Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass reed layouts in the 1920s - early 1930s Baldoni Irish-American accordions  (Read 5365 times)

tirpous

Funny how the Walters has the basses flat and the chords standing, while the Baldoni is (mostly) the other way.

Are these new reeds on the Baldoni ??

pgroff

Hi triskel,

Thanks! Yes, I think Anders' black 13 key Baldoni-Bartoli is probably later than most of my original focus here but still very interesting. As we've discussed before, that one has a grille design that is related to (but transformed relative to) the Madden Walters box - so it's interesting to compare with the Madden box and also with a black 13-key Baldoni that is more similar to the JJ Dwyer box and your former blond one.

The Simon McArdle / Greaney Walters is interesting, in part because its trim and decoration are so similar to the Fitzgerald Walters (wish we had internal pics of that one), which in turn would be interesting to compare to Rich's 8 voice Baldoni.

In  sum, now we have a few "survey markers" here, different designs of the bass-side reeds that can serve as references when more info turns up. I'll get up pics of a few more for comparison when I can. 

PG

70stack@gmail.com

Afternoon! I'm a bit late to this thread but can anyone recommend tuning options for a 4 bass button baldoni in D/C#? I don't think I need thirds! The tuning i have is a mess!

Thanks

tirpous

Afternoon! I'm a bit late to this thread but can anyone recommend tuning options for a 4 bass button baldoni in D/C#? I don't think I need thirds! The tuning i have is a mess!

Not sure if you mean which basses/chords to have, or how to tune them.  Typically the 4 buttons are D/A (bass + chord) and D/G (bass + chord). 

70stack@gmail.com

thanks! I've ended up with D/A and E/A but the chords have had some weird notes. I think it is a legacy of being changed to Csharp/D and back (and god knows what else)

70stack@gmail.com

sorry, A/E, not E/A

pgroff

sorry, A/E, not E/A

That could be useful if you play a lot in the key of A major. With 4 basses you just have to choose which ones are more important.

A lot of the original 4 bass D/C# boxes had D/A and C#/G#, even if there were only a few buttons in the C# row (such as 10 + 3 on the melody side). Seems not a good use of those extra 2 basses to me.  I have a special box like that inherited from a friend and struggle with whether to leave it just as it was when he had it, or to reversibly swap out those C#/G# basses and chords.

As was mentioned earlier, D/A  D/G is common. I'd think D/A and G/G would be more useful.

D/A and A/E like you have would be good for playing in A. Maybe useful for a bit of accompaniment on E minor / E modal tunes if you take the third (G# note) out of the E triad.

I've also heard of D/A and F#/B

Some of the old time players on these boxes never played the left hand buttons, some played only the D/A bass and chords (sometimes sparsely, sometimes relentlessly), some just used the D/A bass button (not the chords) and others used mostly the D/A chord button and seldom if ever the bass button.

So it's really up to you; if you're sure the original layout has been modified then originality isn't an issue and you have the freedom to suit yourself!

PG

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:05:20 PM by pgroff »

70stack@gmail.com

Thats great, really helpful.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal