Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import MusicXML into EasyABC  (Read 5416 times)

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
Import MusicXML into EasyABC
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:24 PM »

I use EasyABC on Mac and in previous versions I have been able to import MusicXML files into the app and convert them to ABC without any problem. But since upgrading to the latest version (1.3.7.6) this I'm getting the attached error message. [The MusicXML files that I use are generated by Photoscore which converts scanned PDFs into music notation.]

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: Import MusicXML into EasyABC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »

I use EasyABC on Mac and in previous versions I have been able to import MusicXML files into the app and convert them to ABC without any problem. But since upgrading to the latest version (1.3.7.6) this I'm getting the attached error message. [The MusicXML files that I use are generated by Photoscore which converts scanned PDFs into music notation.]

Any suggestions?

I use 1.3.7.6 on a small W10 PC.  I just tried this with no problems on a random XML file.

Try this?

Load an ABC score into EasyABC
Export it as an XML file
Load that XML file back into EasyABC

Kinda screwy, but if it works, it maybe indicates that the problem is with the XML file from Photoscore?

Roger

Roger.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »

Good idea. I tried that and EasyABC will indeed import a MusicXML file that it has created. Which does suggest that Photoscore's file is the issue but it's frustrating that it was working OK in previous versions of EasyABC.

I don't suppose that anyone can translate the error message in order to figure out what's going on?

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »

I just tried using an online conversion tool

https://wim.vree.org/js/xml2abc-js.html

which had no problem converting my MusicXML to ABC. Which definitely suggests that EasyABC is the culprit. I guess I'll have to have an extra step for now.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »

I have an XML file exported yesterday from a Sibelius score written by my wife. Fouled up miserably in Muse Score and ABC Explorer (played okay but the display was attrocious) but works just fine in Easy ABC. Message me an email address and I'll send you the XML to try out.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »

Thanks for the offer Pete. Actually I have Sibelius too and my workaround up to this point has been to export from Photoscore to Sibelius and then Sibelius MusicXML to EasyABC. Maybe I can send you an XML from Photoscore and see how that fares in MuseScore and ABC Explorer.  It's all very annoying as Photoscore is a great app and I've used it a lot to turn existing tune books into ABC.

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

I've tried a few older versions and it turns out that the problem was introduced in 1.3.7.1 so I've rolled back to 1.3.7.0 to bypass any tedious workarounds. There are a few other annoying bugs in 1.3.7.6 that I won't miss.

Roger Hare

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »

...There are a few other annoying bugs in 1.3.7.6 that I won't miss.

Any chance you could list those bugs?

I have not had the XML problem that you describe (because I don't normally use
XML files), but I have had problems with the size of the font used to represent the
line numbers and text in the edit window suddenly and spontaneously shrinking...

Thanks.

Roger.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »

The specific bug that I have noticed involve changes to behaviour when closing documents. I'm on Mac and if I use Command+W to close a document then it's replaced with a new untitiled document in the background. However, if I click on the red button at the top left corner to close the window then this doesn't happen. If I use Command+W a lot (which is habitual for me) then I can end up with multiple untitled documents that i have to get rid of when I close the program.

None of which is major but it is annoying and it suggests to me that 1.3.7.6 causes more problems than it solves so I'll stick with 1.3.7.0 for now. I haven't noticed the issues that you point out but I'll keep a look out. Perhaps those of us who use EasyABC could keep a list of bugs on a thread for the benefit of other users and to provide feedback to the developers.

Cheers, Dave

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

I tried out Dave's XML file with mixed results, it will open in MuseScore but not in ABC Explorer or Easy ABC (1.3.7.5). It's difficult to compare my results directly with Dave's as we are using software of the same name but on Mac and PC platforms. I was under the impression that ABC Explorer could import XML but abc2xml and xml2abc are not in its toolkit so I don't see how it can.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:18:07 PM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Roger Hare

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »

The specific bug that I have noticed involve changes to behaviour when closing documents....

Snap! It's bloody infuriating...

... I haven't noticed the issues that you point out but I'll keep a look out

Thank you - that's good because it tends to re-inforce my suspicion that the spontaneous
re-sizing (shrinking) of edit window fonts may be OS-related - it's only happened on my
W10 machine so far.

I hear what you say about reverting to 1.3.7.0 - I now have a copy of this, but I rather like
the 'follow the bouncing ball' feature introduced at 1.3.7.1 - it helps me follow the tune as
it plays (I need all the help I can get!). Nothing is ever easy...

Roger
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:31:08 PM by lachenal74693 »

Roger Hare

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »

...Perhaps those of us who use EasyABC could keep a list of bugs on a thread for the benefit of other
users and to provide feedback to the developers.

Cheers, Dave

Taking you at your word, here is a list of the bugettes I am currently aware of - in no particular order:

1) Metronome markings specified with Q: are not reproduced on the screen correctly. All is well up to
a marking of 127, then 128 appears as -128, 129 as -127, 130 as -126, etc. The tune play OK, ie: at the correct
speed, it's just that the metronome marking at the top of the score is wrong - puzzling. [AFAIK, this one
has only ben observed by me. 128 is 2**7 - hmm...]

2) 'Cutting and pasting' text, either within an open file 'A', or from a different open file 'B' fails
on the first open copy of file 'A'. I have to open a second copy of file 'A' before I can 'cut and paste'.
This seems to clear itself after a cold re-start - which is a bit of a pain. [AFAIK, this one has only been observed
by me, and so far, only on a Windows 10 machine. (check - does it occur on W7?)]

3) I have seen sudden spontaneous reductions of the size of the font in the ABC edit window. Both the text
and the line numbers are reduced in size with no input from me. When re-set using the 'change editor font'
option in the 'View' menu, only the code font is re-set, the line number font stays in its unwanted reduced
size. This can be fixed by doing a 'cold restart', but this is a pain as all options (eg: Midi instrument) have
to be re-selected... [AFAIK, this one has only been observed by me, and so far, only on a Windows 10 machine.
After choosing another Ghostscript implementation, I have so far not seen the problem - is it operating
system/Ghostscript sensitive?]

4) A Macintosh user has reported that he cannot import XML files generated by other software - I am not a
Mac user so I cannot reproduce this one, but I can re-import XML files which are generated by EasyABC itself.

5) Changes to behaviour when closing documents. After closing a named file, when I subsequently try to exit
EasyABC, I see a window asking if I wish to save changes to a (new) file 'Untitled x'. This has been reported
by others, and I/we believe it started happening with 1.3.7.1.

As Dave T says, none of these are major, but they are irritating, so once I've let these fester for the next couple
of weeks, to see whether they 'fix themselves'(*), I'll submit them to the maintainers. I thought I should run
'em past the 'body of the kirk' to see if anyone can suggest fixes, or come up with any additions to the list.

R

(*) ie: by an uncommon, but not unknown reversing of the more usual 'software rot' process
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:36:06 AM by lachenal74693 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal