Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Early Learning Reflections  (Read 1617 times)

Don Bergland

Some Early Learning Reflections
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »

It's Sunday morning here in Western Canada, and I'm just reflecting on some of my recent melodeon encounters.

I'm still a humbled novice on the melodeon. I only started working on this incredible instrument a few months ago (at the age of 71). I've already worked my way through several Hohners. As I indicated in previous posts, I just purchased a Castagnari Brio G/C, and am ferociously working with it, trying desperately to like everything about it. The instrument has an amazing delicacy and sensitivity that my Hohners don't seem to possess (at least in my untutored experience).

The last instrument I worked with (before my Castagnari purchase) was a Hohner Erica G/C. In my last few months of study, I learned a certain repertoire (simple songs and exercises) on this instrument. I'm now sitting in my studio, with the Erica and the Brio in front of me, picking up one, and then the other, comparing them and working through the songs/exercises that I know on each of them.

I am discovering something very interesting.

Some of the songs I play on Erica, don't transfer well to the Brio, and vice versa. Maybe it is just my lack of skill. When I play "Nadiejda" on the Erica, for example, it sounds okay. But when I play the same notes on the Brio, an entire new world of sound suddenly appears. The notes feel articulated and balanced in entirely new way. When I play "Hanter Dro Languidic" on the Erica, my heart roars with impassioned motion. I want to stand up and rejoice! When I play it on the Brio, I want to go to sleep. Again, maybe this is just my own subjective analysis and lack of skilled ability on these instruments.

Of course, as a multi-instrumentalist I should be entirely aware of the sonic differences in brands and models of various instruments. But although I have a collection of over 40 instruments (string, wind, brass), none of the various models within categories have such a strong difference in sound, tonality, and expressive voice as do the several melodeons I own.

Again, all of this may be entirely due to my own lack of skill and knowledge. But it does seem to me that my Erica is is a Teutonic warrior fitted out for stirring the emotions in an impassioned way, whereas my Brio is an academic scholar with a fine regard for punctuation and grammar. I suppose this is one reason for owning several instruments. Each has its own unique voice and its own special way of expression. What plays beautifully on one instrument, may sound uninspired on another. Again, this is just an entirely subjective overview of my own situation.

But, I think this may end up providing a very good reason for continuing my acquisition of different melodeons!! I'll see if my wife empathizes with this view of things(?)

Thanks
Don

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Some Early Learning Reflections
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »

Welcome to the Nut House, Don. MAD has struck again, let's hope you start another epidemic!!!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »

Don, asking for "empathazes" is asking a lot.  Most would be willing to settle for grudgingly tolerate.  :Ph
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »

Don, asking for "empathazes" is asking a lot.  Most would be willing to settle for grudgingly tolerate.  :Ph

I'm thinking of getting a T-shirt emblazoned "Oh God, not another one........."
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »

Thought you had one George.  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

Yes, even the same models can sound quite different - and also vary from day to day.
And then you start getting stressed at the thought of being without the favourite instrument for any reason...need to get mine cloned I reckon...
Yep, I know I've got other ones but they are not quite the same !
(But maybe if I buy another it'll make me feel better...and there's usually one or two available at Sidmouth folk week... ::)
J
Old Bones Dance Band

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »

Thought you had one George.  >:E

I'll leave George to answer that.......
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »

Sire
I'd recommend play your instruments in different rooms and even open air.

You will discover more differences or advantages to your melodeons ..

My three voice fills any room with sound my two voice and one voice not as much.

Again perception and ear sensitivity I don't posses 40 instruments coming from a drumming background unless you count each stick as a different instrument 😂

Enjoy the Madness = new alibis to get new melodeons 📦
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal