Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: D/G Weekend at Halsway - June 2018  (Read 13536 times)

RachelAtHalsway

• Good talker
D/G Weekend at Halsway - June 2018
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »

Hello all,

Halsway D/G Weekend confirmed for next year  (:)

22-24 June 2018, tutors are Andy Cutting, Anne Niepold, Hazel askew.

Details here: https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/halsway-dg-melodeon-weekend/

R x

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: D/G Weekend at Halsway - June 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

I have never done a workshop and I like the sound of this. I like the sound of the Leveret course, the week before, as well. The date of that course would suit me better but I'm not sure which I would get the most from. Anyone done anything like this who could advise?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:18 PM »

I went to the melodeon weekend last year - really enjoyed it - good venue and excellent tutors - highly recommended IMHO. This year I'm going to both the Leveret weekend (first one of those for me), AND the melodeon weekend. I need to find somewhere nearby to stay for the week in between where I can practice !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »

I'm up for the second one, the DG course.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »

What sort of stuff did you actually do Julian?  As I said I never been to a workshop. I don't really know what  happens at them.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »

If the melodeon course didn't start on my wife's birthday, I would definitely be up for that. As it is, I am looking for points of reference to balance up the pros and cons. I still don't know what I would actually do on either.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

Greg, you can treat your wife to a lovely weekend away......she can take in the beautiful countryside whilst you go and learn!
Seriously, it is encouraged even, check out their blurb.
Might see you there then, Julian and I promise to behave..... p'raps  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »

I agree with Julian, a great weekend. Last year format was that attendees self select themselves into 3 groups, Total Beginners, Intermeadiate and Advanced. Then in rotation each tutor took each “grade” in turn. The workshops are mainly taught by ear with written music at the end. Whole weekend very relaxed and friendly. Also joy of tutor’s concert on Saturday evening.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »

Greg, you can treat your wife to a lovely weekend away......she can take in the beautiful countryside whilst you go and learn!

Q

My wife has has a deep loathing for melodeons. Nothing to do with my playing, as far as I know. She hated them before she met me.

I may well see you there, though. I'm definitely up for one of them.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »

She hasn't got to stay..... Go for long walks in the countryside!
.... But yes hope to meet up with you there.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »

There is also a PA course there a couple of weeks earlier  >:E

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

Yes, it's a good place to stay even if you don't play - I went to the English Fiddle weekend a few weeks ago accompanying my wife - I escaped massed fiddles by having very pleasant walks on the hills nearby. (And the concert was great). The coast is also close, as is a steam heritage railline. The only downside to Halsway is that there isn't a quiet space set aside to escape the music, and whilst the rooms are quite comfortable there isn't a TV. (Not that I minded !)
There are obviously sessions during the evening in the bar and because everyone eats together it's really sociable. Unlike MatW etc, I don't think music is generally sent out in advance and focus was more on learning by ear.
The tutors have different styles in teaching and of course in performance but are all really excellent. I'm still perfecting one of the tunes taught by Andy Cutting - Rain on the Woodpile ( Rob Harbron) - might be in the repertoire by next year !

Hope to meet up with several of you there...(if not in Wensleydale...!)

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

I went to the melodeon weekend last year - really enjoyed it - good venue and excellent tutors - highly recommended IMHO. This year I'm going to both the Leveret weekend (first one of those for me), AND the melodeon weekend. I need to find somewhere nearby to stay for the week in between where I can practice !

Oh great thanks Julian, so now that's TWO Halsway weekends I want to go on, in addition to the Blowzabella one we're already booked for  (:)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »

I have never done a workshop and I like the sound of this. I like the sound of the Leveret course, the week before, as well. The date of that course would suit me better but I'm not sure which I would get the most from. Anyone done anything like this who could advise?

I went on the melodeon weekend this year and the main focus of it was learning tunes (although there was also a bit of other stuff on how to vary tunes/how to improvise, etc.). For me the highlight of it was hearing Anne Niepold play, as I hadn't really come across a player like her before. I'm guessing the Leveret weekend will be much more like the EAC summer school (which Rob and Sam also teach on) - so less of a focus on learning tunes and more about musicality/how to play in an ensemble/how to improvise around a tune/how to get the right 'feel' in a tune and so on. 

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »

Having read the comments here & their blurb, I've decided to sign up for this...
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 11:29:54 PM »

I have reflected on potential outcomes and booked in for the Leveret course
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »

ah ok.... I'm only on the DG course so will miss you...........
One day we'll catch up!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »

ah ok.... I'm only on the DG course so will miss you...........
One day we'll catch up!
cheers
Q

:( (:)
Greg Smith

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »

Given in to temptation and booked this (x2 camping)  :|||: :|glug

Bring on the squeezy joy. 
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »

Oh great, - will see you there!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal