Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member ...get ready to put your head in your hands!!  (Read 1260 times)

Mel Phelps

New Member ...get ready to put your head in your hands!!
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »

Hi there
Well im new here as a few days ago I bought myself a Hohner Double Ray B/C box. Now I am very happy with it love it in fact and have started practicing despite never having touched one before in my life! Ive always wanted to learn but did no research (unlike me), didnt consider tge various tuning options, makes, music leanings etc and spontaneously just got the lovely thing while im holidaying in Ireland. (Told you youd have your head in your hands!) Anyway, im determined to learn to play and was wandering whether you could recommend a good beginners technique book or point me in the right direction until i can find a teacher? Ive got a couple of starter books with tunes in and can already read music but its more of the technique of the push/pull etc that I am completely clueless about. Also the wrist strap by the base notes is very loose and unadjustable, is that right? Any help appreciated!!😊

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: New Member ...get ready to put your head in your hands!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »

The strap will be straightforward to alter, depending on your ability to make new holes in the strap - assuming it really is unadjustable. You'd be surprised how close the new holes have to be to the old ones, even a few millimetres makes a big difference. In the meantime you can slide a pencil in one or both ends to take up some slack depending on what the feet are like - I can get a pencil in the strap but on the outside of the feet, if you see what I mean.
You'll find plenty of help here. You have a semitone box, which rules half of us out. Don't be afraid to tell people your rough location for teachers etc.
Good luck

Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »

Hi Mel and welcome to the forum.  If you give us an idea where you are located  it is possible that somebody local to you could  offer some help. There is also a teachers list on the forum .

As to BC tutor books there are not a lot around!  ''The Box'' by david hanrahan is I think still in print and should be available on ebay.  Its fairly basic but will help to get you started.

The easiest way to get the hang of a BC box is to learn the scales for the keys of G and D for starters. eg the key of G is played on the C (inside) row with the exeption of  the F# which is on the outside row.

If you are in North Wales I can offer BC tuition but please note that my tutor book ( advertised at the bottom of this post) is specifically for the DG melodeon and is NOT suitable for the BC.

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mel Phelps

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Ill def look at adding holes to wrist strap and am going to look today for something a bit more comprehensive in tutorial books for the B/C as have The Box but there is not much in that one. I may ask on the thread for more advice on this. George, thanks but i am near Bristol so although we love North Wales probably a bit too far to travel for lessons. Again I may add new post and ask. Thank you both. 😊

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »

Mel, you realise that you can ask anything "round these parts"
 Welcome to the forum by the way.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal