Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMERGENCY APPEAL!!  (Read 1763 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
EMERGENCY APPEAL!!
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »

Hi all

I have a bit of a long shot of a request here.  Some of you will know that I am involved with (OK, I'm Squire of) Cyprus Morris. By courtesy of our good friends Manchester Morris Men, who spent a week with us a couple of years ago, we will be privileged to be taking part in the Buxton Day of Dance on July 15th.  Now, as I am required as a dancer, I'm not available to play; unfortunately the excellent musician I was negotiating with to play for us is, through totally unavoidable circumstances, not going to be available. SO......   is there anyone out there who's up for chancing their arm with a selection of morris tunes - mainly Cotswold, but with a bit of border, a soupçon of sword and even a touch of North-West style?  If you fancy it, all the tunes we're currently using are on Soundcloud.  The day runs from about 10.30 (meeting earlier, obviously, for briefing and the day's orders!) till about 4.30/4.45. You'd be our friend for life, and an honorary member of Cyprus Morris - now who could turn down an offer like that?

HELP!!!

Graham

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:34:23 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
Re: EMERGENCY APPEAL!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:11:56 PM »

Hello Graham

How many tunes are we talking about? I might be interested but I have no experience of playing for cotswold (always wanted to).

Martin

Graham Spencer

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:40:35 AM »

Hi Martin

Thank you very much indeed for the interest. Actually probably not all that many tunes for the Saturday, as there are 4 sides at any one stand, so we'll only be required to do 1 dance in 4 - I'd guess probably 2 dances per spot.

The total number of tunes we're currently using is, I think, 18 or 19, but some of those are very commonly played ones such as Cuckoo's Nest, Donkey Riding etc., and some could be substituted by another similar tune already in the player's repertoire.  There are 9 or 10 Cotswold dances which do need to have the right tune!  I'll send you a PM with the links to the Soundcloud recordings, and you can see what you think. (BTW the keys I've played them in are just the box I happened to pick up - the actual key they're played in on the day is irrelevant, really.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »

Graham, you'll need to put up a link to the Soundcloud tracks, I've just searched out of curiosity and Cyprus Morris gets me nowhere.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Graham Spencer

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »

Ah, that's because they're not listed under Cyprus Morris!  Search for MrKoilani and go to Tracks.

Graham

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:03:01 PM »

PM sent

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »

Ah, that's because they're not listed under Cyprus Morris!  Search for MrKoilani and go to Tracks.

Graham

There's some lovely stuff in there Graham, I may be a fan but I'll give the midi stuff a miss ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal