Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southern England, this month  (Read 2705 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Southern England, this month
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »

Hey Guys,

I will be camping in England in the next few weeks. Anything i shouldnt miss? Both landscape/campsite as folkmusic wise? It will be with wife and kids, so no workshops or anything like that, just stuff with a good atmosphere :-)
Recommendations welcome :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Southern England, this month
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

Dartmoor Folk Festival
http://www.dartmoorfolkfestival.org.uk/
The only festival I know with ferret racing! (Also lots of activities for kids).

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »

Sidmouth - Theo's link - is a week long festival and caters for absolutely everyone.
The kids can have fun and enjoy/ join in in such places as the Blackmoor gardens, open to all and free things going on all day.
That frees you up to nip round the corner to the Radway pub and join in an ever changing session  >:E
There is lots to see without needing to buy a ticket.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »

Definitely Dartmoor.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »

Yep Dartimoors good too!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »

Thx guys! Hope to convince the family!
:-)
W
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »

Both Sidmouth and Dartmoor festivals are held in a  very nice part of the country so plenty of chances to sightsee and enjoy the area away from the actual festivals.
If that helps!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:03:54 AM »

Only just seeing this thread, not sure if you've set off yet and can see this!

Southern England is a pretty wide area, do you know vaguely if you're going to be on the east, central, or west side? Near the coast, away from the coast? A lot of 'experiences' in the south can be uh, quite expensive, but some quite worthwhile. Transit can be awkward going horizontally, but many more central coastal cities from Weymouth through to Southampton, and Southampton through to Brighton are very achievable by train for day tripping, but reaching into either corner (even to eg Sidmouth) is a bit harder without a car but there are quite a few bus routes.

For landscape, if you do end up near the coast of the central to west areas, around the counties of Dorset or Devon, I'd definitely suggest exploring the Purbecks or any section of the Jurassic Coast. I'm partial to the eastern end but it's all good. There's miles after miles of public footpaths and some great views, although some fairly steep hills too so depending on the age of your children you might want to check it wouldn't be too hard going. But I mean, Kimmeridge, Durdle Door, Old Harry Rocks... there's a lot of breathtaking stuff. Should be plenty of information on http://jurassiccoast.org/ and a good 2 page map on that same site at http://jurassiccoast.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/travelmap_web.pdf detailing the areas.

Near my specific neck of the woods, in the area around Poole Harbour & Swanage, should you happen to find yourself here, there's several short cruise options as well as a heritage railway from Swanage to Corfe Castle (worth visiting in of itself) where you can ride a steam train (we took my SIL on http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/events/detail/sea-train-adventure and we had a nice time), as well as fireworks on Thursdays over the summer off of Poole Quay ( http://www.pooletourism.com/go.php?structureID=pages&ref=I483EBDEDB0560 ) but they're at about 10 pm which might make it hard to fit into your camping structure & kids. There's also the sandbanks beaches, as well as the option to daytrip inland to the New Forest.

For folky things, I believe there's also Bridport Folk Festival (which is new, I think?) the 2nd weekend in August, just after Sidmouth's folk week packs up, and Purbeck Folk festival at the end of august, depending what times you're here, but I haven't been to either before so can't give an honest recommendation.

Hope you all have a nice time, whatever happens!

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »

Damn, i didnt see the last comments before i left, but i had a perfect time, thx! And i was able to drag my family to Sidmouth, even if it was only one day :-)
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »

With the rain the day before the opening reducing the campsite to knee deep mud in places, it seemed to set the tone for the week. One day was probably a good idea!
Did you manage to see or play in any sessions?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »

We werent on the festival campsite,but were camping on a functional airport/campsite :-)

I found the central area where the stands are, and got to play the Oakwoods there. (the 2voice one was very good!) And the kids enjoyed themselves with some great musical entertainment, even without understanding any English.

And i found the hotel too, for the sessions, and looked around a bit, but it was a bit too crowdy for 3 young kids, and i had left my giordy in the tent that day anyway. It did seem like a very nice atmosphere. I might return some day,...without kids,.. ;-)
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »

Glad to hear you had a positive experience, and yes the atmosphere is always good at a festival here.
The enormity of the festival is something that people often find bewildering when they first bump into it. There is a kids festival built into the wweek's events, so they can learn or just have fun with 'folkie based' entertainment. It tends to be very family oriented.
Hope to see you back there sometime!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »

Glad to hear you had a positive experience, and yes the atmosphere is always good at a festival here.
The enormity of the festival is something that people often find bewildering when they first bump into it. There is a kids festival built into the wweek's events, so they can learn or just have fun with 'folkie based' entertainment. It tends to be very family oriented.
Hope to see you back there sometime!
Q

Yes, i liked the kids "folkie based' entertainment a lot. The language is an issue though, my eldest is 9, and is just starting her English lessons in school :-)
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »

Well, there's tine yet, and possibly an incentive or objective for your kids to aim for.
Glad you saw that aspect of the festival you now have an idea of what it can offer for all the family.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal