Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luciano CF  (Read 2449 times)

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Luciano CF
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »

Today's last minute Friday afternoon purchase at Sidmouth. I've been looking for a cheap CF box for a while that isn't a Hohner (I just don't like Hohners). Saw this attractive looking red perloid box sat lonely on the shelf at Accordions of London (slightly better establishment now run by young couple instead of grumpy old man). It's sale price of £350 caught my eye. Very reasonable for a brand new, pristine box I thought. No Castignari but good enough for Border Morris. Made in Germany it said on the invoice. Doubtful I thought, probably Chinese. Then to my surprise when I get it out of its box, sticker on the back "Made in German Democratic Republic". So where has this box been for the past 20+ years. Obviously never played as bellows still stiff and crisp and no wear marks on buttons or the body. Somebody got a secret warehouse suffer with GDR boxes?

triskel

Re: Luciano CF
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »

Before I even read your post, the brand name "Luciano" in your title made me think of the old Accordions of London shop, off the Kilburn High Road. The previous owner, John Leslie, had several brand names that he got put onto instruments from different sources, and Luciano was one he used for instruments from the Weltmeister factory in Klingenthal.

So I guess any "secret warehouse" belongs to Accordions of London themselves...

pgroff

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »

Just to "disambiguate" for the record, the brand and maker discussed above is not to be confused with this box labeled with the name of (I believe, the musician) Armindo Luciani. This one is definitely Italian made and was formerly in the "Museum" historical collection of Alex Accordions, New York City. In the keys of Eb/ Ab (lower than G/C or F/Bb), pitched around A 449 and MMM with a very crisp sound from the excellent reeds, despite the very low key.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »

"Made in German Democratic Republic" shows that triskel is right.
Martin P - Can you post photo(s) of this box?
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

triskel

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »

... John Leslie had several brand names that he got put onto instruments from different sources, and Luciano was one he used for instruments from the Weltmeister factory in Klingenthal.

I've been trying to recall the name John Leslie/Accordions of London put on their "own brand" Italian piano accordions, and finally remembered that was "Jonelli" (made by Fantini in Castelfidardo).

And then (being just off the "High Street" of Irish London in the old days) they also got button accordions made for them branded "Soprani" (nothing to do with Paolo Soprani, except they were made by Mengascini, also in Castelfidardo, who did build some later ones for Paolo Soprani along the way...).

martinpratt

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:08:21 PM »

Photos of box as requested.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »

Slightly off topic but related to the brand: I have repaired a rather nice smallish Luciano CBA ( can't remember how many bass, but maybe 60). There was a minor problem with the bass machine. Very light and attractive and sounded pretty good too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal