Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "I'm going to see Marc Savoy tomorrow" says Bob Ellis.  (Read 1798 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
"I'm going to see Marc Savoy tomorrow" says Bob Ellis.
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:43 AM »

Where's this, then? Or is it some private "do"?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

triskel

Re: "I'm going to see Marc Savoy tomorrow" says Bob Ellis.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:05:52 AM »

Google says: The Band Room, on the North York Moors at Kirkbymoorside.

Wish I could be there, it'd be nice to see them again and it's a lot closer than Eunice...  :(

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »

Thank you for that, such a shame I cannot get at such short notice. But maybe, by now, there's no tickets left anyway....B****r!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »

I would expect it to be sold out. The Band Room is a village hall in Farndale on the North Yorkshire Moors and only holds about 100 people, so I expect it will be sold out. I saw Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys there a couple of years ago, which was brilliant because the venue is so intimate. They have also had the Magnolia Sisters and several other top performers. I have no idea how they manage to get such high quality acts at such a small remote venue. I'm looking forward to seeing the Savoy Family Band again, having met them when they played at the Sage at Gateshead. Marc was kind enough to give me some tips on playing Cajun style.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

triskel

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:18:07 PM »

The Band Room is a village hall ... and only holds about 100 people, so I expect it will be sold out. I saw Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys there a couple of years ago, which was brilliant because the venue is so intimate. They have also had the Magnolia Sisters and several other top performers. I have no idea how they manage to get such high quality acts at such a small remote venue.

Your description reminds me of a lovely venue in North County Dublin, the Séamus Ennis Arts Centre at the Naul, where I saw Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys about 15 years ago. Mind you, it was a very different night to the previous time I'd seen them "on their home turf" playing for a dance at the Grant Street Dance Hall, by the railroad track in downtown Lafayette - in Louisiana it's very much music for dancing to, and (talking to them after the Séamus Ennis Centre gig) they admitted to me that they felt uncomfortable playing for an audience who weren't dancing...

I met all the Magnolia Sisters when I was in Louisiana in 2009, and I've several CDs of them, but I've yet to hear them perform live.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

It was an excellent evening in a friendly intimate venue. Marc and Ann were on form and their sons played some blistering fiddle duos. Also bought a couple of very good Cajun compilation CDs.

It was also nice to meet up with Tufty, Sylviane and Claire.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »

Agreed the band were great (I even spent hard cash on a CD!). Shame about the sound guy. Why is it so hard to just up the volume a bit without messing with the balance between instruments, distorting the sound or making my ears bleed? (One of my favourite moans for at least 30 years).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal