Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Layout  (Read 1643 times)

joe

• Regular debater
Keyboard Layout
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »

I just started properly experimenting with my D/G Castagnari Dony, and noticed it is different from the 'standard' castagnari 2.5 row layout, in that the extra half row buttons are as follows:

Bb/G#  Eb/D  E/F  Bb/G#  Eb/D

does anyone know if this is the standard? I spent half my day at work working out how to play in different keys etc, using the wrong layout! (theres a lesson to be learnt there somewhere!)

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
Re: Keyboard Layout
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »

My D/G Dony has got

Eb/F  Bb/G#  E/D  Eb/F   Bb/G#

This is almost the same as the one shown on the keyboards layout section of this site, except that the middle button has an E rather than an F, providing the "dutch" reversal on the half row. Yours has this as well, but split over the 2nd and 3rd button.

The essential difference between yours and mine seems to be that yours has lost the lowest accidentals (Eb/F) to make room for the high Eb/D. I can see that this would be a good way of doing things on a G/C where you are playing more in the top octave, or even on a 3 voice box, but it seems a bit unusual on a 2 voice D/G.

I don't know which of these is standard, or whether there is an fact a standard. Maybe the layouts relate to when the instruments were made, or maybe they just do them in a variety of ways.

I bought mine straight off the shelf in an accordion shop in Wadebridge (before it became Hobgoblin!), and at the time I had no idea what to do with the half row, or the extra basses for that matter...it was just a beautiful sounding box. It turned out, though, that I really liked the layout as it gives you all the accidentals just where you need them,  you have an F natural in both octaves which is really useful, and I use that E/D reversal so much that I really miss it on a 2 row.

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »

If you go to http://info.melodeon.net/info/layouts/club you can see various 2.5 row layouts that have been or are standard(?)

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

If you go to http://info.melodeon.net/info/layouts/club you can see various 2.5 row layouts that have been or are standard(?)

Thats what I was looking at originally, hoping a pinted layout would help, byt will have to do my own.

I bought mine straight off the shelf in an accordion shop in Wadebridge (before it became Hobgoblin!), and at the time I had no idea what to do with the half row, or the extra basses for that matter...it was just a beautiful sounding box. It turned out, though, that I really liked the layout as it gives you all the accidentals just where you need them,  you have an F natural in both octaves which is really useful, and I use that E/D reversal so much that I really miss it on a 2 row.

I got mine after playing a Castagnari and just falling in love with the sound, getting used to the .5 row will take a bit of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal