Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Morris Women  (Read 3664 times)

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Question for Morris Women
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »

Something of an identity crisis there, Lester!  The only generally recognisable Cotswold kit is the bell pads, being worn with a typical, modern Border side kit!  I guess that would be a generic option for a single player to encapsulate all the nuances of morris kit - just substitute a bowler hat with ribbons to cover the North West tradition.

Actually we have a few sides in the area whose kit seems to be from the "wrong" tradition.  Luckily the border side (which started life as Cotswold) changed their kit to suit.  Being formed during a church function they had a source of ecclesiastical shirts to start with.

Rob.

Matthew B

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »

Thanks to all for the suggestions, links, and input.  A most particular thanks to Helena.  Black pants are an excellent idea. 
We're now getting a sense of the project's scope and we'll start figuring out how to make it work.  My daughter has some very clearly defined ideas of what's acceptable, and quite a lot of the kit can be cobbled together from things we can easily get hold of.

Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

I'm a Morris woman, both dancer and musician, who is with a mixed Cotswold side.  All, except for one, of our musicians are also dancers so they wear the same as the dancers, with an additional jacket etc when playing in Winter.  White trousers and shirt maybe waistcoat, and/or baldrick , is fairly traditional for Cotswold.  We also have a black trouser option for when we are dancing somewhere that might be wet, muddy etc.

http://www.cryhavoc.org.uk/

P.S.  matching earrings are optional !!
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »

From a practical perspective one outfit you really can't go wrong with is black trousers, white shirt, black waistcoat and red neckerchief - or what I call the unofficial uniform of the tarting morris musician
Hmm, seems to be pretty much what I wear . . . what you saying?
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal