Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you keep a tune going?  (Read 20555 times)

Pushpull

• Regular debater
Re: How do you keep a tune going?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »

Hmm...for some reason the more times i play a particular tune the worse it sounds and more mistakes i make. Its illogical captain. Why is this happening? Surely i should be getting better instead?
Play it more and probably slower. Instead of the aabb you say you're doing, try aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........ until you are thoroughly fed up.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »

After 2hrs solid laying for busking, my arms almost did fall off!

??? ??? :o

I'll warn my hens about that!
lol! That made me spit my tea out with laughter. ;D

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »

Even stranger, perhaps, is that certain tunes are more of a strain than others.  OK, so that might be expected to some extent, but I guess I play certain tunes with more attack - Bear Dance being one of those, along with Balquidder Lasses.  Now neither of these tunes is particularly fast or tricky, but when played for Morris, I find I have to play with as much emphasis on beat and phrasing as possible to contain the run-away tendencies of the rest of the band. 

I agree it's not as serious as when playing the four-stop in a wide-open arena (sound evaporates into thin air...), for which I would recomend SAS training in resisting torture!  Never admit to yourself that it hurts - like a ballerina, smiling through the pain.  Even bigger problem in the practice season, when they finish the dance and then substitute new dancers to go again!

Unless you're having to maintain the drive, bounce and pace on your own, just back off a tad and maybe wriggle a bit to ease the muscles.  With a big (>2) band, why not make out the strap has slipped and drop out for a measure?

It comes with practice!
Rob.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »

Lets put this into context Mum (calling) and the band who currently have no name (for some reason they didn't like my suggestion of busy lizzie and the plant pots?) have been asked to do another barn dance in september. I've been told I can play my melodeon for the short 2min 'rest' between two dances and my mum wants me to play bear dance. No one has said if this will be me on my own or if i'll have help from the others. So i'm really worried i won't be able to keep playing that long without causing myself damage because of how much I ached after my 'practice'.
I'm fretting that I'm not ready. :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:12:22 PM by ladydetemps »

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

for some reason they didn't like my suggestion of busy lizzie and the plant pots

Well I think it's a brilliant name....wish we'd thought of it when we were looking for a name for our band.
I'm not sure the other guys would have been happy as the plant pots, though. Red Hot Pokers, maybe, but I believe that one's been done...... :(

No one has said if this will be me on my own or if i'll have help from the others.

Absolutely and definitely get the band to play with you, and have a practice first. You might find they've got a vacancy for a melodeon player!
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »

Thats great ladyT, I remember when you said you couldnt play anything, things like this are great experience, totally different to sessions and will aid your playing in the future.

I still find playing for dancing quite difficult, especially as I dont get the practise very often. Playing in sessions (which I do most weeks at least once) is so easy in comparison, as there is less pressure to get it right, and if you go wrong its not like there are 6 blokes looking at you, a bit annoyed!

As to keeping a tune going, like people have said, practise it properly each time. Practice each tune AABBAABBAABB as you would play in a session, and you will find it a lot easier on the day, as you wont be doing it differently to how you practise it. Also, once you know a tune well enough, practise a beginning and an end, even playing the last couple of notes differently will give it an 'arranged' feel, and will sound  great.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »

Agree. It's really tempting to just go through each tune once in a pactice. Real music isn't like that, and 3 times through seems the norm.

>:E Practicing in this way also makes you notice how flat that tune feel by it's second repeat, and encourages variation and impro. I don't personally think you should ever 'play it the same' twice let alone 3 times - but I know that some Irish Sessioners will disagree.
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »

Thats great ladyT, I remember when you said you couldnt play anything, things like this are great experience, totally different to sessions and will aid your playing in the future.
got some info last night may or may not happen now as another band want to play too so may not be time.

I still find playing for dancing quite difficult, especially as I dont get the practise very often. Playing in sessions (which I do most weeks at least once) is so easy in comparison, as there is less pressure to get it right, and if you go wrong its not like there are 6 blokes looking at you, a bit annoyed!
just flutter your eyelashes ;)

Agree. It's really tempting to just go through each tune once in a pactice. Real music isn't like that, and 3 times through seems the norm.

>:E Practicing in this way also makes you notice how flat that tune feel by it's second repeat, and encourages variation and impro. I don't personally think you should ever 'play it the same' twice let alone 3 times - but I know that some Irish Sessioners will disagree.
Which I had the skills to add some variation that wasn't a 'mistake'. :P

After some experimenting I think I ache more when I stand up than sitting down.

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »

I don't personally think you should ever 'play it the same' twice let alone 3 times - but I know that some Irish Sessioners will disagree.

It depends in what context. if I get a tune going and it sounds right, I will keep it going for a lot longer. Get the wole hypnotic vibe going!

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

In Grey Larsen's Flute and Whistle tutor he analyses Matt Molloy's playing and Matt Molloy never plays the tune the same way on each play through .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:41:57 PM by Tyker »
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

I'm starting that the weight even when sitting down is actually an issue. I tried a pokerwork the other day (comparison essay subject for another thread) but I found it so light compared to the sara and I didn't get that shoulder ache after playing bear dance I usually get.
Its so annoying I love my melodeon..but if its causing me pain I'm going to have to change. :(

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »

if its causing me pain I'm going to have to change

Not necessarily. It's probably better to have a good look at how you are attached to the Melodeon. If your box is heavy and you are playing sitting down, try lengthening your straps (or playing with one strap) and resting the weight of the box on your knee.

I've got a box that weighs a tonne, but find that if I sit it on my knee like a ventriloquist's dummy, then it is perfectly stable and balanced and I can play for ages.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »

if its causing me pain I'm going to have to change

Not necessarily. It's probably better to have a good look at how you are attached to the Melodeon. If your box is heavy and you are playing sitting down, try lengthening your straps (or playing with one strap) and resting the weight of the box on your knee.

I've got a box that weighs a tonne, but find that if I sit it on my knee like a ventriloquist's dummy, then it is perfectly stable and balanced and I can play for ages.
As soon as I lengthen the straps..the box wobbles like mad and the straps fall off my shoulders. >:(
At Witney I will be taking a survey...on how to do my straps. I've loosened them a bit lately after Georges suggestion...but have yet to find the optimum arrangement.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »

Here's a variant on Owen's suggestion, which works for me when I'm playing seated.
Sit with your legs close-ish together and so that your right thigh is slightly higher than your left - maybe even cross your right leg over your left to achieve this. Then rest the bottom edge of the keyboard grill gainst the inside of your right thigh, with the weight of the box itself falling mainly on your left. In this position you can use your right thigh and your right thumb together to brace the box so that it is stable on push. All of this should make the left strap more or less redundant. So don't wear it, and tuck it out of the way. However you will need the right strap to make the box stable on pull. So, with the box in this position, and with your upper body in a comfortable posture, lengthen/tighten the right strap so that there is hardly any spare play in it.
Might not work for you. And/or it might take a little getting used to. But anyway I'm sure there will be plenty of alternative helpful suggestions both here and at Witney.
The problem with that one is I can never get my legs to cross over for long..for some reason crossing left over right is easy but right over left is hard. (my leg goes numb coz the blood circulation gets cut off)  :o  But I have just had in idea if I can get a doorstop of a book to rest my foot on that might work.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »

It is also about being relaxed when you are playing.  That too will come with practice.  Don't use any more muscles than absolutely necessary, and mental tensions (such as being new to playing with others)  can easily lead to tense muscles too.  Being conscious of the tension can help to let it go.

Glad you asked this question LDT because I have exactly the same problem. Last weekend I played with a buddy who is a terrific fiddle player - first time I have had the courage to play with anyone else and apart from stuffing up a lot, I got tired quickly. Mostly though I think I suffered from what Theo refers to here - the nerves of playing with others! I am taking lots of the advice here - playing tunes three times through, walking around the house while playing etc....basically keepin' squeezin'  :|||: :|||: :|||:
I don't get 'jigs'

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »

in fact, pretty much as Bob Ellis seems to be doing.

Another couple of good examples here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1531689&id=611503443&l=37f451dae7

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

The problem with that one is I can never get my legs to cross over for long..for some reason crossing left over right is easy but right over left is hard. (my leg goes numb coz the blood circulation gets cut off)  :o  But I have just had in idea if I can get a doorstop of a book to rest my foot on that might work.
Another possibility, if crossing your legs doesn't work for you, is to achieve the same effect by sitting with your right foot resting on your melodeon case, thus raising your right leg a few inches above your left and enabling you to rest your melodeon against the inside of your thigh.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »

in fact, pretty much as Bob Ellis seems to be doing.

Another couple of good examples here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1531689&id=611503443&l=37f451dae7
There's a number of Melnetter's just waiting to be tagged in that Facebook album!!

Plus a wide variety of playing styles to try.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:31 AM »

There's a number of Melnetter's just waiting to be tagged in that Facebook album!!
I'm in there even http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1531662&id=611503443&l=37f451dae7
the moment I bought my new melodeon.  ;D :|||:

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:22 PM »

I'm starting that the weight even when sitting down is actually an issue. I tried a pokerwork the other day (comparison essay subject for another thread) but I found it so light compared to the sara and I didn't get that shoulder ache after playing bear dance I usually get.
Its so annoying I love my melodeon..but if its causing me pain I'm going to have to change. :(

I wonder.......  the actual difference in weight between your Beltuna and Pokerwork probably isn't that geat (although I'm saying that without seeing the specs). Perhaps the bellows on the Beltuna are still fairly stiff. The strain on the shoulders would then be from the "in-out" workout you're receiving rather than from any additional weight of the box itself. You haven't had the Beltuna all that long, so the bellows will probably loosen. Your muscles will also get used to the slightly more prolonged exercise!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal