Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABC editor for Mac with 64-bit compatibility?  (Read 1343 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
ABC editor for Mac with 64-bit compatibility?
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »

I'm currently using EasyABC 1.3.7.7 for Mac, running OS 10.14.6 Mojave, the latest versions of both.
Apple will not be updating Mojave in the future, but switching over to OS Catalina on which 32-bit software will no longer work; only 64-bit software will work.
EasyABC is ony 32-bit software so will not run on OS Catalina.

For the moment I will keep running OS Mojave, but at some future time (when all the bugs have been ironed out), I will probably need to upgrade to OS Catalina, for security updates as much as anything.

As far as I can see via on-line searching, there is not a 64-bit ABC editor available for Mac yet. Does anyone know differently?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: ABC editor for Mac with 64-bit compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »

No idea about native MacOS software, sorry.

But a workaround could be to simply use https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS and emulate the windows version of EasyABC.

Or get in touch with the developer of EasyABC and ask him kindly to release a 64bit version of his software.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »

Someone on the ABCusers group (developers, mostly) reports that they are working on updating EasyABC for 64-bit. It will be a little complicated (GUFFAW!), as there are several components that EasyABC uses that will also need doctoring. In the meantime hang onto your Mojaves, everyone.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »

Oh and another option that would work if you know how to use Python:

The creator of EasyABC (which is open source) holds its source code available on his website.
You can just compile it yourself or simply run the easy_abc.py file to start the program.
(I think it's written in Python 2, so be sure to use the right version or use the builtin '2to3' script.)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »

Thanks for the responses, chaps!

Oh and another option that would work if you know how to use Python:

The creator of EasyABC (which is open source) holds its source code available on his website.
You can just compile it yourself or simply run the easy_abc.py file to start the program.
(I think it's written in Python 2, so be sure to use the right version or use the builtin '2to3' script.)

I don't really understand what this means nor how it would work. Are you suggesting I could write my own version of a 64-bit code? I think that is really well beyond my coding skills which were last used in the 1970s with Fortran 4 and punched card readers (remember those? ;) )

Someone on the ABCusers group (developers, mostly) reports that they are working on updating EasyABC for 64-bit. It will be a little complicated (GUFFAW!), as there are several components that EasyABC uses that will also need doctoring. In the meantime hang onto your Mojaves, everyone.

That sounds encouraging, so let's hope the 64-bit version emerges soon. And in the meantime, yes, I will be sticking with Mojave!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal