Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Our very own Nick CB  (Read 2859 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Our very own Nick CB
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »

I wouldn't normally note Bourne River Morris' 50th birthday Day of Dance here, despite the numerous melodeons in action, but it's not every day you see Nick Collis-Bird playing for us. Nick is of course a long serving member of the side and we see far too little of him.

I should point out that the venue is a holiday site called Sandy Balls, but I'll leave it there.

Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Our very own Nick CB
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »

I went to Sandy Balls when I was a teenager.  It was a bare campsite then and we used to find it quicker to leave the site by crossing the old airfield to get to the road.  As I rode around the perimeter on my scooter (Mum wouldn't let me have a proper bike) I became aware that a large RC model Avro Lancaster was following me, then it opened it's bomb doors and I was peppered with toffees!

A few years later a whole gang of friends were camping there - much posher now.  We decided to stay in for the evening and built a fire into which we thrust a steel pipe with an airbed bellows attached.  It was much warmer now, but one of the girls' brother and his mates had also pitched up nearby and they placed foil wrapped potatoes around the fire to feed the munchies when they got back from the pub.  Unfortunately our blast furnace vaporized the spuds and we had to make them sandwiches instead.

Rob.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »

Thames Valley Morris, of whom I was a member way back when, used to hold an annual weekend of practice at the Order of Woodcraft Chivalry campsite which was accessed by driving through Sandy Balls and then down to the river. I fondly remember a weekend of being taught by there by Roy Dommett.

911377brian

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

I wonder what Nick did to upset the lady on the right of the picture...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »

I wouldn't normally note Bourne River Morris' 50th birthday Day of Dance here, despite the numerous melodeons in action, but it's not every day you see Nick Collis-Bird playing for us. Nick is of course a long serving member of the side and we see far too little of him.

I should point out that the venue is a holiday site called Sandy Balls, but I'll leave it there.

Wasn't there a nudist camp there?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:51 AM »

Sandy Beard more like.
Anyway, my case comes up next Thursday  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »

I say, Mr. NCB.....great to see you in action.
Take a bow that man.....  :||:
Qx
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

Nick!!! Great photo!!
I recognise that Dino....

Grape Ape

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Nick! Great to see you showing the young how it's done! Keep it up!

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:37:12 AM »

Thanks Frank, it was a gruelling day which is why I'm not smiling, which I usually do. It was a tune in Em a key that I still struggle with in D/G.... ho Hum.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris73

• Dog is man's best friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »

Great picture of a great man  :M
It could have been uncomfortable for your old Koch at Sandy Balls!  (:)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:52:30 PM by Chris73 »

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »

Thanks Frank, it was a gruelling day which is why I'm not smiling, which I usually do. It was a tune in Em a key that I still struggle with in D/G.... ho Hum.

I'm not surprised you struggle if you're playing an Em tune in D or G !  ;)

Good to see you in action , did your goggles stop the sand from your balls getting into your eyes ?

Spartacus
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

Thanks Pikey, I'm glad it's not just me.
I thought being 'uncomfortable for your old Koch at Sandy Balls' was some sort of euphemism..... ::)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »

Oh! You buggers.  ;D
Welcome back Pikey, we've all missed you.  >:E

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »

And as for you Q. You can stop that right now...... or not as the case may be.  8)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »

;D
xx
Thrupenny Bit

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »

Wait a minute, wait a minute I'M Spartacus.
However,  on a serious note it was a great day. On thing I did notice though. In the past when several dance teams were at a function eventually all the musicians ended up playing together. This didn't happen. OK I know the result sounded atrocious but it was camaraderie at its best. Maybe I'm wrong but things have changed. I used to say "one musician in" and we'd all get the beat and proper timing, ish.
   By the way, the goggles are there to stop me having to look at you ugly lot. :|glug

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

We danced with another side on Monday and all had a wonderful thrash in the pub afterwards.... all going for it hammer and tong.
I find that spontaneity is required so sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

I thought the goggles were protection for *us lot* saving us from looking at you (kid)
Or is it to protect others from those X-ray eyes?
 ;)
Thrupenny Bit

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

;D :D

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »

50th anniversary - blimey, that makes me feel old! I remember seeing Bourne River at a ring meeting - maybe Derby or Stafford? - in my early days with Jockey, when Bourne River were (like me!) very new, inexperienced and enthusiastic........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal