Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Voice Recorders  (Read 11074 times)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Digital Voice Recorders
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »

Too much compression? If you export to mp3 you can click on 'options' to set the compression rate. Use at least something like 128 kbps for quality. Lower means smaller files but less quality.

Thanks Simon, I'll try it! ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »

Edirol R-09 user here. The Zoom H2 didn't exist when I bought the Edirol but does the equivalent job cheaper and is what I'd recommend now, though the Edirol is perfectly competent.

Batteries : I strongly recommend getting some "low self discharge" rechargeables like the Ansmann Max-E from Battery Force which hold their charge for months, and in practice don't need recharging nearly so much as a result. I can just pick up the Edirol any time and use it, whereas with the older, supposedly higher capacity cells, if I hadn't charged the batteries before use they'd be flat. My 2 x 2300mAH AA's have completely revolutionised my faith in rechargeable batteries!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »

Sounds fine advice.   The batteries plus charger packages sound best value http://www.battery-force.co.uk/show_Battery_Chargers.html  i'm tempted by the MaxE AA Speed Set 4xAA MaxE w/Charger - but would a practicing electrical engineer make the same choice?

Says here too that chargers are now intelligent - and will presumably plug themselves in should you forget (or be intoxicated).  8)

_       _    _      _ 

Kautilya

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 09:05:53 PM »

[edit] sez here http://www1.duracell.com/Procell/pdf/MN1500_US_CT.pdf that Duracell AA's are good for about 2700 mAh so those rechargables look good!
Chris - Dont forget the tip someone just gave elsewhere- the H2 also has a metronome and a full chromatic tuner in its menu.....

rechargeable batteries can just give up without warning.
I now use Ikea AAA alkali all the time - cheap, better than duracell and i buy a dozen or more packs (10 in each - 300.947.14) each time as well same IKEA  AA size to power a big flash gun for the camera.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »

The batteries plus charger packages sound best value http://www.battery-force.co.uk/show_Battery_Chargers.html  i'm tempted by the MaxE AA Speed Set 4xAA MaxE w/Charger - but would a practicing electrical engineer make the same choice?

Wot  me? ... If I didn't already have a charger, probably yes.

Passing a high current through a battery is OK if it needs charging, but rapidly heats it causing damage if it's fully charged. The "intelligent charger" is a bit clever about deciding when a battery is fully charged, so it can charge fast and safely, stopping when the battery is fully charged.

tedrick

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »

for something a little more flexible, I'm thinking of getting a Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera -

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Pocket-Video-Camera-Black/dp/B002HOPUPC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1272665452&sr=1-3

The neat thing about this little recorder is you can connect a mike to it -

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »

Er, yes. But here's an 'Audacious' question....I load in files that sound just wonderful in wav. format, and after conversion, the come out with distortion and odd growley noises. Have been wanting to make mp3's to post to Omvoice, but they convert terribly.
What bit rate are you selecting when exporting to mp3, in my opinion anything less with 192k is fraught with disappointment.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »

My Silly Ericsson pushes out somehting called "AMR" files which are unreadable by Audacity, but the conversion software is easily downloadable (and FREE!  :M) and it produces a good mp3 file as well.

Just for information to us meanies.  :|bl

Chris
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

forrest

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »

Er, yes. But here's an 'Audacious' question....I load in files that sound just wonderful in wav. format, and after conversion, the come out with distortion and odd growley noises. Have been wanting to make mp3's to post to Omvoice, but they convert terribly.
What bit rate are you selecting when exporting to mp3, in my opinion anything less with 192k is fraught with disappointment.

Are you talking about the sampling rate in kHz or bit rate? my version only allows for 32k bit  and 100khz rate. Am I missing something? Can't seem to find any other levers or buttons to push.... :-\

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 05:31:57 AM »

Chris - Dont forget the tip someone just gave elsewhere- the H2 also has a metronome and a full chromatic tuner in its menu.....  rechargeable batteries can just give up without warning.  I now use Ikea AAA alkali all the time [.. snip]

Bitten the AA rechargable bullet now but I promise to use disposables till it comes. Not sure what I'll use the metronome for - I rarely switch on the one I have - and I suspect the 'tuner' might be more useful to the guitarist next door.

Back to business - the little H2D2 machine is ever so willing and offers mp3s at many bit  rates. I'm going to try out 128 in upton. But should that be 192? Or even stick to .wav files?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:35:25 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »

Are you talking about the sampling rate in kHz or bit rate? my version only allows for 32k bit  and 100khz rate. Am I missing something? Can't seem to find any other levers or buttons to push.... :-\

I'm using 1.3.11 Beta.
In the bottom left of the window is the Project Rate which is the sample rate used by Auaicity for its work I usually leave this at the default of 44100Hz.
When exporting to mp3 the Export File dialogue has an options button which reveals a selector labeled Quality where you can select the mp3 bit rate, I usually use 192kbs

Kautilya

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

Chris - Dont forget the tip someone just gave elsewhere- the H2 also has a metronome and a full chromatic tuner in its menu.....  rechargeable batteries can just give up without warning.  I now use Ikea AAA alkali all the time [.. snip]

Bitten the AA rechargable bullet now but I promise to use disposables till it comes. Not sure what I'll use the metronome for - I rarely switch on the one I have - and I suspect the 'tuner' might be more useful to the guitarist next door.

Back to business - the little H2D2 machine is ever so willing and offers mp3s at many bit  rates. I'm going to try out 128 in upton. But should that be 192? Or even stick to .wav files?
Whoops - as u point out Chris AA for the H2 (I use AAAs for my sony icd ms515) but IKEA principle still applies on cost and durability - the packs are yellow and often at pay exit so u do not have to tour the store, just go straight from 1.99 breakfast....).
Memory space costs comparative peanuts - ALWAYS record at highest quality (same for photos!!). you can always reduce quality, BUT you can never increase it after thE event... :D

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »

Just a quick question - Can you multitrack on the H2 or do I need to buy the H4?  Cheers Pete

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »

Just a quick question - Can you multitrack on the H2 or do I need to buy the H4?  Cheers Pete

Don't quite get the question, I multitrack using an H2 but the multitracking is done in Audacity not in the H2

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »

Not on the H2; you'd need an H4 for that. You can use the H2 as a USB microphone and do multitracking on your pc of course, if the pc doesn't make too much noise. Another possibility is to copy the recorded tracks to another mp3-player for playback while recording the new track on the H2 and mix it later on a pc.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »

On the Zoom Q3 the menu lets you select sound quality.  It ranges from PCM 44.1 kHz 24 bit then also gives eg MP3 48kbps kHz 16 bit  upwards.

I says can't select PCM 96kHz when in video mode. Why should that be?.

None of this makes any sense to me and there is no more info in the leaflet (Bring back a good instruction leaflet I say :(

Any help welcome or good learning links, I'm open to PMs about this too.

Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:04:12 PM by mikesamwild »
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »

My Silly Ericsson pushes out somehting called "AMR" files which are unreadable by Audacity, but the conversion software is easily downloadable (and FREE!  :M) and it produces a good mp3 file as well.

Just for information to us meanies.  :|bl

Chris
my sony ericsson phone randomly switches itself off for no aparent reason :P

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »

My guess is that it can't handle that much sound data when it also has to process and store the video.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »

Probably because the data rate is too high when combined with the video. I doubt if there are any digital video standards (or combinations of standards) in use that use 96kHz sampling rate audio. If you can afford to use that much storage, you're better off using those extra bits for improving the quality of the video instead.

Anyway, if 44.1 kHz is good enough for CD, it's good enough for video!

forrest

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »

I'm using 1.3.11 Beta..........

I owe you one, my friend......having checked, I realized I had version 1.2.6, so I upgraded, found the bells and whistles, and problem solved, mp3's sound much better!  Many thanks!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal