Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now that I've got the melodeon(s) - where would YOU start?  (Read 4436 times)

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
Re: Now that I've got the melodeon(s) - where would YOU start?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

I have played in all sorts of places ignored not punched. If its declubbed treble side treat is exacly the same on both sides at this stage. There is only one difference on the bass pull were you have a major chord in both directions on hohner Cg you get the minor in one direction pull which will fit solo. Only to worry about that down the line remember you dont have to play both sides all of the time.Indeed when you start to mix you will have to learn not to play a bit.I once asked a gd player to drop the chords to help the other chord players and he indignantly said "why would I want to play half an instrument". You either get it or dont the only thing you have done is take up the diatinic accordeon IMHO you cant to anything wrong from now on.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

Erm.... Melissa, you said 'DC'
Just had a thought. Are you aware there are Morris sides in Washington?
These lovely people spent a couple of days with us last summer
http://www.uswet.com/RCMW.html

....and there are other Morris sides in Washington too. Take a google trip!
Morris often means melodeon players are their musician. Might give you a chance to meet people and pick brains ' in the flesh' so to speak.
Just a thought!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »

Erm.... Melissa, you said 'DC'
Just had a thought. Are you aware there are Morris sides in Washington?
These lovely people spent a couple of days with us last summer
http://www.uswet.com/RCMW.html

....and there are other Morris sides in Washington too. Take a google trip!
Morris often means melodeon players are their musician. Might give you a chance to meet people and pick brains ' in the flesh' so to speak.
Just a thought!
Q

Just took a look. Most of the sites are bare bones and mostly for dance groups. Virtual "looking" fits better for now. I will stink as a player for a long time (if not forever). Thanks for thinking about it for me though!
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

Ok fair enough.
You might find if they're dancing out somewhere they might be worth a look. Morris people tend to be welcoming and free with advice and help.
as said, just a thought.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »

Morris musicians are also just that ... musicians. It's quite likely that they'll have an idea of the local folk and traditional music scene.

Melissa Sinclair

• Regular debater
  • Got my first squeeze... box(es)
    • Melissa's Melodeons
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »

Morris musicians are also just that ... musicians. It's quite likely that they'll have an idea of the local folk and traditional music scene.

That is true, but I am not able to "go and do" much now. It's one of the reasons I chose this instrument. I can do it at home, on my own time, and with videos, books, and kind people like you all.

If this really takes off for me, I will try to fit some of that in. My life "hopefully" won't be this hectic forever.
Plunking on my 1st box: Vintage burl Hohner in GC,  a lonely Hohner Liliput in CF, and a borrowed Streb to have a "silent Melodeon" and a melodeon of many keys!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »

I was thinking more of go and look and listen.
It's always enjoyable to watch someone play live and if in a real situation, just nice to go and talk, chat, have a beer and just talk boxes.
The whole world of Morris music can be complex, adding another layer to learning, but box players the world over love to talk boxes.... That was my thinking really.

It was just a thought, I really don't want to push you into a thing at all, now you have your new box the important thing is to go and get to know it whilst enjoying the experience!
Q
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:57:21 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

Grape Ape

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 02:08:11 AM »

Have I missed the suggestion to just noodle about and see what happens?  It is how I spent my first month or so, and by the time I got around to learning actual tunes, I feel I already somewhat knew my way around the box.  I also agree with all the above that suggest simple tunes that you know well to start.  Twinkle Twinkle, Frere Jacques, Mary had a little Lamb, Christmas songs, none are wasted repretoire when children are in the room or it's Christmas.

Also, I am confused by what was said in response to your question about the declubbed treble but still clubbed bass.  To put it simply, the treble side should be the exactly the same, except for the added accidentals row.  The bass end, you do not lose a bass chord combination, but gain one.  On a GC, this is the F bass/chord that plays the same notes each direction, on a club accordion, you get an additional chord bass combo on the push, sticking with the GC example which would be Bb.  I should like to club the basses on all my accordions as I have yet to find the tune that requires whatever part to played on the push F that can't be replicated using the pull F.

One last thing, a very wise old member of this forum who sadly I have not heard from for a minute, once said, "If you can hum it, you can play it."  He is quite right as it turns out.  The hard part is not humming it wrong.

Kim B

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »

Hi, reading through the teaching learning forum trying to learn as much as I can. Hope you can help me understand  a couple of points in your post. What does clubbed, or clubbing basses refer to, and what is the benefit? Additionally, you mention not finding a song that can't be replicated by playing the f pull. What does that mean? 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »

Hi, reading through the teaching learning forum trying to learn as much as I can. Hope you can help me understand  a couple of points in your post. What does clubbed, or clubbing basses refer to, and what is the benefit? Additionally, you mention not finding a song that can't be replicated by playing the f pull. What does that mean?
The Club system was developed in Germany (I'm not sure when; in the 1920s?) and is a keyboard layout designed to maximise a smooth cross-row playing style, especially on the pull. The characteristics of the Club layout are (i) a duplicated note on the middle of the inside row, and known as the 'Gleichton'. On a C/F box this will be a C in both directions. Then (ii) on the left hand bass end, there are a pair of basses and chords which play Eb/Bb, instead of the usual Bb/Bb which you would expect to find on a non-Club box.

The Club system layout is here:
http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/CFclub30.png

The Club system has many adherents, but unfortunately that doesn't include me, so I'm not best placed to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of the system.

Many Club boxes have had the Gleichton and the Club basses/chords retuned to the more conventional diatonic tuning. This is what 'de-clubbing, means. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal