Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idle Curiosity - Left-handed players  (Read 590 times)

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Idle Curiosity - Left-handed players
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »

I've met several players who play a regular melodeon the other way round over the years - normally they have an adapted box with another air button at the other end, some even play the air button with their little fingers!

Once we had a box commissioned for a guy who wanted a full left-handed melodeon with the notes reversed, stops and air-button on the other side ... so if you ever come accross an old mirror image Oakwood - it's probably the same one!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

jikeym

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »

I'm left handed but play a conventional melodeon the conventional way....lefty's are generally very ambidextrous : I play pool, lawn tennis and cricket left handed but I play table tennis and darts right handed....
In a previous life I was a piper and had a left handed set of Scottish smallpipes made. All very nice except they are virtually unsellable as about 0.000001% of pipers are left handed!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

This is the problem, selling your converted box on.
Q: How do you get a million Pounds £ ?
A: Set off with Two million and start a Fettling business.

Henry Piper

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

I'm Right Handed in all other respects, but play melodeons upside down, Ie treble end with the Left Hand, bass end to the right., and I shift my air keys to retain usage with the thumb. I can use the air key with my little finger if necessary, but it is tiring after a while, I tend to do this on Boxes I don't intend to keep permanently. I also play drums, and tend to play my cymbals "Cross handed", and lead most Rolls and other rudiments with the Wrong hand.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Beaver Brand 2 row in Bb/Eb,  2 row self built box in D/G from Hohner parts, Dry tuned Erica in G/C . Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.