Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Voice Recorders  (Read 11063 times)

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
Digital Voice Recorders
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »

Does anyone have any advice on purchasing a DigitalVoice Recorder ?
I've been using a Mini disc for recording tunes at sessions & workshops but its diffcult  to transfer the recordings to my PC & I suspect that the discs will be unavailable soon.  .

I'll need a recorder with enough storage for  7-8hrs , or one which will take memory sticks ( i.e enough to take a weeks worth of recordings at Whitby.
Paul
Location NE Fife

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Digital Voice Recorders
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »

I use the fabulous Zoom H2 which can record upto 280 hours of 128kps mp3 dependant on the SD card you fit. It has 4 mics to collect surround sound....

Read the rest here http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »

I use my digital camera (maybe not best quality but it can suck a good session dry) to gather tunes, or in extremis - my mobile phone. The latter (a freebie) only has 1Gb memory so perhaps one day I'll run out of storage  ....

You won't need to record every tune at Whitby. (there will be much repetition)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:38:35 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

You won't need to record every tune at Whitby. (there will be much repetition)

But if you don't record everything you may well miss important stuff. 

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

Zoom H2.

This previous thread went into the subject pretty thoroughly, and I still agree with everything I said back then. Several Zoom H2s were in evidence in the various music courses on Skye last week. I transferred to PC (.wav files), Audacity-ed, converted to MP3 and emailed out several tracks before going out to cut the grass this morning. Recording quality, ease of use, price; you can hardly go wrong.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:54:09 AM »

Unlike the keyboards of some quoting posters here  ;)  this kit usually has a delete key! (viz record freely and delete ones you don't need equally freely)

My problem has been file formats.  My old phone used to produce a proprietary file that only played on Nikia Nokia oftware. The Sony-Erikson is better (jpgs mpegs, thanks chaps ::)). Camera puts out quite large wav files. Any tips at to easy conversion? Chris
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:59:12 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Brimley

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

I endorse the Zoom H2 - as we discussed on the other thread battery life is a potential problem, even with the best rechargeables, and so I tried to use the mains supply instead, only to trip over it and kick the H2 onto the floor (and I have done it more than once!)  So I decided the best thing was to recharge the batteries and two spares every time I take it out, and this seems about OK for most cases. 

I really like using it for band rehearsal purposes - just record every practice, and e-mail circulate the results to everyone for them to listen to the overall effect, learn the arrangement, and work on improving their part, should they wish to.

However, I have encountered something else - when recording through the mini jack input at line level I can't seem to get rid of the high noise and distortion, and I've found using the internal mikes gives a far better sound quality.  I put this to a techy friend, who said it wasn't a problem on his H4.  But then he tried it, and lo and behold, it was!  I think there's some sort of level mismatch, but I don't understand what it is.  I did have a look at the Zoom website, but not having Enigma or Kate Winslet to hand found deciphering some of the comments slightly beyond me.

Has anyone else found this problem?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

Quote from: Lester on Yesterday at 10:00:56 PM

Unlike the keyboards of some quoting posters here    this kit usually has a delete key!

My problem has been file formats.  My old phone used to produce a proprietary file that only played on Nikia software. The Sony-Erikson is better (jpgs I think). Camera puts out quite large wav files. Any tips at to easy conversion? Chris

Sorry - don't quite get the drift of your  first comment Chris?
 ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

Unlike the keyboards of some quoting posters here  ;)  this kit usually has a delete key!

My problem has been file formats.  My old phone used to produce a proprietary file that only played on Nikia software. The Sony-Erikson is better (jpgs I think). Camera puts out quite large wav files. Any tips at to easy conversion? Chris

Unlike you who does not check your spelling "Nikia", "Erikson" or thinks sound comes in jpgs   ;D

File conversion is most easily done in using Audacity in my world

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »

In my world conversion comes in all shapes and sizes, usually when it's least expected!
;)

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

It depends on what you want the recordings for. I make recordings at sessions in order to remember the tunes so I can play them next time, and at workshops for the same reason. I find I can get a good enough recording with a phone. Others I know use digital dictating machines. Recordings of sessions can be amazing when you play them back. When you're sitting there playing, you only hear the music and screen out the rest of the racket in the pub. Sometimes it can be difficult to hear the tune in a recording over the rest of the punters in the pub yelling at each other over the music. Even though I was sitting in the middle of the musicians on the opposite side to the rest of the pub. I don't think a high quality recording of that racket would help much.  >:E
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

I endorse the Zoom H2 - as we discussed on the other thread battery life is a potential problem, even with the best rechargeables, and so I tried to use the mains supply instead
Another H2 endorsement and agreement on batteries.

I have just come back from a week conference at Birmingham Conservatoire where recording equipment for the various recitals, masterclasses, etc. ranged from full flying mic arrays in the big recital hall to stereo mics in the smaller ones and a variety of Edirol and Zoom handhelds here and there.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

Thanks for the advice
Paul
Paul
Location NE Fife

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »

If you're running out of juice on your rechargeable AA batteries, check the capacity of your batteries - it should be printed on the battery body somewhere, sometimes as part of the logo.   Look for a figure quoted as "xxx mAh".  It should be in the region of 500mAh - 2700mAh for an AA size battery.   Cheap rechargeables are often only 500mAh.

Obviously, the 2700mAh will last longer than a 500mAh from fully charged, to fully dead.   The more mAh, the better.   I wouldn't bother with anything less than 1300mAh.   I fortunately acquired a load of 2700mAh, free, through work.  They last ages between recharges - even on my large screened, motor lens camera.   Only slightly less than normal Duracells.

You pay more for the higher capacity, but they are worth it in the long run - particularly if you use power hungry devices. 

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:57:15 PM by mikesamwild »
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »

I do miss a good instruction booklet though. If the Bible had been on a bit of software where would we be ???
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:02:33 PM by mikesamwild »
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »

Bible 15.3.25.3beta
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »

Er, yes. But here's an 'Audacious' question....I load in files that sound just wonderful in wav. format, and after conversion, the come out with distortion and odd growley noises. Have been wanting to make mp3's to post to Omvoice, but they convert terribly. I wind up putting the tunes up on You-tube in wav. format. Further, the newly uploaded tunes sound very good on You-Tube, but within 12 hrs or so, after things are done "processing", they seem to have diminished quite a bit in quality. Any thoughts out there? ???

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

I load in files that sound just wonderful in wav. format, and after conversion, the come out with distortion and odd growley noises.
Too much compression? If you export to mp3 you can click on 'options' to set the compression rate. Use at least something like 128 kbps for quality. Lower means smaller files but less quality.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal