Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DHL / UK-Mail have lost my melodeon and couldn't care less  (Read 6518 times)

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
Re: DHL / UK-Mail have lost my melodeon and couldn't care less
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »

Thanks, folks.

I just emailed the very kind and helpful lady at the business where the box is currently on holiday and she said UK-Mail called earlier to arrange a pickup of the parcel!

:-0

This is the first I've heard of this.

She did say that she told them they close at 5:30, so she'd keep me informed on how things progress.

If they are at least trying to get it to me, I reckon I had better wait and see what happens next before I muddy the waters any more than they already are (and they're pretty opaque at the current time).

Onwards and upwards, eh?

Will
Will

invadm

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »

it sounds like you will have your parcel soon after all  (:)  you can chill now  :|glug
DHL ,FEDEX even parcel force offer pick up/collect and deliver  option when you pay on line,no need to print any label they do it them self on pick up..worst case you could arrange your self, at least you know where it is and they are happy to help  ;)

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

I suppose you could pay for a courier to pick it up and deliver it to you, that would be easier than collection in person,and the small additional cost could be worth it rather than more hassle dealing with eBay and U.K. Mail.

Actually, I've now had a phone call saying that UK-Mail will be delivering the box to me tomorrow!

I will get a call at 10am to let me know roughly when they will be outside my door.

Fingers firmly crossed!

Will
Will

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »

Mistakes can and do happen, you can gauge a business by how they react to this and correct a problem, hopefully by this time tomorrow you will know and the result will be good.
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »

Richard's right. A few years ago I had a similar problem. There were two parcels awaiting pick up by parcel force. One, some extremely important bound documents for the now defunct World Bank and the other a dead power drill to go back to Screwfix. Yes you can guess what happened. Screwfix returns dept. Scratching their heads wondering what these bound books were about and the World Bank thinking someone was sending safe breaking stuff.
Screwfix were magnificent after a few phone calls they forwarded the books to the right address and at no cost to us.  World Bank? No one ever saw the drill again.
Parcel force in their wisdom had switched consignment numbers.
   Really hope you get it today Will.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »

Just done some research. World Bank still exists, but it's not the same crowd as we worked for.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »

UK-Mail have called to say they will deliver the box to me today! :D

I'm optimistic, but not holding my breath just yet.

Hopefully a very happy resolution by the end of the day!

Will
Will

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »

have been a secret watcher of the thread and horrified at the mix up having had a few nightmares ourselves with non-melodeon deliveries.
Really hope today's the day......
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, the eagle has landed! :D

Melodeon arrived about 20mins ago and I've been giving it the once over.

Seems to be in tune and all buttons sound, except one of the accidentals on the third row doesn't speak when I press in the far right voice button, but hopefully not hard or expensive to resolve.

Ok, off to play! :D

Will
Will

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »

Result!
Great news, thank goodness for that!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Howard

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

:Ph

R
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »

Hooray, 3 times  ;D

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

Richard's right. A few years ago I had a similar problem. There were two parcels awaiting pick up by parcel force. One, some extremely important bound documents for the now defunct World Bank and the other a dead power drill to go back to Screwfix. Yes you can guess what happened. Screwfix returns dept. Scratching their heads wondering what these bound books were about and the World Bank thinking someone was sending safe breaking stuff.
Screwfix were magnificent after a few phone calls they forwarded the books to the right address and at no cost to us.  World Bank? No one ever saw the drill again.
Parcel force in their wisdom had switched consignment numbers.
   Really hope you get it today Will.

Oo-er, Mr Lamb ....   (you'll need to be of a certain age to understand that).
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, the eagle has landed! :D

Melodeon arrived about 20mins ago and I've been giving it the once over.

Seems to be in tune and all buttons sound, except one of the accidentals on the third row doesn't speak when I press in the far right voice button, but hopefully not hard or expensive to resolve.

Hooray! Congratulations!
The non-speaking note is hopefully not too difficult to fix. By far the most common cause is a speck of dust or fluff caught in the reed tongue. I've seen a cat hair stopping a note from sounding before now. The solution is to open up the box by removing the bellows pins (straight upwards pull with a pair of pliers) and ease off the end of the box. You should be able to see the reed blocks. Locate the offending reed. It may take a bit of working out, but I'm sure you can find it once you have the box open and can see what is what and how the thing works - INRS!

Remember that the push reeds are the visible ones on the outside of the reed plate, the pull reeds are hidden on the internal surface of the reed plate, covered by the valve. If your non-sounding note is a push reed, gently 'ping' the reed tongue a couple of times using a cocktail stick or small screwdriver blade (in the absence of a proper reed pinger/lifter). If it is a pull reed, then use a cocktail stick to just lift the valve a fraction and then gently push down a short distance (2 - 3 millimetres, typically) on the underneath reed tongue a few times. That ought to clear any debris. Go gently and carefully and you should be OK. Take care not to bend or crease any of the valves.

Reassemble the box. Re-insert the bellows pins back into the same holes from whence they came. Use the pliers handle or similar to push the pins home. See if you have cured the non-sounding reed. If not, repeat the process. If still no luck, come back here for more advice.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »

But before that here is a simple technique that is worth trying first

Hold down the button with the coupler setting that shows the single silent reed.  Then pump the bellows in and out as hard as you dare.   Only takes a few seconds and may help you avoid opening the instrument.   Of course you may well want to open the instrument just to see how things are inside ...
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 07:09:15 PM »

The solution is to open up the box by removing the bellows pins (straight upwards pull with a pair of pliers) and ease off the end of the box. You should be able to see the reed blocks. Locate the offending reed.
Upwards, of course if the box is lying on its back or front. I know this sounds incredibly pedantic, but words are dangerous things.
I once tried getting my mum to operate a computer mouse. I showed her the cursor, and how it was operated by the mouse. Then I said: 'so grab the mouse and move it round the screen'. Of course she dragged the mouse over the screen.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »

Thanks for all the advice. It's very much appreciated. Notes being made as I speak.

As this is my first club/melodeon, I'm going to take it for an MOT with the man who does all my buddy's boxes.

My friend came over yesterday evening to have a look and play. He said it as obviously very well cared for (including the case) and in very good nick. He doesn't play club, but still managed to make it sound really nice. :)

Can someone point me to a good collection of simple-ish abc tunes that I can try? I know there are lots of tune links, but if someone (perhaps a club player like Theo) could give me a stepwise way into learning this great instrument, I would appreciate the wisdom and insight. Perhaps a few single-row tunes to get my fingers working and so I can coordinate my right-hand bass with my left-hand melody.

By all means, please refer me to a more appropriate thread for this is need be.

Can't wait to get my work done today so I can have another bash! :D
Will

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 08:13:19 AM »

Can someone point me to a good collection of simple-ish abc tunes that I can try?

Loads of tunes with ABC here, including single row tunes

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »

Can someone point me to a good collection of simple-ish abc tunes that I can try? I know there are lots of tune links, but if someone (perhaps a club player like Theo) could give me a stepwise way into learning this great instrument, I would appreciate the wisdom and insight

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't play the club system, just a converted club box. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal