Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1930's Hohner renovation - reed plates screwed onto leather or waxed?  (Read 1071 times)

Adam Cooper

Folks -
I am in the process of renovating a 1930's Club III which had its reeds held down by small brass screws with washers, with the reed bedded onto leather. In brief, I am wondering whether to refit with wax, as current practice in melodeon construction. Will this affect the tone, for example.

My natural inclination is to simply refit the reeds onto the leather; it is somewhat compressed but not much affected by having removed the reed plates. ... and to tolerate a little leakiness.
One issue is that it appears that the small brass screws have all been hammered into the block! Most are slightly bent and quite a few of the holes must have been damaged, for there is barely any bite from the screw thread. Sometimes the block has split, and on one place there are two sheared off screw shanks. It all feels a bit insecure, and the washers don't allow for a good overlap of the valves around the slot.

I don't really want to faff about and end up with something that is just unsatisfactory. Equally, it seems a bit gratuitous to remove original material and replace with wax just because thats how we do things now...

What are your experiences, opinions, ...?

Cheers, and TIA,
Adam
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:07:11 AM by Adam Cooper »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: 1930's Hohner renovation - reed plates screwed onto leather or waxed?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:10:41 AM »

Reeds screwed down onto gasket material is not a method just from the past. It is the way the highest quality instruments are built.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: 1930's Hohner renovation - reed plates screwed onto leather or waxed?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:19:28 AM »

I'm hugely inexpert, but if it's a keeper and you intend to play it, then you need to do the most durable and cost efficient job with what you have. Seeing as the screwing down job has damaged the woodwork and some of the screws, it would seem that waxing might be the preferred and easier option, IMHO, of course!
Whilst I'm sure that Theo is perfectly correct, I would contend that a better job than gasket (which is bound to soak up some of the soundwaves or whatever) would be to have perfect surfaces which didn't need a gasket to seal them, then all vibrations would be transferred just as they are without any distortion.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal