Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: D/G Weekend at Halsway - June 2018  (Read 13526 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: D/G Weekend at Halsway - June 2018
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

And it's Gill with a G, in case you ever need to know in the future.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tony Smith

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »

A great weekend at Halsway.  Really enjoyed the experience, the place, the wonderful workshop leaders, my lovely/friendly fellow attendees and the welcoming staff. I now have a whole new set of tunes that I need to work on - all very varied and interesting - but I really do need to work on them.  The evening concert was wonderful.  I hope to be able to go again next year.

Thanks to all involved.

Tony

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »

Yes wasn't it great?
My first ever at Halsway, and will be back next year. I found it a totally mind blowing experience, lots of ideas, tunes to work on, thoughts to process and brilliant laid back tutors. We too found everyone freindly and as you say, all totally welcoming, great accommodation, and excellent catering.
All in all a fantatic weekend.
See you next year!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

doctordoom

• Good talker
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »

What a great weekend!
The workshops with our lovely tutors were brilliant,  what characters, great to meet other diatonic accordionistas,  great food, accommodation and venue, thanks to everyone,  lots for me to work on.
Cheers John. 
Beginner, (absolute deleted after 2 years!)

RobLowe

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »

I've just put 'Lola Flexen' on and am now thinking about all the work ahead of me until next year  :Ph! What a great weekend - thank you to everyone at Halsway for looking after us so well, and to our three amazing tutors.  (:)

Rob

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

Another excellent weekend - a year to get 'Lola Flexen' right and I'll certainly be back next time. And two important lessons from Andy Cutting - aim to avoid 'parallel playing' in sessions and PLAY MORE SLOWLY !
Thanks to everyone at Halsway - and very much Andy, Ann and Hazel our great tutors, and all the accordeonistas (only one melodeon in sight...)for being such great company.

J

Old Bones Dance Band

RachelAtHalsway

• Good talker
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »

Thank you all for lovely comments, I am SO glad you enjoyed it and it was great to meet some of you.

Dates for next year are 21 -23 June.

I have spent today's lunch hour (well, half-hour) in the woods at Halsway 'playing' Lola - after a fashion :)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »

'playing Lola...' and what better way to spend a lunch time!
Thanks for th dates, we've already had a call. Adding the dates to the calendar now..........
thanks again
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »

Another excellent weekend - a year to get 'Lola Flexen' right and I'll certainly be back next time. And two important lessons from Andy Cutting - aim to avoid 'parallel playing' in sessions and PLAY MORE SLOWLY !
Thanks to everyone at Halsway - and very much Andy, Ann and Hazel our great tutors, and all the accordeonistas (only one melodeon in sight...)for being such great company.
What does Andy mean by 'parallel playing'?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

I understood it as - don't play your version at the same time as the person who has started the tune if yours is different. Just sit back and listen.....
Though I might have misunderstood the point.
What do other attendees think?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »

Parallel playing - to me it's really playing as individuals rather than collectively and without much attempt to listen to others. So - could be different versions of tunes going on, different tempo and rhythm etc. The bigger the session, the more likely this is to happen I reckon -not long ago I was in a session where there were two competing halves playing the same tune but about half a bar (of music!) apart - and it wasn't that big a room where acoustics can be a problem.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »

Parallel playing - to me it's really playing as individuals rather than collectively and without much attempt to listen to others. So - could be different versions of tunes going on, different tempo and rhythm etc. The bigger the session, the more likely this is to happen I reckon -not long ago I was in a session where there were two competing halves playing the same tune but about half a bar (of music!) apart - and it wasn't that big a room where acoustics can be a problem.

J

Yep, that pretty much defines it. I don't like sessions like that *grumble grumble*
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Geoff P.

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »

A few years ago, I attended a workshop given by Rob Harbron, who was talking about playing in groups. He was talking about more formal groups rather than sessions, but I think the same thoughts could (should?) apply to sessions.
Basically he was saying (to simplify it) that if someone, or small group, is already playing the melody, listen and try to complement it with (for example) a harmony or some judicious chords.

I felt that Andy was doing that effectively in the Halsway sessions.

One other possibility was taking over the melody, but only when it ran out of steam, not hijacking it.

Julian S

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 07:59:07 PM »

Yes Geoff - very much a key aspect at the Leveret weekend at Halsway.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tony Smith

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

By the way, if anyone has the abc or dots for Lola Flexen......it would be very useful.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »

By the way, if anyone has the abc or dots for Lola Flexen......it would be very useful.

Andy said the scores are all inside the Leverrt 'Inventions' album sleeve so you'll find it there although it will need transposing.  Had a quick look last night but can't find my copy- we rarely bother with actual CDs anymore so tend to file them on arrival. If I can find it Ill abcify and transpose it although I won't be sharing copyright material without permission of course.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »

Andy said the scores are all inside the Leverrt 'Inventions' album sleeve so you'll find it there although it will need transposing.  Had a quick look last night but can't find my copy- we rarely bother with actual CDs anymore so tend to file them on arrival. If I can find it Ill abcify and transpose it although I won't be sharing copyright material without permission of course.

Andy's not lying. I made the discovery last week. I don't think Leveret are precious about their dots, but it's only polite to ask permission before sharing.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »

J

Yep, that pretty much defines it. I don't like sessions like that *grumble grumble*
Thanks both!

Agreed - if you're in a session you should listen to whoever started the tune and play at their tempo and version, etc. It's bad session etiquette otherwise. Large, loud sessions are particularly at risk.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal