Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SPECIALLY COMMISSIONED CASTAGNARI  (Read 9378 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
Re: SPECIALLY COMMISSIONED CASTAGNARI
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »

Had a play on this box today.  The right hand sound is awesome!  If the production boxes sound the same then this is one glorious box.

Steve

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »

I've had a good chance to play the new box over the last couple of days or so, away from the background noise of the craft fair hubbub, and including a comparison with its nearest equivalent, the Laura - Castagnari's standard production model two-row two-voice box.

Both instruments are superb, but subtly different from each other. The new box (the Jilly, as Pete and his family are calling it) is fractionally larger than the Laura. The Laura has a slightly brighter, more edgy sound, while the Jilly is smoother and slightly more mellow, perhaps due to the greater volume air space inside as a result of fractionally larger dimensions. Both instruments respond instantly and can go from a whisper to a full-blown morris fortissimo, but for concert/gigging use, my preference would be for the Jilly, simply because I personally prefer its more flexible and creamier sound. But otherwise there is very little to choose between them. Two very fine instruments indeed!

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

goon-heaven

• nul
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

Thank you Steve for your helpful review and comparison.

Hey Pete: I am very interested to learn what your motivation was for commissioning Jilly.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »

I see the price is not that much more than the Laura. Tempting !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

Having had a brief play at Whitby today, I agree with those who have already said that it is a beautiful box and that the right hand is fast and responsive with a sweet sound that can be sensitive or powerful depending on the playing style. I also like the way in which the buttons on the inside row are raised a bit further from the finger board due to the rather pretty wooden platform on which they are mounted. The one thing I wasn't entirely sure about was the basses. It may be my ear (everybody hears things differently) or the acoustics in Whitby Leisure Centre, but I found the basses a little bit weak in comparison with the right-hand end. I would like to try it again in a different environment to see whether or not it was just a freak of the acoustics in the Leisure Centre.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »

... but I found the basses a little bit weak in comparison with the right-hand end. I would like to try it again in a different environment to see whether or not it was just a freak of the acoustics in the Leisure Centre.
Bob - that was not my experience. I did try out both the Jilly and Laura in a quiet environment and a weak left-hand end was not something I noticed. The Jilly was perfectly balanced in my opinion.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »

I've had a play on it at Whitby. I haven't tried playing a Laura, but can compare with my Dino Baffetti/ Oakwood prototype, which is a very responsive box.
Listening to it, Mary thought the Jilly could go quieter than my DB (so would be useful for song accompaniments).
Having slightly more bellows area it's less likely to run out of air.
21 buttons vs. the DB's 19.
4th button start but the demo model wasn't my usual choice of low notes.
The keyboard fretwork makes better balance between inner and outer rows.
Slightly larger size gives the basses more depth.
Of course it's a lovely looking and distinctive box.
I couldn't justify the expense for another box that does everything my DB does, albeit somewhat better, but if I didn't have the DB it would be an easy choice.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

I've played this too , and was so impressed that I've ordered one !

The dynamic range is incredible , from a whisper to full on . The sound is sweet , but is in no way a shrinking violet . The bass balance is fine .

I was playing a hornpipe in the far corner of the leisure centre . Someone heard it when they came in over all the other noise going on , and cane over to see what it was as they'd never heard another box like it .

I've got the same Dino as Anahata , and I thought and decided to have both , they are different . The Jilly particularly scores on the reed dynamics
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

Will there be other tunings? And if so, is there any reason that lower voices might not be as successful?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »

No problem with other tunings,I have no reason to believe they will not be as good as this one,there is no problem with other models in other tunings.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »

Thanks Pete. Really look forward to trying one out.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 01:33:22 PM »

I also played it. and can only agree with what everyone else said... (:) (:)
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

... but I found the basses a little bit weak in comparison with the right-hand end. I would like to try it again in a different environment to see whether or not it was just a freak of the acoustics in the Leisure Centre.
Bob - that was not my experience. I did try out both the Jilly and Laura in a quiet environment and a weak left-hand end was not something I noticed. The Jilly was perfectly balanced in my opinion.

It must be my hearing then. I'll get my ears syringed and then have another play/listen.  :|bl

It's a gorgeous box and I love the melody end. I'll probably also love the bass end when I hear it again.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 06:57:56 AM »

Funnily enough I was listening carefully with my father-in-law about 5 metres back when Bob was playing it we both said the bass was softer.  It may we'll have been the acoustics of the room though.....A vast sports hall with hard floors and walls is far from an ideal listening environment

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »

Interested whether the prototype has bass stop to take thirds out - and how much difference this could make to balance between bass and treble end. Of course, it's also down to preference as well.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »

Interested whether the prototype has bass stop to take thirds out - and how much difference this could make to balance between bass and treble end. Of course, it's also down to preference as well.

Yes - it has a stop to remove the thirds from the chords.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »

I have just had confirmation from Castagnari re the name for the new box

''I honestly think that you had a great idea and I fully support your decision to market it as Jilly''

It is now official,it is to be called ''Jilly''

They will be available in Maple and Cherry [pic asap] and will have Acorn Instruments logo on the bass plate

Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »

''I honestly think that you had a great idea and I fully support your decision to market it as Jilly''

It is now official,it is to be called ''Jilly''

They will be available in Maple and Cherry [pic asap] and will have Acorn Instruments logo on the bass plate

(:)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »

It is now official,it is to be called ''Jilly

I'm really pleased about that. When I played it, albeit briefly, it felt like a box Jill would have loved - light, bright and expressive. I am sure it will prove very popular.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »

Hear! Hear!  ;D  :|||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal