Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Casali - accordion makers, or a merchant/importer's brand?  (Read 9667 times)

george garside

Re: Casali - accordion makers, or a merchant/importer's brand?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:34 AM »

does anyone know where and by whom  the 50's, 60's  3 row 3 voice casali BCC#  was made.  Mine has a nice quality feel about it

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

does anyone know where and by whom  the 50's, 60's  3 row 3 voice casali BCC#  was made.  Mine has a nice quality feel about it

george

Aye, I've got a 48 Bass 3 Voice Casali B/C/C# and I'd love to know more about the provenance of these instruments. 
...been here and gone...All the way from Luthermuir..Fiddle player, Harmonica wheezer and Melodeon wrestler

B/C Double-Ray Black Dot; Guidi 1-Row C; B/C Double-Ray Deluxe; Frontini B/C; Casali B/C/C# 48 Bass; Hohner Club II C/F and a bit

triskel

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »

Somebody in Klingenthal must have been very busy churning them out as "house brand" models for various concerns in Britain and the United States!

He was Hugo Rauner;D

While I've been looking through my copies of Accordion Times, for 1936-7, I've also come across adverts for Rauner accordions being marketed in Britain, by Juviler and Waters Ltd., and one of those instruments popped up on eBay this evening - but with a common Klingenthal design of grille instead of the Art Deco one. So I thought I'd check Google images and found this one: A Vintage Hugo Rauner Virtuoso Piano Accordion; in a cream pearline case, which (with some sections picked out in black, and the name in the central cartouche) makes more sense of the grille design in question than any of the others...

There's another example, with red in the design, in my photo below:

triskel

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 02:32:43 AM »

Aye, I've got a 48 Bass 3 Voice Casali B/C/C# and I'd love to know more about the provenance of these instruments.

I believe they must have been made in Osimo (SW of Camerano and Scandalli's influence, and NW of Castelfidardo), either by Ab. Orfeo, 1950-62 (previously Ab-Orfeo di Lea Teodori, 1945-51) and/or Ildo Busilacchio & F.lli., 1947-84.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

Just to throw this into the mix. A few photo's of my old Casali B/C/C#

Sir John

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51227610@N05/sets/72157644959221215/
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

Great! Now if a few more people (including Orfeo, and Busilacchio owners too) were to do similarly, we might learn something...

I've a Rosetti brochure (from the '60s) for the Busilacchio boxes that they were selling at the time, which shows piano accordions with similar bass ends, whilst the red Casali 3-row, 8-bass one in the Button Box Gallery, on the Button Box Forum, has a grille that shares elements with the typical Busilacchio 21-key, 2-row boxes.

I might be playing a few tunes with the other box, lurking in the background of your pictures, tomorrow.  ;)

pgroff

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

Great! Now if a few more people (including Orfeo, and Busilacchio owners too) were to do similarly, we might learn something...

I've a Rosetti brochure (from the '60s) for the Busilacchio boxes that they were selling at the time, which shows piano accordions with similar bass ends, whilst the red Casali 3-row, 8-bass one in the Button Box Gallery, on the Button Box Forum, has a grille that shares elements with the typical Busilacchio 21-key, 2-row boxes.

Triskel,

I've seen Paolos also with a grille like that red Casali 48 bass in your post just above, not to mention this Baldoni (originally in A/D, LMMH, no coupler):

http://www.tedmcgraw.com/Baldoni_-_More_1940s_+_files/Hugh%27s21key.jpg

PG
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:24:24 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »

A few days ago I wrote:

Casali are an enigma. ... were they actual makers, ... or a merchant/importer's brand?  ???

And:

For that matter, I came across a 1936/7 model Casali PA on eBay, a few months ago, with "Made in Germany" (in small letters) below the name...  :o

Speaking of which, I looked at eBay this morning and came across photos of a very similar Klingenthal-made student PA with the same Art-Deco style grille as that German Casali, only bearing the Sears Roebuck house brand "Silvertone" and for sale in Texas.

They're obviously out of the same stable:

Have we added this Bartofini?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bartofini-Accordion-With-Case-Project-Accordion-No-Reserve-/332322325383

PG

Lars

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »

I think a special feature worth mentioning about the Casali (and related) brand is the reedblocks.

They seem to have a specific angling that I haven't seen in other boxes, where the top of the reedblocks taper in quite a lot towards the higher end, making the top reeds more angled to the soundboard than the lower pitched reeds on the same block.

This feature seems to have been present in all the boxes I've had with the typical Casali/Busilacchio keyboard (closed back, flat keyboard, long thumb-groove). 2x Casali, 2x Busilacchio and a Calvi. And even a box branded Ficosecco recently, with the same features.

I've come across a lot of metal soundboard boxes in this family, and though nice, the wooden soundboard ones are just in my top category for 'that' sound. Get some good reeds in a Busilacchio or Casali, and I have little more to ask for. Plus - generally cheaper than a Paolo Soprani ;)

fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »

Sir John

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51227610@N05/sets/72157644959221215/

...pretty well the double of mine..!!
...been here and gone...All the way from Luthermuir..Fiddle player, Harmonica wheezer and Melodeon wrestler

B/C Double-Ray Black Dot; Guidi 1-Row C; B/C Double-Ray Deluxe; Frontini B/C; Casali B/C/C# 48 Bass; Hohner Club II C/F and a bit

fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »

I believe they must have been made in Osimo (SW of Camerano and Scandalli's influence, and NW of Castelfidardo), either by Ab. Orfeo, 1950-62 (previously Ab-Orfeo di Lea Teodori, 1945-51) and/or Ildo Busilacchio & F.lli., 1947-84.

I've previously had a 4 voice Orfeo B/C/C# 80 bass  much of the work around the bass end and the fittings generally looked very similar.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal