_at.com/12345.mid"

So, obviously it's looking for a certain character at the start of the transmission from the website, which it isn't getting.  It used to be fine, so presumably, hidden within the "internet Options" menu, there is a button hidden away called "Completely *@#$er up your midi settings for no good reason", and this button has become ticked.   I can't find it. Does anyone know where it may be hidden, or whatever else may be doing this?

Yes, I know I should be running Linux, or a Mac, or an iphone, or something; but I'm not.  Any help with this, very gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Ga

Johnjo

• Regular debater

Can't offer a definitive answer, but have you tried different browsers? If so, do you get the same result with all of them? If you've only tried one browser, try downloading a different one, and see if that improves things.

John

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

Try reinstalling Quicktime ...
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal