Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABC Software to add Chords to tunes  (Read 6365 times)

vof

• Regular debater
Re: ABC Software to add Chords to tunes
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »

After a bit of a struggle, I got this to work. On my W7 64-bit machine, I needed to
select 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth' after:

Options>Playback and MIDI options>MIDI Output Device

to get stuff to play. The quality of playback seems superior to that in (for example)
EasyABC.
I'm sorry Roger if I made it sound easier than it was. I just wanted to generate then listen to some chords so I didn't bother to configure the MIDI player but just asked Abcmus to output a MIDI file which I played through Windows Media Player. It was late, the W7 system is just a fallback/testbed system, so a quick and dirty experiment fitted the bill. >:E
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »

I'm sorry Roger if I made it sound easier than it was....

No problem - we are talking MS/Windoze here - everything is 'quick and dirty' - except
when it's 'slow and dirty'....

FWIW, the 'problems' I had were:
  • Refusal to install unless I explicitly created the destination directory first
  • Install script failed in the first instance - though a second/third attempt succeeded.
Remember to formally register the brute, otherwise some stuff won't work.

Most importantly though, I have now successfully installed it on a memory stick, so
I am now fully mobile....

Nice piece of software, though I still can't see how to select piano chords as opposed
to block chords.

I particularly like the ABC 'parser' which points up errors in the ABC code before playing.
These can be corrected 'on the fly' (though some of them are a bit strange - is the program
geared to an earlier version of ABC? It seems not to like closing ']' for instance.)

It seems not to be possible to save the 'strangeness' factor or the 'one chord per bar'
settings in a profile - this has to be done on a 'per tune' basis - pity (I may have
missed this though?).

I haven't tried the MIDI o/p facility yet as I normally do this from within EasyABC.

R
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:17:19 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »

is the program geared to an earlier version of ABC? It seems not to like closing ']' for instance

Context?  You can use a closing ] when notating a chord, but nowhere else.  As a kind of barline, ":|]" is common, wrong, and useless, though some obsolete software accepted it.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Roger Hare

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

Context?  You can use a closing ] when notating a chord, but nowhere else.  As a kind of barline,
":|]" is common, wrong, and useless, though some obsolete software accepted it.

You have correctly sussed out the exact context! I should have said 'ending', not 'closing', I
guess. The precise context is, for example, (from Bewick's Hornpipe in this instance):

.....| FAdf gece | d2 d2 d2 :|]

and ABCmus produces the error:

L 4: Error in ABC tune.: ]«« [262]

A small but significant number of the ABC scripts I have poached from various places have
this construct in there somewhere. I shall have to look out for it...

Also frequently encountered is A-B (for example), when (AB) is intended. Dunno if ABCmus
picks that one up.

R

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:08:04 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »

lachenal - what did you have to do to get ABCMus to run on W10? I have tried to install it, but get frequent messages saying that it is not possible to install most of the files, notably the .exe . Have you any suggestions please?

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Roger Hare

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »

lachenal - what did you have to do to get ABCMus to run on W10? I have tried to install it, but get frequent messages saying that it is not possible to install most of the files, notably the .exe . Have you any suggestions please?

The process is a fairly typical Windoze installation - a bit flaky - as you will see.

The machine is a small Asus notepad with 32Gb eMMC memory and W10 installed.
I have deleted much of the crapware which comes pre-installed on these machines,
including as much MS software as possible, and also all Adobe stuff. I have installed
freeware from responsible sources including EasyABC, ABCExplorer, MuseScore,
Sumatra, OpenOffice, FireFox, Chrome, GIMP, PortableApps, etc. The point about
all that is that I have installed quite a bit of software on the machine - this one was
a bit of a bugger!

You do need Administrator privileges, but I guess you will have set your machine up this
way when you first fired it up.

I kept getting the same sort of message as you, However:

The following is from memory - as you will probably appreciate, I don't want to delete
and re-install because of this 'flakiness-factor'.
  • When the installer abcmus20 is downloaded from the ABCmus site, it downloads
    to C:\ Downloads
  • When the installer is started, it tries to install in C:\Program Files (x86)\AbcMus2,
    it seemed to fail if AbcMus2 doe not exist, so I opened C:\Program Files (x86) and
    created the folder 'AbcMus2'
  • I then opened C:\Downloads and started the installer.
  • As is usual(?) with Windoze zipped/install files, it opened a dialogue asking if I
    had read the license agreement, etc. I simply answered Yes/OK/Accept to all
    questions, including accepting all suggestions for default directories/folders.
  • When completed, the dialogue asked if I wanted to start the program.
  • When I selected Yes, it failed because, as you found, the necessary files had not
    been created. Lord knows why! Thank you Microsoft, for supplying us with the worlds
    best semi-robust operating system!
  • So, being a bloody-minded git, I went through the whole procedure again from step
    3. This time, when I was asked if I wanted to start the program, it started!
  • I then exited the program, re-started it and registered it - you need information from
    the ABCmus site to do this. You will not be able to do some stuff unless you do this.
  • I then set the program up - selecting MIDI driver, instruments, edit window preference,
    default function, etc.
If that fails, come back to me and we can investigate further.

Good luck!

Roger.

Thinks. Must change that Lachenal74693 - can't go on masquerading as a 100 year old
concertina any longer, particularly on a melodeon site...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:08:23 PM by lachenal74693 »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »

Seemed to install ok in W10 (after I created folder for it).
Blowed if I can work out how to drive it, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »

Later...

<sound-effects on>
A faint tinkle is heard off-stage (sound of penny dropping - but not very loud)...
<sound-effects off>

I have a (very old) W7 machine which I don't use very often.  Installing on this
heap of old iron helped my failing and decrepit memory a bit...

I started the procedure outlined in my earlier post.

I got a 'User Account Control' window asking if I wished this progrram from an unknown
publisher (the installer) to make changes to my computer. Yes - and I then installed
as outlined in my earlier post.

After the installation failed, I was presented with a MS window which indicated that
summat was up (as if I didn't already know!) which asked if the program (the installer)
had installed correctly and did I want to restart. I said yes, and the whole procedure
started again - and worked.

I can't reproduce it or re-install from scratch. It looks as if once it's in there, it's in 
there with the bricks!

It looks as if, even though you have granted Adminiistrator privileges when setting
up the machine, those privileges are not granted automagically when a machine is
turned on. You need to make sure that those privileges are in operation before
doing the install. I cannot see how to do this explicitly on the W10 machine...

There are clearly subtle and ill-defined differences between W7 and W10 machines...

Not very helpful, but I hope that gets you a bit further along the road.

Oh joy! What fun we're having...

Roger
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:41:06 AM by lachenal74693 »

Roger Hare

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »

Later still. Hmm...

Try installing in a directory other than the one it suggests? A bit radical, I know, but
what the hell! This is all to do with needing administrator privileges to write to
'systemy' folders/directories, but not to bog-standard folders/directories which you
have created. Just a thought - I haven't tried it...

Roger.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:25:16 PM by lachenal74693 »

Roger Hare

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »

Seemed to install ok in W10 (after I created folder for it).
Blowed if I can work out how to drive it, though.

OK, here's a few hints, after I spent some time fiddling around today. Can't do any more at the
moment as my head is starting to hurt!

In no particular order, though I have tried to 'Begin at the beginning'.(*)

First - what about the built-in help information? Forget it. It is in MS/Windoze Help Format, which
as far as I can see was abandoned in 2006. Certainly it is not supported any longer. There is a utility
win32hlp.exe which is supposed to convert outdated .hlp files to  something readable, but I could
not get that program to install on my W10 machine. So, you(we) are on your(our) own, Jimmie!

In any case, as far as I can see, you need to be connected to the internet to get it to work
(though I can't imagine why!). I am a great believer in spending as little time as possible
connected to the internet. I like stand-alone programs.

Now, start the program.

You will see a window captioned 'Tips on how to use ABCmus'. There are a list of 24 such tips. Step
through them - you may find enough information here to get you started. Click the 'OK' to get rid of
the window.

Now, you will need to register the program:

Options>General Preferences>Register AbcMus>Name/Organisation/Serial Number>OK>Yes or No

and go through the procedure of filling in Name, Organisation and Serial Number. You will need to go
to http://www.norbeck.nu/abcmus/ to get this information. The website linked to in the Register window
did not work for me.

Once you have done this, click OK and the program is registered. You will also be asked if you agree to
the terms of the license document and if you wish to see this agreement. Just agree to everything and
exit the registration process.

If you do not do this, some stuff will not work - saving of edited ABC scripts, for instance.

To manipulate the 'Tips on how to use ABCmus' box which appears at start-up:

Select OK to close, or:
Untick 'Show at Startup' to disable appearance at start-up, or:
Options>General Preferences>General>Untick 'Show at Startup'>OK to disable appearance at start-up

You can also set 'Default Tool' here (ABC, Chords or Transpose). I set  Chords as this is my main reason
for using the program.

To select an edit window with all the ABC code, including headers:

Options>General Preferences>Edit Tune>tick 'Raw Edit is Default'>OK

You can also set default font and edit window size here. There is a maximum size for the edit window, I
chose 20x80.

To turn on MIDI o/p device and select MIDI instrument:

Options>Playback and MIDI options>MIDI

and make your selections

To set volumes:

Options>Playback and MIDI options>Volume

and set volumes.

To turn on piano chords and turn off block chords (as recommended in earlier post):

Options>Playback and MIDI options>Backing>Driving the Piano>Use...Style>OK

To play a tune:

Open an ABC file
In the Tune List which appears, double click on the tune required
Click the black play icon at the top of the window
Click Play in the Play window which appears

[You may also select Backing Style - ie: Piano Chords from within this box.]

or:

simply click the red play icon.

To insert/change and then play and save chords:

Click the toolbox icon at the top of the window. You will now see the Chord window.

Set the Strangeness(~20-25%)
Select Per Bar
Click Go

Exit the Chord window. You will be asked if you wish to save. Select Yes. The changed chords will now
appear in the Edit window. If you play again, you will hear the new/changed chords.

Now exit the Edit window. Again you will be asked if you want to save. Select Yes, whereupon the changed
script will be saved in the Tune List.

Exit the Tune List window. Again you will be asked if you want to save. Select Yes, whereupon the changed
script will be saved in the file.

It all seems a bit of a palaver, but it actually works quite well.

Exit the program and your ABC file should now contain the edited code.

There are a million other menus/options - most of which I don't understand because of the musical
knowledge required, but I hope the above will help get you (and anyone else) started..

Good luck.

Roger

(*)Oh, goodie! A quote from 'Alice in Wonderland' - or 'Under Milk Wood', if you prefer. This is really educational innit?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:26:33 PM by lachenal74693 »

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to say "thank you". I followed the above and it's up and running. It was the folder creation which seemed to enable everything else, as far as I can see.
I'm now playing around with Abcedit to get it to produce the fingering I need to play my de-clubbed C/F Liliput in Dm. I eventually fooled it into giving me the fingering as if it were a C one row, leaving the chords unaltered. This is a new machine for me and I'm having to work our chording as I go, since it is radically different from the D/G.
Thanks again everybody, especially Rog!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »

First - what about the built-in help information? Forget it. It is in MS/Windoze Help Format, which
as far as I can see was abandoned in 2006. Certainly it is not supported any longer. There is a utility
win32hlp.exe which is supposed to convert outdated .hlp files to  something readable, but I could
not get that program to install on my W10 machine. So, you(we) are on your(our) own, Jimmie!

....This is really educational innit?

Hope I am allowed to add this.
If you have a day to spare...a fix for W10 (I think) I've not tried it yet. The remark at the end has me a bit confused.

How to read an old “.hlp file (*)” on Windows 10 (x64, or, x86)
(*): The “.hlp file” must be read, without any problem, on Windows XP, 2000, ME, or, 98/98SE.
The following is a procedure to be able to read an old “.hlp file” on Windows 10 (x86).
(1) First, get the winhlp32.exe existing in the Windows directory of Windows XP (x86).
(2) Make a temporary folder (for example D:\TEMP) on the HDD of Windows 10 (x86).
(3) Copy the winhlp32.exe (obtained by the #(1) step) into the temporary folder D:\TEMP.
(4) Make a file, named Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd, by using the text editor.
All of the contents of the file (Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd) are as follows;
@echo off
set crtpth=%CD%
takeown /f "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" >nul
icacls "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F >nul
copy /y "%crtpth%\winhlp32.exe" %windir%
icacls "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" >nul
echo.
echo Done.
echo.
echo Press any key to Exit
pause >nul
exit
(5) Therefore, you can find two files (winhlp32.exe and Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd) in the D:\TEMP.
(6) Open the Command Prompt window, by selecting "Run as administrator.”
(7) Then, move the prompt to the D:\TEMP directory, by using Change Directory (CD)command.
(8) Under this condition, execute the Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd command in the D:\TEMP directory.
(9) After the completion of this execution, you can read an old “.hlp file” on Windows 10 (x86).
Remarks:
In the case of Windows 10 (x64), please use the winhlp32.exe existing in the Windows directory of Windows XP (x64).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »

....This is really educational innit?

Hope I am allowed to add this.

You are - thank you. I'll give it a go, though I now know enough to do what I want without recourse
to the help information

...The remark at the end has me a bit confused.

Put it down to irony coupled with a juvenile sense of humour, and a little bit of self-mockery.
Must stop doing it...

R

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:25:00 PM by lachenal74693 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal