Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8th of January on Melodeon  (Read 4618 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: 8th of January on Melodeon
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »

I'll post me playing "Buffalo Gals" and "Oh, Suzanna" if anyone would find that interesting.
I would find it interesting, to see how you play the accordion. Because your 'conceptualisation' of music seems to be very different from mine.  (:)

Abgemacht! (Deal!) :)

I'll make a short video of both tomorrow.

Where can I post them?

Most of us use YouTube, it's free but you need a google login

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »

I'll post me playing "Buffalo Gals" and "Oh, Suzanna" if anyone would find that interesting.
I would find it interesting, to see how you play the accordion. Because your 'conceptualisation' of music seems to be very different from mine.  (:)

Abgemacht! (Deal!) :)

I'll make a short video of both tomorrow.

Where can I post them?

Most of us use YouTube, it's free but you need a google login

Ok. Thanks. Lester.

I'll take care of that tomorrow.
Will

Sebastian

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »

Where can I post them?
For example on Youtube. You can make them semiprivate, if you want to, so that it doesn't show up in search results or 'suggested videos', but is only accessible via its direct hyperlink (which you can put into a posting here on Melnet).

(Edit: Sorry, too late. Lester already answered the question.  (:) )

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 01:18:09 AM »

Watch the guitar player on the right. He's playing D on bar 1, G on bar 2 and A on bar 3 with a return to D on bar 4.

Yes, you're right. I thought, at first, he might just  be tuned drop D and actually playing an A chord disguised as a G  but you say that's a typical progression [edit. and that wouldn't actually work. It would be lower, not higher :|bl] . Looks like they simplify the chord progression to get the tempo they want and give the effect they want. I'd say, since you haven't got a pull G chord you have two choices. Either pick the pull E notes up from the A row or do what Theo says and play nothing for a beat. Theo's idea works best in my very humble opinion. What Rees said about playing on the G row seems to work uncannily well too. I think I've just learned something.
I have to say, I find the tempo challenging playing up and down the row. I would like to see a video of a good melodeon player doing this.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:15:09 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »

Watch the guitar player on the right. He's playing D on bar 1, G on bar 2 and A on bar 3 with a return to D on bar 4.

Yes, you're right. I thought, at first, he might just  be tuned drop D and actually playing an A chord disguised as a G  but you say that's a typical progression [edit. and that wouldn't actually work. It would be lower, not higher :|bl] . Looks like they simplify the chord progression to get the tempo they want and give the effect they want. I'd say, since you haven't got a pull G chord you have two choices. Either pick the pull E notes up from the A row or do what Theo says and play nothing for a beat. Theo's idea works best in my very humble opinion. What Rees said about playing on the G row seems to work uncannily well too. I think I've just learned something.
I have to say, I find the tempo challenging playing up and down the row. I would like to see a video of a good melodeon player doing this.

Thanks, Greg.

Yeah, I think if we end up playing this next week, we'll need to do it at dancing rather than bluegrass tempo. :)

I normally play the mando or double bass at these get-togethers, so tempo isn't as much of a consideration as it would be for the melodeon. But that's cool, too. Not all instruments are meant for the same purposes. I like to think of the melodeon as a true "band in a box" that is meant for the enjoyment of not just the player, but the listener and dancer and let's face it: No on (I know) want's to dance to a song running at over 260bpm. :)

Will
Will

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »

Also, having just discovered this morning that Lester does both Buffalo Gals and Oh, Suzanna on his outstanding Tune-A-Day site, I can see I've overcomplicated Oh, Suzanna by pitching it in D instead of G (I have to go to the G row to play the bit during the IV chord).

Once my phone has charged and I have gotten a bit more work done, I'll post my Buffalo Gals, but will take a raincheck on Suzanna. :D
Will

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »

It is good practice to learn to go to the G row for the IV chord. If you learn to do that now it will help your playing long term.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal