Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: non matching reed types?  (Read 917 times)

bellowpin

• Regular debater
non matching reed types?
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »

it is normal for paired reeds to be the same type and maker .   but there are exceptions to this rule.
   there is currently a topic on a mystery Saxony box ,with one long reed plate and one block with individual reed pairs.
    also the new range of boxes from oakwood . one model with brass reed plates matched with normal aluminium plates.   this is a configuration that is rare and not been talked about before?   
     of coarse sometimes a used box as to be repaired and different makers reeds may be used for reasons of cost or ignorance!   I am interested in the effect this may make to the sound.  what is our collective knowledge on this subject.   thanks in advance brian..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:29:29 PM by bellowpin »
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

bellowpin

• Regular debater
Re: non matching reed types?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

[quote author=bellowpin link=topic=21008.msg252306#msg252306 date=15   
     of coarse sometimes a used box as to be repaired and different makers reeds may be used for reasons of cost or ignorance!   I am interested in the effect this may make to the sound.  what is our collective knowledge on this subject.   thanks in advance brian..
[/quote]

does anyone have experience of mixed reeds?    Italian reeds tend to have a more "pure" sound and a sweetness,  while hohner reeds can be more brash . has anyone experimented with mixing them?   brian..
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »

I did put some brass plate/steel Picolo reeds into an otherwise zinc plate/steel reed small PA and you couldn't tell the difference. Also some of the bass reeds had dural plates and ditto.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »

A while ago Theo tuned up a set of Antonelli reeds for me which included a couple of Hohner reeds, once the work was done there was no discernable difference in sound throughout the set.
 I also replaced the bass/chord reeds from the same set with Hohner Bass end reeds in a Hohner style box, which gave an altogether better balanced sound to the instrument, I found the Italian bass/chord reeds too loud and "Brash" but the combination of Antonelli's plus a few Hohners on the treble side, with all Hohners on the bass end gave a much more satisfying result.
I think with the possible exception of really top class Hand made reeds, the differences in sound are largely the result of peoples hearing what they expect or want to hear !!.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

blafleur

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

I've done quite a bit of mixing, starting out as an experiment since my accordions are tuned dry.  I thought that with a dry tuned LMMH accordion, on M row does not much except provide a little extra depth and volume. But I wondered if swapping one M row to a different brand or plate material.  Like many sound experiments, it makes a difference, but won't be noticed in most playing environments.  For example, Binci reeds seem to have a bassy tone, compared to the more sharp tone of Ciccarellis, and mixing one with the other provides a little balance and slight contrast.  Same with adding a brass plated row to a set of aluminum plated set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal