Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arangement of reeds on 3 voice MMM  (Read 1052 times)

Adam Cooper

Arangement of reeds on 3 voice MMM
« on: August 19, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »

Folks-
I have a 3 voice Club in C/F in which the two main scales are arranged across three reed blocks as:
block 1: M0 and M+ for C
block 2: M- for C and M- for F
block 3: M0 and M+ for F

(M0 denotes concert pitch, M- a few cents lower, M+ a few cents higher)

Is there any reason why this is better than putting the M- and M+ on the same block? This arrangement would make for easier tuning (to my naive analysis) since it will make it easier to adjust that pair to get the desired main (highest frequency, which I think would be perceived as being "main") beat.

I wonder, though, whether the existing arrangement has been chosen on acoustic grounds. While I can see that the phase difference between the three similar frequency oscillators will give rise to different beat patterns (specifically the extent to which there are alternating strong and weak beats), I'm having trouble working out whether arranging the reeds M0/M+ (or M0/M-) will help to give consistent behaviour. My hunch is that coupling via the air and through the fondo will win out anyway.

I'm interested in empirical and theoretical observations.

Cheers, Adam

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
Re: Arangement of reeds on 3 voice MMM
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »

Could this just be to streamline the production process, in that the M0 and M+ blocks could be common to the 2 voice model?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Arangement of reeds on 3 voice MMM
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »

If I was building one I would use the same arrangement, then fit a stop slide on the central M- block to give the option of two voice M0 M+.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal