Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Sausage Island  (Read 2840 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Blue Sausage Island
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »

Thought I 'd inculcate this little number into the melodeon milieu. Cliff Stapleton is a gurdy player who AFAIR comes out of north London and was for some time in Blowzabella. He's written some fantastic (and technically English) tunes over the years including the immortal 'Man in the Brown Hat'.  Sadly no one has ever managed to get him to properly publish these.

'Blue Sausage Island' appeared a little over 10 years ago and Cliff plays it in gurdy Dm. Thought I'd try it on 2 row and it was remarkably fluent in Em albeit one's index finger does cross to the 'accidentals' a bit.

I've transposed Steve Mansfields's ABC into the D/G friendly key in case anyone else wants a go. Health warning: doesn't play up and down the rows! You need those accidentals as it's in a mode of harmonic (Gmtoo much transposing!) Bm, and I guess it might be slightly less fluid if your plate is the other way over from mine (A#=Bb on pull).

But I promise you - it's there D2R

In Em __________________________
X: 146
T:Bluesaussis
T:Blue Sausage Island
M:C
L:1/8
C:Cliff Stapleton
R:Schottische
Z:Steve Mansfield => Em by Chris Ryall
K:D
EFG^A B^ABc | d2c2 B^ABc | dBcd e2f2 | g4 f2e2 | EFG^A B^ABc |
d2c2 B^ABc | dBcd e2f2 | e4 B2e2 :: egBe gBeg | f2e2 defd | egBe gBeg
| f2e2 d4 | egBe gBeg | f2e2 defd | e^dBe =d2G2 |1 ^ABGB F2E2 :|2 ^ABGB F4 ||

A slightly different version in Dm here in MIDI
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:02:52 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

Re: Blue Sausage Island
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

Good fun - one of the weirdest Schottische's I've played - but good. The Dm version is the one for me.
Thanks Chris.
AL

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »

D minor version - as per Steve. I think Cliff plays slightly different notes, but as you know I'm no dots person C

In Dm __________________________
X: 146
T:Bluesaussis
T:Blue Sausage Island
M:C
L:1/8
C:Cliff Stapleton
R:Schottische
Z:Steve Mansfield http://www.lesession.co.uk
K:C
DEF^G A^GAB | c2B2 A^GAB | cABc d2e2 | f4 e2d2 | DEF^G A^GAB |
c2B2 A^GAB | cABc d2e2 | d4 A2d2 :: dfAd fAdf | e2d2 cdec | dfAd fAdf
| e2d2 c4 | dfAd fAdf | e2d2 cdec | d^cAd =c2F2 |1 ^GAFA E2D2 :|2 ^GAFA E4 ||

PS Thanks Simon (below) - not seen it but "at last". IMHO Cliff will one day be a bit of a legend. Still not got the lovely, bed-bound (never know your luck?) Dream Waltz, and had actually forgotton that one. Haven't been to Kinnersley since 2004 C
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:40:27 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »

Thought I 'd inculcate this little number into the melodeon milieu. Cliff Stapleton is a gurdy player who AFAIR comes out of north London and was for some time in Blowzabella. He's written some fantastic (and technically English) tunes over the years including the immortal 'Man in the Brown Hat'.  Sadly no one has ever managed to get him to properly publish these.

Chris

A lot of Cliff's tunes are in the new Blowzabella tune book including this one and my favourite which is called something like Gloryflower? I love the Dream waltz as well. He's also had some published in the Bagpipe society journal. It's a real shame that the orignal Encyclopedia Blowzabellica is out of print  - I think Dave Mallinson bought the rights to it a while back with a view to republishing one day.

Simon

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »

Encyclopedia Blowzabellica is out of print  - I think Dave Mallinson bought the rights to it a while back with a view to republishing one day.

I cannot imagine Mally's motive might have been ... Anything to do with stopping the playing of Anglo-French tunes in Ango-Irish sessions  ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

I cannot imagine Mally's motive might have been ... Anything to do with stopping the playing of Anglo-French tunes in Ango-Irish sessions  ::)

Soon after the transfer of stock from Matt Seattle, Mally's van was stolen...>:(

...while still full of most of the Dragonfly stock and (critically) the original pre-digital artwork.:(

However,some of the former Dragonfly publications are now beginning to re-emerge... the Great Northern Tunebook for one. And Dansons La Morvandelle! for another.

Hopefully, the original Blowzabella Book will return... and the Massif Central tunebooks, perchance...?

Ed J
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:01:14 PM by EeeJay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal