Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pad for back of Hohner Club IIIM  (Read 2381 times)

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
Pad for back of Hohner Club IIIM
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »

I've looked on Google and found references to getting backing pads for Hohner Corona IIs, but so far nothing for a Club IIIM.

Does anyone know if these can be had easily? I'd like to cut down on the wear on the back of the bellows on my IIIM.

Thanks,

Will
Will

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Pad for back of Hohner Club IIIM
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »

There isn't a special back pad for Club IIIM.  Just get one that is the right dimensions.  The Corona pad should fit ok.  Whichever one you fit will require a number of press stud bases to be screwed to the back of the treble side.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Sebastian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »

I'd like to cut down on the wear on the back of the bellows on my IIIM.
If you play the box in the correct position there is no need for such additional weight and bulk. - But opinions may vary.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »

One man's correct is another man's can of worms.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 02:21:22 AM »

One man's correct is another man's can of worms.
Correct. It all started when people where abandoning their thumbstraps in ye olden days, thus opening Pandora's box.

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »

Thanks to everyone for your advice (and particularly Les for the link).

My Hohner doesn't have a thumb strap, so I can't comment on whether that would make any difference.

I sit in a hardback chair (kitchen chair) when I play. I sit upright with my left leg sometimes crossed over my right, but not always. I have the club firmly against my chest, but I can still hear the left-hand strap clicking against the back of the bellows at times and there is already a certain amount of very obvious wear where the bellows joins the right-hand side of the instrument.

Please advise whether this isn't the correct sitting position. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but also don't want to wear into my bellows either.

Will
Will

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »

I had a back pad on a small accordion, and it protected it against buttons and belts, but it wouldn't have helped with the bellows corners catching on the straps! So you may find you need a different solution.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »

I think I've found a simpler solution.

I've taken a few inches of leather boot lace and used that to tie the bottom ends of the shoulder straps closer together (more or less on top of each other) at the bracket where they are strapped to the instrument. Now the left shoulder strap can't come in contact with the bellows.

Well, at least not without me doing so fairly athletic contortions. :)

Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Will
Will

Sebastian

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »

there is already a certain amount of very obvious wear where the bellows joins the right-hand side of the instrument.
Yes, that wear shouldn't progress. I think you could play a little bit with the length of the straps. If you put the instrument a bit further to the left on your chest, than the strap should not stop rubbing against the bellows. Also, maybe the box shouldn't be put too tight onto your chest.

(The comment on thumbstraps wasn't too serious but more a kind of general grumbling, as it is the habit of elderly people. :|bl )

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »

there is already a certain amount of very obvious wear where the bellows joins the right-hand side of the instrument.
Yes, that wear shouldn't progress. I think you could play a little bit with the length of the straps. If you put the instrument a bit further to the left on your chest, than the strap should not stop rubbing against the bellows. Also, maybe the box shouldn't be put too tight onto your chest.

(The comment on thumbstraps wasn't too serious but more a kind of general grumbling, as it is the habit of elderly people. :|bl )

I've let the right strap out as far as it will go and have the left a bit shorter, but since I'm about 6'10", nothing every fits me correctly. :D

Easy with the inside jokes for a bit. I'm new and impressionable. :D

Notice I didn't say young and impressionable.

Will
Will

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »

My solution is cheap, as befits a Yorkshireman who HASN'T learned how to play "Delilah" yet. If you go to almost any motor accessories shop, you can buy pairs of pads, which are designed to fit to a car seat belt and prevent it from chafing one's shoulder. If you take one of these, open it up and use it to cover your lovely brass belt buckle, one cause of melodeon damage is immediately removed. If you then cut the other one in half and suitably treat it (ie sew up the cut end), this can then be fitted in a similar way to cover melodeon strap buckles and protect whatever they would be chafing against. Quod erat demonstrandum!

My device will be available for display at the melnet meet.  :|glug

Chris B.

PS: I like thumb straps when possible, but only on light boxes.  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »

Thanks, Chris.

I had considered making a sort of "melodeon bra" that attaches to the feet on the bass side and wraps around the main body under the voice buttons/couplers(?) on the melody side. It would have to be stretchy fabric, but could be done fairly cheaply.

Your idea is even better. :)

I'll find some suitable material and give that a try.

On a side note: How would I best go about mending the wear that is already extant on the bellows material? Would pictures help?

Will
Will

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Shoulder_Straps.html#34

Thanks, Les.

I think the ones I've got will be fine, but a good link to have for future reference.

Will
Will
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal