Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for another box?  (Read 3800 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Suggestions for another box?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:11 AM »

Steve, your recommendation of the 1914 is definitely of interest and I would also be interested to try a Trilly, although it doesn't have the advantage of the 2 extra buttons, it does have 7 choices of sound on the treble side - but how often would I use that? Could be a lot of money for not much gain?

The Trilly indeed has 7 switches on the front centre of the grille, but some of them are duplicates. The switches allow you to select M, MM, LMM, LM and L.
The 1914 has 2 switches on top end of the grille, same as the Hascy and Fazzy. These allow you to select M, MM, LMM, LM, but not L on its own.

Personally I prefer the convenience of the 1914 with its independent two-button half-row. The position of the grille switches allows you to operate them with your thumb during playing, and the inability to select the L voice on its own has never been an issue for me.

Also, where I personally differ from Theo's opinion, I do like a three-voice LMM for my G/C box. Yes - as Theo says, with the relatively low pitched sound of a G/C box, a 2-voice MM box does not sound squeaky in the upper octave, but on the other hand, the sound of the LM 'bandoneon' setting is very seductive (good for tangos and smoochy mazurkas), and the full LMM 'plein jeu' setting is magnificent.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:56:46 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grape Ape

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 02:52:02 AM »

Agree with all of the above, except I do love the L note by itself option as well. 

Play and Teach, I haven't recorded much in a couple of years, but perhaps this is the push I need to do so.  If nothing else I coupd email you videos.  I must say, the Gaillard is a precise but somewhat unforgiving (of mistakes) instrument.  It's sound is clean and crisp and takes getting used to as it really does demand the player execute at a higher level.

arty

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »

Hmmm.  Fair enough, and don't really need to sell it.  But, just out of curiosity, does this clip illustrate or dispute your thoughts on the sound of a Gaillard?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=leIF6IjYatU

It is purely a matter of taste...a bit like the Marmite thing. Of course I recognise the quality of the Gaillard sound but, for me, I prefer the sweeter Castagnari sound.
I enjoyed your link very much indeed but I find, for example this, much sweeter:  https://youtu.be/fMxcoThidck

I am not saying one is better than the other, it is just what I prefer.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »

arty, I'm not sure if you've listened to much of Leveret's music?
They have 2 cd's out and a huge amount of decent recordings on YouTube.
In it Andy cutting  plays his trusty DG Mory *and* an 18 bass Pariselle that is BbEb. He's immensely proud of it ( quite rightly ) as he was invited over to Emmanuelle's house and built it himself.
Their choice of tunes means this BbEb gets featured a fair bit.
.....and it's lovely music too!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »

Thank you Q, yes, you are right...aren't they wonderful ! https://youtu.be/fMi5krEpwyc

I have a friend who is a friend of Emmanuel Pariselle and has built a G/C with him. I am waiting for him to come back from holiday so that I can try it out.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

arty

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »

Actually Q, that tune that Leveret is playing on the link I shared is called "Millford". I have just found the sheet music, if anyone is interested: http://www.diatonia.net/MAS/pdf/MAS_008-Millford.pdf
Two sheets here, I think ..... one in G and the other in C.
Enjoy!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »

ah..... good. Thought you'd have leant an ear to them.
Sounds like you are exploring a lot of good avenues to follow, well, all the ones that come to my mind!

I've not yet attempted to build a Pariselle myself, but have caught up with friends and Theo at 3 builds I think when run at Yeovil.
They are quite magnificent boxes, and some of the woods used are just to die for ( being a woodworm in a previous life! ). Plus of course the understanding and experience from making your own. It might be a good avenue to explore.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »

Yes, thanks, it is known here.
A friend is playing it regularly at post morris sessions, haven't got my head round it yet but will do soon!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »

Grape Ape, both my boxes highlight my mistakes so I don't know why any box should be able to  combine clarity of sound with covering fire. I suspect that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway but I'd love to hear it and you.
Arty, I suspect that the Naragonia sound is partly box, partly skill of the player, partly acoustic and partly recording techniques. True too, for the Gaillard.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal